Fork maintenance failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think the issue of the 'seized' fork is likely the lower bushing was jammed into the middle bushing while trying to take it apart. One needs to press the inner tube back down into the fork to unjam the two bushings, then try the whole thing over again. Is there a shop nearby with a press? If you think the seal is stuck, just poke it with a sharp awl and pry it out to eliminate that part of the deal.

I still think the issue of the 'seized' fork is likely the lower bushing was jammed into the middle bushing while trying to take it apart. One needs to press the inner tube back down into the fork to unjam the two bushings, then try the whole thing over again. Is there a shop nearby with a press? If you think the seal is stuck, just poke it with a sharp awl and pry it out to eliminate that part of the deal.

No, look at the last picture again. The fork is seized at (or very near) the bottom of its stroke. There is no way the mid bushing went down that far. The bore diameter is too small.

But I'm having a hard time visualizing what would seize the fork in that position. Maybe the lower bushing got mangled and mushroomed during the prior attempts to unseat the bushing(s) and then when he pushed it down the mangled bushing fetched up on... something.

With enough effort, these will come apart. The trick will be getting something to pull the smooth inner leg with. Maybe clean the surface with solvent and then wrap some rubber around it, then put a clamp of some type on it to give you something to pull against? UNtil you actually get these apart, you never really know how many parts you will need.

That other inner fork leg looks fine. Just polish out the light scratches and it'll be good to go. And yes, those are the tapered spindles. Interesting that you can get them out with the inner legs in on a 2nd gen. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't on my 1st gen.

Those bushings are FUBAR. How many miles on those things? You'd been riding on no teflon for quite a long time. I may want to go back to my position that the 2 bushing design is mo' better.

Yes, heat and tapping and sweat and curing got the inner fork tube pushed all the way down without it freeing up. In fact, it moved so slowly that it wasn't till I set it down and looked at it that I realized that it had been pushed back down.

As the prior owner had all kinds of records but no records of fork service, I'll say that they have 47K miles on them. Yea, they are pretty bad.

My bad, I hadn't noticed the inner tube is indeed pushed back in. Is the seal pried out to eliminate anything going on there, not that it should cause that much resistance? But I agree, somehow have to find a way to pull that tube out. Perhaps a triple clamp mounted in a vice to hold the upper tube, then some kind of slide hammer idea on the bottom tube say with the axle shaft mounted in......... Or similar concept where a machine shop may be able to make a tube clamp and try to rotate the tube as well. I'd be optimistic the tubes can be salvaged if they can be pulled apart. Certainly will be interesting to know what has caused the seized condition.

I'm going to guess the lower bushing is half off the stuck fork tube and has now totally scarred the inside surface of the lower fork leg making it useless. I would use the other fork tube to determine where the bottom of the stuck fork tube is and then saw the lower fork leg off so the stuck tube can be pushed out the bottom...and maybe reused.

If the lower is already trashed then cutting may work. But, I think Ray's (and my) idea about pulling the inner tube out in the normal direction (with a lot more force) the only possibly further damage would be to the outer (lower) tube. It shouldn't cause any further damage to the inner as long as care is taken in the clamping.

One method that may work to pull the fork apart would be to get a hold of an old cap and unscrew the preload adjuster and get a fair sized eyelet with a washer and nut on the backside of the cap so you have an attachment to pull on the inner tube once the modified cap is screwed back into the inner tube.

fork%20tube%20puller-M.jpg

Use a small length of pipe through the hole for the axle and strap the pipe down to something solid. Attach a chain fall to the eyelet on the modified cap and then start pulling while applying heat. This is a way to be able to pull the fork apart with tools that are easily available to most people. I have my own comealong but you can rent a set of chain falls at most tool rental shops.

Remember that there may be a substantial amount of force being applied. Pick your attachments points carefully, wear proper safety equipment and please be careful because once things start moving it could move very quickly. It is even conceivable to fracture the lower fork leg so once again please be careful if you decide to attempt this.

Those are some of the few parts he doesn't need. (He got those cartridges out fine before the seizure)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason - what parts do you need right now? There are a couple of Gen 2 lowers and inner fork legs on ebay now.
Hmm, missed this last night. You'll notice however one of those lowers is no longer available, and the number of uppers is down by one since you checked it.
biggrin.png

Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me guys!

Jason - what parts do you need right now? There are a couple of Gen 2 lowers and inner fork legs on ebay now.
Hmm, missed this last night. You'll notice however one of those lowers is no longer available, and the number of uppers is down by one since you checked it.
biggrin.png

Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me guys!
Jason - just so I'm clear on what you need - Gen 2 lower (both sides or just one?) fork sliders and fork tubes (one or both?)? PM when you get a chance.

No no no, those parts were sold to me.
biggrin.png

I should be good now, thanks for looking out!

Are you going to be tossing the stuck fork or are you going to try and take it apart? I know a number of us would like to know exactly what went wrong.

If you don't have the time or tools would you consider passing it along to someone willing to try and further investigate?

How about pouring in some liquid nitrogen to shrink the bottom bushing. Then pour it out and quickly crank the lower down in the vice and heave ho?

Don't they sell that stuff at 7-11 ;-)

Are you going to be tossing the stuck fork or are you going to try and take it apart? I know a number of us would like to know exactly what went wrong.If you don't have the time or tools would you consider passing it along to someone willing to try and further investigate?
I'm going to see what I can do to get it apart. If not, I've already had inquiries from someone who wants to pick up the parts for cheap and see what they can do about them. They won't go in the trash, that's for sure.

Right now I'm more focused on getting the bike going again. It's killing me actually driving a car to and from work every day. Top that off with the amazing weather we are having and I'm going out of my mind.

Oh yea, and this week we are working on moving kiddo from his glide bike to a big boy bike.
biggrin.png

20131007_184940_zpsa35f7dce.jpg

Right now I'm more focused on getting the bike going again. Oh yea, and this week we are working on moving kiddo from his glide bike to a big boy bike.
biggrin.png
Jixxerjason,

[Off-topic] Neat!
smile.png
As a big kid that remembers being that size once, I'd expect your guy to have a much more successful time if you lower the bike seat so much that he can flat-foot it. A big empty parking lot with a slight slope to it will give him lots of room for coasting downhill, and getting onto the pedals when he is ready. "Do-or-die" just sucks, at that age. You can raise the seat higher, later, maybe even a little at a time. Hand brakes would give the guy a redundant braking system. [/Off-topic]

Cheers,

Red

Judging by the shadows in the grass to the extreme right of the pic, he must be almost as tall as his daddy!
smile.png

I guess my bad karma meter just took another hit...

Jixxerjason,
[Off-topic] Neat!
smile.png
As a big kid that remembers being that size once, I'd expect your guy to have a much more successful time if you lower the bike seat so much that he can flat-foot it. A big empty parking lot with a slight slope to it will give him lots of room for coasting downhill, and getting onto the pedals when he is ready. "Do-or-die" just sucks, at that age. You can raise the seat higher, later, maybe even a little at a time. Hand brakes would give the guy a redundant braking system.

Cheers,

Red
Yea, that was right after getting it home. I've got the seat as low as it can go right now, and he kinda can flat foot...better than I can do with the FJR. I may snag a cheap seat post I can chop down for him, but it's not too bad right now. Picked up that $240 bike for $50 this week though and he's doing really well. His glide bike is way too small for him right now and the boy is eating like a horse so I think another growth spurt is going on.

RH, I'm going to kick you in the nuts next time I see you. That'll be karma!
biggrin.png