Fuel Tank Proposal w/ 2nd FJR Fuel Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is before the time of many of you, but back in the 70s there was a 9 gallon fuel tank for BMW /6 and /7 series. Basically it was the stock tank (which was around 5 gallons) with the shape extended in most directions. It looked pretty good and put the weight in the best place possible.

Kevin D. alearted me to this thread. I liked Sherman's photoshop idea of the fuel cell. With a little work on proportions, ie. lowering the top a little, the unit would be great.

GalaxyBlue_FJR1300_trunk_sm.jpg

As to my avatar, with the trunk, I did the above photo shop work to show other owners an idea for a utility trunk rather than a fuel cell. Could work either way or both as noted by No One. Here is another photo shop picture I did at the time (4 years ago) :

Warchildswtrunk1.JPG

The original concept was to replace the rear seat and tail rack. To afix the trunk by using the tail rack mounting points. I dropped the idea and bought a Corbin Smuggler at about $700. I wanted a trunk now and then dropped the idea of making a fiberglass unit.

Kevin D. alearted me to this thread. I liked Sherman's photoshop idea of the fuel cell. With a little work on proportions, ie. lowering the top a little, the unit would be great.
GalaxyBlue_FJR1300_trunk_sm.jpg

As to my avatar, with the trunk, I did the above photo shop work to show other owners an idea for a utility trunk rather than a fuel cell. Could work either way or both as noted by No One. Here is another photo shop picture I did at the time (4 years ago) :

Warchildswtrunk1.JPG

The original concept was to replace the rear seat and tail rack. To afix the trunk by using the tail rack mounting points. I dropped the idea and bought a Corbin Smuggler at about $700. I wanted a trunk now and then dropped the idea of making a fiberglass unit.
Great job.... That is is something similar to what im going to make myself in real life. I'm sure I will post a little something when I do.... can you post some pictures of your smuggler on your FJR.... I have not seen that yet......... Thanks !

I say go for it if it floats your boat. But IMO the only guys who carry fuel cells on their bikes are those geeky LD types who are hell bent for destruction and boni points and such. Now I do like the idea of that trunk set-up. No or little weight, looks good and it looks like you could even carry your Stetson cowboy hat and a couple cigars in that and not even get um messed up.....cool. PM. <>< :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
No One,
You should also take a look at the trunks on FJR police bikes. Thug just posted this thread; Aussie Police FJR'S .

Thanks for the Pics.... I like that one as well. I'm kinda digging the idea of a little extra gas and some trunk space. It will be more impressive when I make one and show what can be done, how it looks, how it works, Etc..... I'm probably going to french in some small LED brake/turn signals with a cool quick release. Then it will provide a little extra safety as well. If anyone needs one of these we can do it.... hand made out of steel or aluminum. If you have any questions you can Email me or call jaxonATwildcardcustomsDOTcom

What are guys/gals thoughts on the police crash bars...... I'm sure most people don't want to ruin the look of the FJR but anyone who reads this, what are YOUR thoughts on the Police crash bars......??? I'm asking because I kinda like them.. I'm going to get the Baja HID and this might be a cool place to mount them... I know that skyway has a slick set up but this might be a different. Also black crash bars on an 08' might 'blend' in a little more and not stand out so much........... "readers" THOUGHTS?????? Kinda like the ones above or this

Crash bars would be a big hit IMO

The added strength of two attach point, plus the possibility of a better highway peg attach point would probably be very well received.

Crank out the tank/trunk first though. I'll be watching that development.

Edit: As an attach point for lights, the crash bars will be too low for anything other than fog lights

Crash bars would be a big hit IMOThe added strength of two attach point, plus the possibility of a better highway peg attach point would probably be very well received.

Crank out the tank/trunk first though. I'll be watching that development.

Edit: As an attach point for lights, the crash bars will be too low for anything other than fog lights

""""""Edit: As an attach point for lights, the crash bars will be too low for anything other than fog lights """""""

I understand... and for the most part agree with you 100%...... BUT, who says they have to stay down there... I just said mounted... LOL DONT think im going to have two long broom handles hanging off the bike but I have a few ideas.... "I’ve" never seen......

I’m going to make the crash bars..... There might be a few mock-ups but people will see where im going. Possibilities will be endless and we can also make special custom sets for customers that have special needs or need something different for whatever reason. I hope we get a few more post about the crash bars........................... :) Thanks again !

I'm interested in the tank and crash bars.
Great, would you be 'interested' in maybe only the front set or maybe also the rear 'bag' bars as well... I’m just picking brains to see where people stand... If you need a good point of reference the You-Tube up ^^^^^^^ Has a pretty good view. Thanks again

Crash bars would be good. Maybe they could be powder coated to the FJRs native color.

