Freeway Blaster horn -easy installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I think I read just about everything that had been posted on replacing the FJR horns. In the end, I settled for Fiam Freeway Blasters ( Magnum Blasters don't seem to be available any more ). I found an FJR tech article on installing the horns and it looked awfully tight and entailed cutting into the black plastic.

I found that if you remove the OEM horns and brackets, the Highway Blasters bolt right on with no cutting at all. I did wire in a relay, 10 amp fuse, and slightly heavier wire. Otherwise, it was dead easy. Clearance was fine.

Left side horn

fjr-horn-1.jpg

Right Side

fjr-horn-2.jpg

Right side - note mounting of relay and inline fuse ( yes, I know, bad location for fuse. When I install an aux fuse panel, this will change. )

fjr-horn-3.jpg

I found that if you remove the OEM horns and brackets, the Highway Blasters bolt right on with no cutting at all. I did wire in a relay, 10 amp fuse, and slightly heavier wire. Otherwise, it was dead easy. Clearance was fine.

Nice, clean mount. The big question is....how do they sound?

Video with audio?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't tell for sure, but looks like you might be a good candidate for a radiator guard......

Nice, clean mount. The big question is....how do they sound?

Video with audio?
Very loud; sorry no video / audio. It's very noticeable when you hear the low & high tone working together. It's more than just the volume that gets your attention.

I did this to my 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600. I found a downside to these horns. I was at the mall and the security vehicle stopped in front of me as a pickup truck was backing out of a spot. Security dude decides to throw it in reverse to let the guy out and I lay on the Fiam full force. He keeps coming back and I'm duck paddling but not fast enough and crunch, he wedges my front fender up under the bumper. Wedged tight enough that I could hop off the bike and it just stood there without use of the kickstand.

The guy gets out and starts stammering and apologizing that he didn't see me. I pointed out that I was on my horn the whole time and he retorts "Oh, that was you? That sounds like a truck horn, I thought it was the guy backing out honking at me!"

So yea, the horn gets attention. However, there "May" be some advantage to having a motorcycle sounding horn. Probably like 1 in 100 times a wimpy sounding horn is your advantage....I found that one time. :rolleyes:

Nice install, I may have to put one on the FJR though.

Hmmm. I wanna do this but then my other side of me says "how often do you use the horn?". Not very, guess i keep the crappy stocker.

Hmmm. I wanna do this but then my other side of me says "how often do you use the horn?". Not very, guess i keep the crappy stocker.
I thought the same thing. But my thinking was along the line of " How often do I use my insurance ? "

I'm a very defensive rider and it's been a long time since another vehicle with more wheels has tried to share my space. But a couple of weeks ago it happened twice inside a minute or so. I was fortunate that the first vehicle had the driver's window open otherwise they would not likely have heard me. The second was a semi and I'm almost positive that he didn't hear my stock horn but eventually checked his mirror. I don't use my horn very often but sometimes when I do, it's a major safety situation. And the cost of the horn was way cheaper than my deductible.

I thought the same thing. But my thinking was along the line of " How often do I use my insurance ? "

I'm a very defensive rider and it's been a long time since another vehicle with more wheels has tried to share my space. But a couple of weeks ago it happened twice inside a minute or so. I was fortunate that the first vehicle had the driver's window open otherwise they would not likely have heard me. The second was a semi and I'm almost positive that he didn't hear my stock horn but eventually checked his mirror. I don't use my horn very often but sometimes when I do, it's a major safety situation. And the cost of the horn was way cheaper than my deductible.
Good point, you shed sum light on my dumb azz :)

I posted this elsewhere but the situation on the freeway where the horn really helps you is certainly very infrequent (but I'd want good horns when it does!). I had a young lady coming in to me (directly parallel as I was slowly passing (insert joke here). I laid on the horn and moved to the sideline on I-75 (still holding horn). She looked, saw me. and kept right on going. Good times.

On the other hand, my last trip to Washington, D. C. during evening rush hour I covered 2.8 miles in 53 minutes and sucked my half gallon jug dry (thanks Garauld) with 111 deg heat index. Used my horns three times, saving me from merging traffic around busses, out of right turn only lanes, traffic waiting on pedestrians, etc. Only moving a block at a time (every few minutes) I guess people just forget you're there and are certainly too lazy to do anything more than a glance at side mirror. Horns are critical if you ever are in that environment, IMHO.

Thank you horns!