Fuel Tank Proposal w/ 2nd FJR Fuel Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I offer the following fodder for your consideration or jokes:This tank would entail the modification of an FJR fuel tank to use as an auxilary tank. I could retain the fuel pump and have a complete backup system or just use a bulkhead fitting.

So I invite all ridicule (as if I could avoid that) and perhaps just maybe some positive input as to what this would require.

I have the tank, pump and extra cap already. The front of the tank would require some kind of modification, but not much depending how far back the unit is placed.

Please forgive the amateur paintbrush picture, but you get the idea.

ConceptTank.jpg

Several of these renditions I can make work no problem. I build custom gas tanks all the time... we can use a factory tank and make it work or do a little something like the blue bike in this post and make one from scratch... with or with out the fuel pump. I have a factory Yamaha pump right here in the shop as well. I’m very familiar with the workings. Use steel or aluminum. If anyone is interested feel free to post me and I will be happy to talk to them more. Just offering...... Infact these look so good I will probably make myself one soon.

No One, please show us some of your work.Where are you located?

OK, Here are a few things I have done..... you might have even seen my work before?

https://www.lichterphoto.com/webgal-bike/m0...axon/index.html

https://www.lichterphoto.com/webgal-bike/m0...axon/index.html

We are developing many new parts for this market (touring/sport touring/ADV touring). There is a wave of cool ideas that I have. I've started working on them already. As far as ANY gas tank goes, I can build anything anyone might want. Any style, any amount of gallons, any metal, any set up anyone might want...... or for people like me to understand, we can do anything you might need..... LOL :) We are in Ft Worth TX

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that a custom fabbed tank built to emulate the lines of the main tank would be better & easier than taking an existing tank and turning it into an aux tank. The big tunnel thru the middle of the standard tank is a waste of space and makes the COG higher than it has to be for the size of the tank. You also do not need a high pressure internal fuel pump and filter taking up space in there (assuming you are just transferring fuel up to the main when it's low/empty). An external LP pump would be better IMO. Losing the fuel gauge sending unit would be too bad, but you could easily plumb in a low fuel float switch to let you know when to shut off the transfer pump.

Me... I'm not an LD endurance guy, so I like stopping every ~240 miles. :rolleyes:

We are developing many new parts for this market (touring/sport touring/ADV touring). There is a wave of cool ideas that I have.
Jax?!

Guys, I know a *BUNCH* of guys who have done business with Jax on their Spirits. He does fantastic work. I'll vouch for his skills.

-Bungie (from TSW!)

I would think that a custom fabbed tank built to emulate the lines of the main tank would be better & easier than taking an existing tank and turning it into an aux tank. The big tunnel thru the middle of the standard tank is a waste of space and makes the COG higher than it has to be for the size of the tank. You also do not need a high pressure internal fuel pump and filter taking up space in there (assuming you are just transferring fuel up to the main when it's low/empty). An external LP pump would be better IMO. Losing the fuel gauge sending unit would be too bad, but you could easily plumb in a low fuel float switch to let you know when to shut off the transfer pump.
Me... I'm not an LD endurance guy, so I like stopping every ~240 miles. :rolleyes:

Your right, I think it would work better, look much better and stronger if one was built from scratch. Again you’re right with the fuel pump, Etc... I was just throwing out to whom ever that if they had a tank that they 'had' to use, then we could make that work for that person... On the other hand we can do one from scratch as well.... With what we can do there are endless possibilities. I hate to keep saying it over and over, but I can do anything anyone wants.... I think that blue one looked pretty good. I think im going to make myself one.

Keep in mind that I could make a "trunk" that opened up and was used for extra storage and extra gas. Kinda like a cool trunk but can have a bit more 'emergency' gas and a little more storage as well................ All doable....... :)

Are you guys hiring?

Naaaaaaaaaa Not this second..... but your welcome to stop on by sometime!

We are developing many new parts for this market (touring/sport touring/ADV touring). There is a wave of cool ideas that I have.
Jax?!

Guys, I know a *BUNCH* of guys who have done business with Jax on their Spirits. He does fantastic work. I'll vouch for his skills.

-Bungie (from TSW!)

Hey man,,, Thanks for the props...... Chopper, cruiser, touring, Etc.... I love motorcycles..... Like I said, we are working on a line of parts for FJR and other touring bikes. If you are looking into getting an FJR or you have one, just let me know if you need a 'special' part for it..... I don't have to tell you what I can offer...... Peace out ! ~ J 5

Like I said, we are working on a line of parts for FJR and other touring bikes. If you are looking into getting an FJR or you have one, just let me know if you need a 'special' part for it..... I don't have to tell you what I can offer...... Peace out ! ~ J 5
I'm picking up my FJR sometime this week, probably Wed.

No kidding guys Jax has crazy mad skills and his customer service is second to none. The guys I hang out with on the other forum (Jax knows who I'm talking about) eat wannabe's for breakfast. Nobody has ever had a bad thing to say about Jax.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever you come up with.

What's wrong with having a custom gas tank added to the panniers? Take a look at the last photo of the Ducati. Gary Eagan and the 1098 S vs. Cannonball

That is VERY COOL !!!! Probably VERY expensive as well........... An FIA certified fuel bladder that is custom made and one-off.... MUCHO cash. Hell, if anyone one wants this set up and has an open check book FEEL FREE to contact us and we can make this same set up happen for them. (concerning the custom fuel bladders on the Ducati in the link to this post)

we can make anything happen ! Been doing fuel tanks of all kinds for years.... air tanks aswell...........

Like I said, we are working on a line of parts for FJR and other touring bikes. If you are looking into getting an FJR or you have one, just let me know if you need a 'special' part for it..... I don't have to tell you what I can offer...... Peace out ! ~ J 5
I'm picking up my FJR sometime this week, probably Wed.

No kidding guys Jax has crazy mad skills and his customer service is second to none. The guys I hang out with on the other forum (Jax knows who I'm talking about) eat wannabe's for breakfast. Nobody has ever had a bad thing to say about Jax.

I'll keep an eye out for whatever you come up with.
Great, If you have a second Email me at my office and I would like to stay in contact with you.. Maybe I can work with you and send you some product and help me BETA test some stuff......... Shoot me some pictures of your new bike when you get it.

IIRC one of last years IBR riders simply took the fjr1300 tank, opened the top,madea condo out of it.

IIRC one of last years IBR riders simply took the fjr1300 tank, opened the top,madea condo out of it.
Technically he was not an IBR rider. I can't seem to recall his name, but shortly after the IBR he became a forum member and discussesd his modified fuel tank. If I recall correctly his tank held 13 gallons of fuel after the modification.

Great, If you have a second Email me at my office and I would like to stay in contact with you.. Maybe I can work with you and send you some product and help me BETA test some stuff......... Shoot me some pictures of your new bike when you get it.
Now how can I pass up an offer like that! :)