FREE Pirelli Diablo Strada when you buy a rear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recived the e today you guys have me thinking . i looked at the pilot road rear and there is indication of the amount of belts

Constant Mesh, I don't know if I would be too concerned about the regular rear tire. Some of the other guys on this forum have been running them for a while and I haven't heard any negative coments yet.

GP

The only negative I can say is that it was a bitch to mount. Now that the sidewall is even stiffer, it's going to be even tougher to deal with using the No-Mar. Oh well....

On a sad note, my MC finally got charged $25 for the "freebie" front tire. Bummer... ;)

Some of the other guys on this forum have been running them for a while and I haven't heard any negative coments yet.
Well, if you consider "not lasting 4000 miles" not a negative comment, then I'd have to agree. It was meant to be negative the many times I've said it here before. I'd like to get two spark plug changes out of a rear tire. Other than that, for me, they were great.

I got 5k out of my oe rear Metzler. As far as the E model, I still say that if the regular rear is shown as correct fitment for that fatass st1300 and others, it will be fine for my FJR. I'm intereested to see how it wears against the E model.

I have an E spec rear on my FJR. I've had it on there for a couple of months. I've got a bit over 5500 miles out of it so far. I have also done three track days (two up) on it as well, so it's been ridden pretty hard. I figure that I'll get somewhere around 8k-9k out of the rear. the front will last a lot longer but I usually replace them as a set.

just as a comparison, I got about 5k out of the OE Bridgestone 020's. I did one track day on it and still had some life left but the front was cupped badly and I needed some sticky tires for a long weekend ride with a bunch of sport bikes. :)

I then put on a set of Diablo Corsas (Pirelli track day tires). I didn't figure they would last long but I ended up getting about 4500 miles out of the front and rear. Again the front was fine and still had plenty of life, but I put on a set of Diablo Stradas, E spec rear. they seem to have plenty of grip even on the track (you'll drag hard parts before you loose traction) but much better wear. I will always err on the side of a sticky tire vs. a mileage tire. I have plenty of bikes and enjoy a sporty ride, so I know that tires are cheaper than bodywork and personal injury. :)

so far so good on the diablo strada. I think I just turned over 16k miles last week with a fair amount of it highway stuff. minimal cupping in the front and the rear looks good without too much squaring off. I 'd like to get it back on the track or in the mountains to round it off a bit but that'll have to wait a few more weeks. Also my mileage may be higher as the SE roads are pretty smooth and I"m usually pretty smooth on the gas and don't use much brakes when riding it hard in the mountains. your results may vary. oh yeah and they rock in the rain. I commute about 150 miles a day and ride home in the rain every so often and no issues at all.

hope it helps.

I have an E spec rear on my FJR. I've had it on there for a couple of months. I've got a bit over 5500 miles out of it so far. I have also done three track days (two up) on it as well, so it's been ridden pretty hard. I figure that I'll get somewhere around 8k-9k out of the rear.
Now THAT'S some promising testimony right there.

I ordered my "E" yesterday, to be shipped to another forum member's place in WA, where I would ride up, get a taste of doing my own tire changes, then ride around seeing the countryside before riding home. Great plan right? Then I get the tracking info in the afternoon and they're shipping it to my house! :angry03: :angry03: :angry03:

I have an E spec rear on my FJR. I've had it on there for a couple of months. I've got a bit over 5500 miles out of it so far. I have also done three track days (two up) on it as well, so it's been ridden pretty hard. I figure that I'll get somewhere around 8k-9k out of the rear.
Now THAT'S some promising testimony right there.

I ordered my "E" yesterday, to be shipped to another forum member's place in WA, where I would ride up, get a taste of doing my own tire changes, then ride around seeing the countryside before riding home. Great plan right? Then I get the tracking info in the afternoon and they're shipping it to my house! :angry03: :angry03: :angry03:
I've had vendors screw up like that before. I've called UPS with the items enroute, and had the address changed. Or I called the vendor and made THEM contact UPS and change the shipping address. Another solution would be to just refuse the shipment. Easier to just contact them with the 1Z number (if it's UPS) and see if you can change it. Dunno if they man the phones over the weekends.

Carrying a pair of tires on your bike would kinda suck. I think I could just about get one around my waist... dunno about two. Looks pretty stupid, but effective.

I've called UPS with the items enroute, and had the address changed. Or I called the vendor and made THEM contact UPS and change the shipping address. Another solution would be to just refuse the shipment. Easier to just contact them with the 1Z number (if it's UPS) and see if you can change it. Dunno if they man the phones over the weekends.
Thanks for the suggestions. I emailed the vendor. I'll wait to hear back before proceeding. Maybe he'll get it changed.

