FREE Pirelli Diablo Strada when you buy a rear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard Strada 180/55 doesn't have many plies. I don't know what the 'E' has.

Standard --

Tread = 1 rayon ply + 1 steel belt

Sidewall = 1 rayon ply

In comparison --

Bridgestone BT020 FJR OEM 'N'

Tread = 3 nylon plies + 1 steel belt

Sidewall = 3 nylon plies

Bridgestone BT020 General Replacement 'U'

Tread = 2 nylon plies + 1 steel belt

Sidewall = 2 nylon plies

The Bridgestones are more rigid with less flex.

I got my front today. It took just 2 weeks from the time I put the info in the mail. That was a lot faster than I expected. Now to get them mounted and try em out.

GP

I got my "freebie" today. And my card didn't get a charge yet. Maybe I got it completely free because I bought TWO rear E's (and I'm still waiting for those.... another week or two, I suppose....).

[SIZE=14pt]THANKS SMITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE] :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Received my free front yesterday. I too, am now waiting on the rear "E" version. (No bid deal)

I am only really familiar with the Avons, but it seems that Pirelli does not mark the heavy or light spot of the tire, as Avon does not. Oh well. Also noticed the tire was made in Germany. I had always thought Pirelli was Italiano.

Looking forward to giving them a try and comparing them to my beloved Avons.

Is it that Pirelli MC tires are owned by Metzler, or is it the other way around? Germany.

I thought the Pirellies WERE marked. I'd better go check my tire.... OK, I did. There are two little red dots on one side of the tire. Pretty sure that's the wieght mark. Now, is that the light side or the heavy side of the tire? Hmmm.....

This email just in:

Thank you very much for your order, and for your patience in waiting for the Diablo Stada 180/55ZR-17 FJR1300 to arrive.  I'm writing to let you know that we will be recieving a shipment of these tires within 5 business days.  We'll be shipping your order immediately upon reciept of these tires.
Thanks again for your patience.  Please let us know if we can assist in any way or answer any questions for you regarding your order.

Vaughn

www.americanmototire.com

Last edited by a moderator:
recived the strada this morning . waiting for the e . the set of pilot roads i have on the bike now look like they have 5k more left on them . so how about some feeback as soon as one of you fine gentlemen get ther set going .

T120TT --

Please look at the sidewall of your 'E' tire and note the plies in the tread and sidewalls. I'm curious how the the general replacement Strada (which I have) and the special 'E' tire differ. I assume the 'E' has more plies. Thanks.

I am only really familiar with the Avons, but it seems that Pirelli does not mark the heavy or light spot of the tire, as Avon does not. Oh well. Also noticed the tire was made in Germany. I had always thought Pirelli was Italiano..
Pirelli is Italian. they make their radial tires in Germany (Metzeler factory).

if there are no marks on a Pirelli that means there is no heavier side. if there are marks, I am pretty sure that they go across from the valve stem but I'll double check later on..

usually the Pirellis I've used take very little weight.

2 ply Rayon on both tread and sidewall for the "E".
Which is probably the same for both tires, right?

I had theorized that more material (rubber) would be added to the center section. Anybody got some tread depth measurements?

No, the 'E' has an additional ply in the tread and sidewalls.

General Replacement Strada 180/55

Tread = 1 ply rayon + 1 ply steel belt

SW = 1 ply rayon

Tread depth = ~6mm = 7.56 32nds inch

Strada E 180/55

Tread = 2 plies rayon + 1 ply steel belt

SW = 2 plies rayon

Tread depth = ?

I'm assuming the 'E' has 1 steel belt in the tread (but, T120TT didn't mention a steel belt).

I'm concerned now that the General Replacement tire I just bought may be very flimsy when leaned over in a sharp curve.

General Replacement Strada 180/55Tread = 1 ply rayon + 1 ply steel belt

SW = 1 ply rayon

Tread depth = ~6mm = 7.56 32nds inch

Strada E 180/55

Tread = 2 plies rayon + 1 ply steel belt

SW = 2 plies rayon

Tread depth = ?

I'm assuming the 'E' has 1 steel belt in the tread (but, T120TT didn't mention a steel belt).

I'm concerned now that the General Replacement tire I just bought may be very flimsy when leaned over in a sharp curve.
Hmm, what if there is no steel belt? Either way, looks like they beefed up the sidewall. I'm ordering an "E" today, time will tell if it will make it past 4000 miles for me.