Fuel Tank Proposal w/ 2nd FJR Fuel Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
I offer the following fodder for your consideration or jokes:

This tank would entail the modification of an FJR fuel tank to use as an auxilary tank. I could retain the fuel pump and have a complete backup system or just use a bulkhead fitting.

So I invite all ridicule (as if I could avoid that) and perhaps just maybe some positive input as to what this would require.

I have the tank, pump and extra cap already. The front of the tank would require some kind of modification, but not much depending how far back the unit is placed.

Please forgive the amateur paintbrush picture, but you get the idea.

ConceptTank.jpg

Looks good to me. I'd think a bulkhead that used gravity to offload into the main tank would be more reliable, and less expensive, than dealing with a second fuel pump.

It looks expensive, but it would have a couple of advantages.

The internal fuel pump could be used

The vented fuel cap would be easy to plumb

You might be able to key the auxiliary cap the same as the rest of your bike

On the other hand;

It doesn't have a flat top

You would have to add baffles

It might not look as good as your photo chop

That's one of the gayest things I've seen since twn's atomic watch thread.

That's one of the gayest things I've seen since twn's atomic watch thread.

I'm hurt. I thought my boot thread was the gayest you'd ever seen.

Sherman: I like the idea. Go for it! By the way, there is someone 'round here who took a tank and made a tail bag out of it. An '05, IIRC. Looks killer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so disappointed in myself, I'm not going to dogpile you!

Go for it man, there are always some tanks on evilBay you could pick up. ;)

JW

Oh yes a wonderful idea.....

But I think you should make one up and get a group of people to give to you ... oh say about $1000 each and then wait for there product.

Oh and don't forget to pass that one around to your close friends so they can take pictures of it on their rides.

I think you folks already have a thread going to discuss this. As a matter of fact, you have two going since the foot pad thread reopened and was jacked. Do you really need to hijack another thread in which to air your grievances?

Sorry Sherman, hate to see your thread tarnished this way.

At first glance I thought that was some new rear box for the FJR. I thought it looked damn cool!

But as a second fuel tank? Hmmmm.... too top heavy, but thats just my opinion.

Maybe it would be just as easy to make it a bob tail. I agree that the lack of a flat area would be bad for touring, but it could have a huge tank bag on it easily. Nothing says it has to have 6.6 gallons, but even that would weigh less than a pillion.

If it had the fuel pump it could set lower.

Thanks for the input.

I like RenoJohn's idea too - much easier.

Bobtail?

P1010035c-1.jpg

I like RenoJohn's idea too - much easier.
LOL, you opened the door when you mentioned dogpile and I couldn't resist.I think it could look really good, me thinks the challenge will be modifiy the subframe to accept it and still look good. Me also wonders how two tanks, two fuel pumps and the possible challenges of switching from one to the other.

Hmmm, maybe you're planning to just fill the primary tank from this one via the fuel pump? Hmmm, at first I assumed you'd "Y" the two output lines.

There is a lot of pressure coming out of those fuel pumps, keep that in mind if you "Y" them together at some point.

When you get the proto-type together, send a sample to Huron, it's his turn me thinks.

Thanks TWN for the link.

I emailed him and will post back my findings.

He is the member blufjr.