Fork maintenance failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not apart yet. Don't even have things put back together yet. The last of my parts arrived on Friday, just in time for what would have been a nice rainy wrenching weekend. However, I had family come to Texas so I dragged wife and kiddo down to Hill Country to hang out in my mom's cousin's expensive house and stayed in her guest house. No rain down there for most of the weekend so we did things like walk the dry creek bed, drink wine and eat BBQ. It was rough I tell ya, nothing like cursing over middle bushings.
biggrin.png

Well, get back and go right into this week with our big annual project at work. Been working long hours, come home, eat, work some more and go to bed. Thank goodness it's almost over, but I need the new gear in my server room. Hopefully this weekend I can attack my new parts because this driving the car thing suuuuucks. Watching the motorcycles zip by me in the HOV while I'm sitting there working a clutch and 6 speed transmission in 20mph traffic is painful. Plus, the weather has been freaking fantastic. This is the motorcycling weather I've been waiting all summer for. Ugh.

After I get the bike back up and running then I'll start thinking about getting those forks apart. Sorry for the delay. On the other hand, I did sit down last week and played with the bushings that came out of the other tube. I figured outside of the fork I should be able to push some bushings inside of the others, but I can't for the life of me see how it could be done. In theory it should be fairly easy but it's not so easy as you'd think.

not2shabby, that bushing looks seriously odd. Any up close pics of it?

Not apart yet. Don't even have things put back together yet. The last of my parts arrived on Friday, just in time for what would have been a nice rainy wrenching weekend. However, I had family come to Texas so I dragged wife and kiddo down to Hill Country to hang out in my mom's cousin's expensive house and stayed in her guest house. No rain down there for most of the weekend so we did things like walk the dry creek bed, drink wine and eat BBQ. It was rough I tell ya, nothing like cursing over middle bushings.
biggrin.png

Well, get back and go right into this week with our big annual project at work. Been working long hours, come home, eat, work some more and go to bed. Thank goodness it's almost over, but I need the new gear in my server room. Hopefully this weekend I can attack my new parts because this driving the car thing suuuuucks. Watching the motorcycles zip by me in the HOV while I'm sitting there working a clutch and 6 speed transmission in 20mph traffic is painful. Plus, the weather has been freaking fantastic. This is the motorcycling weather I've been waiting all summer for. Ugh.

After I get the bike back up and running then I'll start thinking about getting those forks apart. Sorry for the delay. On the other hand, I did sit down last week and played with the bushings that came out of the other tube. I figured outside of the fork I should be able to push some bushings inside of the others, but I can't for the life of me see how it could be done. In theory it should be fairly easy but it's not so easy as you'd think.

not2shabby, that bushing looks seriously odd. Any up close pics of it?
One thing really struck me about this post - you drank wine with BBQ?????

Really...wine with BBQ?!

Anyway, I checked Photobucket and thats the only pic I uploaded. I'll check my laptop later.

You can see the line around where the edge should be, but isn't! It got squished in there pretty good. IIRC, I kept pulling up/tapping down until it finally came out. I didn't see any damage to the inside of the lower leg which amazed me. The new bushings went in no problem. Now I wonder if I should have omitted the middle one...next time they get removed I could be in your shoes.

BBQ was for lunch, wine was consumed throughout the evening.
biggrin.png

I did have some wine while waiting on the BBQ to be brought to the table though.

biggrin.png

I did have some wine while waiting on the BBQ to be brought to the table though.
Oh dear... And all this happened in Texas? What was that line from Full Metal Jacket? Something about "Only steers and queers come from Texas! I don't see any horns on you!" For heaven's sake my friend, could you not have lied and said you were drinking beer? It is too late for me to disassociate myself from you now but you could have done better.

On the other hand now I am understanding why you have that sissy electric clutch thing on your bike...
uhoh.gif

Good luck with getting the thing back on the road. I do feel your pain with having to drive your car back and forth.

biggrin.png

Oh dear... And all this happened in Texas? What was that line from Full Metal Jacket? Something about "Only steers and queers come from Texas! I don't see any horns on you!"
At the risk of revealing my feminine side among this crowd on a Friday, that line was actually from "An Officer and a Gentleman."