Toecutter,

Where did you order it that they had it in stock? :) AMT said they might have it by 04-07, but I have yet to be notified,,, Received my Free (read $25.00) tire a couple of days ago,,, I Need a rear now...

Ben

Where did you order it that they had it in stock?  :)   AMT said they might have it by 04-07, but I have yet to be notified,,, Received my Free (read $25.00) tire a couple of days ago,,, I Need a rear now...
I got mine from sport tour.com

Online order form

He doesn't have the part up on the site yet so you have to enter it manually on the order form. Part # is 0304-0035 and price is $129.95 plus $9.95 shipping.

I just heard from Pirelli the "E" spec tire is currently in stock in Nevada and Texas. The folks that won the this tire at CFO will finally be taken care of. :)

I also got an update from AMT that they've been getting the tire in small shipments and mine should ship tomorrow.

Toecutter, I guess I read that comment about the mileage on them, but didn't think much about it because we all drive differently. I personally think it's negative that we all don't get at least 10,000 miles out of tires that cost that much. Some guys get about half of what I got out of my Avons. But then there's Lee in California. He claims to get around 12,000 miles out of the rear tires on his FJR. I still don't see how he does that. I think you probably have to have a very docile throttle hand to do it. When I said I hadn't heard any negative comments about the non-E tire I was thinking more of the handling aspects. I just mounted a non E rear and the free front. I'm sure I will order the E time next time I need a rear. ;)

GP

Just got word today that my "E" rear is on the way from AMT and I already recieved my free front tire.

I'm over 10,000 miles on my stock tires (bridgestone's?? , jeez I can't even remember for sure what I'm riding on :) I'll probably let the front ride a little longer. But the rear is a bit worn in the center.

Just got word today that my "E" rear is on the way from AMT and I already recieved my free front tire.

I'm over 10,000 miles on my stock tires (bridgestone's?? , jeez I can't even remember for sure what I'm riding on :) I'll probably let the front ride a little longer. But the rear is a bit worn in the center.
My "E"s are finally coming, too. I got the freebie about a week ago, and a few days later the charge finally hit my card. Bummer... sorta. $25 for a $90 tire? Gotta like it.

I have about 5K on my Stradas now. My riding style has changed a bit. Got over 10K out of the OE Metzler. My rear Strada is about shot. Sure is fun wanging on that throttle for the holeshot with the front wheel eeking off the ground. Just doesn't do anything positive for tread longevity.

Had a new front tire on my deck when I got home yesterday. Recieved an email from AMT that my rear had shipped. Life is good.

Ok, finally got my "E"s today. Fedex really fubared, but finally they arrived.

These tires look kind of funky. Almost triangular to the middle of the tread. Hope it rounds out after mounted and aired up.

Timing is good. Getting tired of those Harley guys telling me my rear tire was shot. Not that any of them have actually ever gone through a tire....

Just put mine on yesterday (set-w/ E rear).

Initial impressions: smooth riding (mech. said they were well balanced).In corners which I would set up for and give a little push on the bars on previous tires (Mich P.R.s), the Stradas just rolled into effortlessy an un-nervously. Also of interest (anyone else experience this???) there was NO decel wobble in any speed range, hands off the bars. My last set (front) Conti R.A.s wobbled slightly when new and got progressively worse - almost doing tank slappers at 7,500 mi. (hands off the bars). Many kept stating "check the steering head bearings for adj." I was sure it was tire related as the Mich P.R. I had on before the Conti never did the decel. wobble (nor did the OEM 'stone 020's). As well, there is no "stand-up" under leaned over front or trailing braking

All this and not 150 miles yet..... If the handling characteristics remain and I can get 7,500+ miles out of them, I'll be most satisfied! Someone (I believe on a different forum) stated he talked to a Metzler rep. at a Cycle show and asked the question: "what's different from the Pirelli Strada and the Metzler Z-6?" Answer:

"Pirelli owns Metzler. As well, the Strada goes beyond the 2-3 yr. old Metzler technology and is the same profile, same turn in but sticks better and lasts a bit longer. It is a more advanced technology than the Z-6." (I see wear bars down in the tread!)

Well..., it would make marketing sense (to me) that Pirelli wouldn't have the same tire application with a different brand name they mfg. surpass their own. " If you like the Z-6, you'll like the Strada even more." (these are made in Germany)

Again, I pass this on from another forum (S.T.N.?) so take it however you want to, it makes no difference to me.

Hmmmm...., still haven't tried the Avons yet. Don't have an answer for that :(

Anyone still waiting on their freebee front tire from Pirelli? I'm wondering if they sent it and Fedex f'ed up and lost it. I was one of the last folks to request the rebate form.

Any replies would be appreciated.

I noticed they had a 'check consumer claim' web link. Apparently they did not recieve my documentation, even though I sent it on 4/4/06.

https://www.getpirelli.com/status.html?m=lf