Of course, I totally agree about the the wine vs beer thing...
smile.png

biggrin.png

Oh dear... And all this happened in Texas? What was that line from Full Metal Jacket? Something about "Only steers and queers come from Texas! I don't see any horns on you!"
At the risk of revealing my feminine side among this crowd on a Friday, that line was actually from "An Officer and a Gentleman."

smile.png
Uh, no. I cannot say what was said in "An Officer and a Gentleman" but I KNOW that in the Boot Camp Scene from Full Metal Jacket (because I just watched it on YouTube to be sure!) the drill sergeant was responsible for that "quote". It was closer to "Holy dog shit only steers and queers come from Texas! Are you a queer Private Cowboy?"

Of course, we as FJR pilots do not discriminate based on sexual preferences. If we did our friend Majicmaker would have been banned long ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrin.png

smile.png
Uh, no. I cannot say what was said in "An Officer and a Gentleman" but I KNOW that in the Boot Camp Scene from Full Metal Jacket (because I just watched it on YouTube to be sure!) the drill sergeant was responsible for that "quote". It was closer to "Holy dog shit only steers and queers come from Texas! Are you a queer Private Cowboy?"

Of course, we as FJR pilots do not discriminate based on sexual preferences. If we did our friend Majicmaker would have been banned long ago...
Yup...That line is from FMJ, but maybe was also in 'An Officer and a Gentleman" too. I donno about the second one. What I do know is, a good bottle of wine has nothing to be ashamed of. It seems I drink more wine than beer lately. More flavor, and not as heavy. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nothing wrong with a good Zinfandel, Cabernet, Syrah, Barbera or other red wine with smoked BBQ beef or pork. Of course, there is nothign wrong with enjoying a good beer either...unless it's made with wheat. Yuck!

Wait a minute. Was this thread about fork maintenance or BBQ?
pirate.gif
Hijack on!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I'm not ashamed of drinking wine. I'll drink wine or beer. Besides, I thought 70% of this forum was composed of distinguished gentlemen.

Ok...I laughed my ass off at that last part.
biggrin.png

2. When invited to spend the evening at a house in hill country and said house has a value with 6 zeroes on the end of it, and includes a guest house (where we stayed) and your host offers wine from the wine cellar...you don't ask for beer, you indulge.
biggrin.png

3. For those of you not fortunate enough to live in an area with the best BBQ in the world, I'll share one little photo from "The Salt Lick" that I took while there.

20131012_123813_zpsbda1df06.jpg

That is Very Good Stuff!

Now that I have been mean to you...

I fully agree with you about enjoying the hospitality of your host. If only I had married for money instead of... Why did I get married anyway?

At any rate, I will partake of the occasional glass of Merlot myself. You will understand that even though I knew it was wrong, I could not let an opportunity to agitate pass by.

Hey, it's Friday, right?
biggrin.png

I'm working...sigh. I'll be putting forks together this weekend though. Gonna be a maintenance weekend. DIY day tomorrow with the MINI club at the local dealership, changing oil, and then working on forks.

Just to help out on the "Drill Sgt. Quote".....
CLICKY!

DEFINITELY R. Lee Ermey from FMJ...
OK, it's apparently not uncommon for DI's, but, to my defense, Louis Gosset, Jr:

Summbitch!! There it is!...But, never, EVER having seen that gay-assed gender-grope of a movie, I'd never have known. But, Lou Gosset doesn't hold a DI's candle to R. Lee!

rlee%2Bermey1251379309.jpg

The god of wrenches hates me. Made it through an oil change on my car and the assembly of one fork...still needs oil though. Second fork, get it all assembled and there sitting all alone is the washer that goes under the seal. Careful slide hammering to get it apart and the lower bushing popped off the fork upper. WTF? Now how do I get all the bushings out?

Dangit Jasen! Put the wrenches down and step back! And say to yourself "I'll never pick up another wrench for as long as I live."

I swear that after reading this thread I just know the next time I service my forks.....I'm fooked. I feel the jinx is on.

Latest posts