We can and will offer them in the FACTORY real color match color. And a "as close as possible" powder coat as well. Although powder coat has come A LONG way in color over the last few years ive never seen a dead on factory color match. We will probably also offer them in black, Titanium, silver, Etc..... and OF COURSE custom colors for anything anyone wants................ that’s what we specialize in... :)

Ok, No One. I have a good project for you.

Make a set of highway mounting brackets for highway pegs that are affordable, athstetically pleasing & mount someplace that will not pose structural problems.

I'll probably be at the front of the line to buy something like that.

The set that I have are being removed. During a drop on the left side the bolts holding the highway peg mount into the stator cover were torqued enough to allow oil to leak from the stator cover. I'm not taking a chance with that, anymore. They are history.

So, I'm betting that something like that would be easy for you, right?

Heidi

I think there would be a great deal of interest in both the front and rear crash bars, so long as they do not encroach on the lean angles of the bike. Also the rear bar needs to be compatible to when there is a passenger onboard, adding protection to their legs whether the bags are on or not. In my observations FJR riders tend to be more utility / function / safety oriented vs. just appearance / bling oriented.

If the front bars were easily adapted to add highway pegs and fog lamps, so much the better.

Oh, and anyone that can come up with a smuggler like device to snap into the rear seat position that doesn't cost as much as a Corbin smuggler could make a killing...

I think there would be a great deal of interest in both the front and rear crash bars, so long as they do not encroach on the lean angles of the bike. Also the rear bar needs to be compatible to when there is a passenger onboard, adding protection to their legs whether the bags are on or not. In my observations FJR riders tend to be more utility / function / safety oriented vs. just appearance / bling oriented.
If the front bars were easily adapted to add highway pegs and fog lamps, so much the better.

Oh, and anyone that can come up with a smuggler like device to snap into the rear seat position that doesn't cost as much as a Corbin smuggler could make a killing...
See GL1800 for inspiration. And GUNNY! on the tail trunk. Just make sure that Corbin doesn't hold a patent.

Ok, No One. I have a good project for you.
Make a set of highway mounting brackets for highway pegs that are affordable, athstetically pleasing & mount someplace that will not pose structural problems.

I'll probably be at the front of the line to buy something like that.

The set that I have are being removed. During a drop on the left side the bolts holding the highway peg mount into the stator cover were torqued enough to allow oil to leak from the stator cover. I'm not taking a chance with that, anymore. They are history.

So, I'm betting that something like that would be easy for you, right?

Heidi
I should'nt be an issue. "Affordable".... I think we can handle that..... "Athstetically pleasing".. that is in the eye of the beholder. BUT we can do anything so there are no "rules" or design obligations. I would like to talk to you a little bit more about specifics.. We can openly talk about specifics here on the forum or you can contact me at jaxonATwildcardcustomsDOTcom or 817-831-9700 and we can work out the details. I would be happy to work with some customers on the forum to show what we can do and what we are capable of offering.

What Gen bike do you have and what color is your bike? Would you like these a certain color? If ya would Email me or call me and we can go from there. Be happy to help.. Thanks ~ Jaxon

Absolutely... I agree, we do/have done the bling thing for a million years.... my brain needs a rest. I’m very much interested in working in and among 'touring' type applications and pieces that have a true function rather than chrome, and million dollar paint.

Sure, as far as a set for bag protections, this might be one type of set...... another set might be more specific for safety for a passenger with or with out the bags.... Possibilities are endless and we have been in the business for years building one off custom pieces for customers around the world. As far as the front 'crash' bars....... SURE, hi way pegs, lights, Etc... Etc.... Etc..... we are vendors for MANY MANY types of products. We might be able to offer a package deal with lights and/or pegs... Etc.. Etc.... No problem...

We have several FJR's that we will be BETA testing some stuff with and we might also entertain some testing with some forum members... If someone is interested they will need to contact me and we can talk further about it. I would like to introduce products that have been tested and do what they say they are going to do. Also I want some 'testers' feed back on what 'people' want, really need, like, or don’t like........ we are not a garage type of shop and we will not introduce any product and then be gone in two weeks.... we don’t work that way.......... If you or anyone else has ANY questions FEEL FREE to contact me directly at jaxonATwildcardcustomsDOTcom or 817-831-9700 Thanks

See GL1800 for inspiration. And GUNNY! on the tail trunk. Just make sure that Corbin doesn't hold a patent.
I’m sure Mike Corbin has a patent..... he-he.... we can do a 'smuggler' type device.. no problem.. BUT if you want it to look very similar to the Corbin and you would like it to have all the cool features of the Corbin for a price less then his, it gets a bit sticky.... Mike has his stuff down pat. And of course he make money the whole process does get expensive.... bla... bla..... bla.... :) :)

Were here to help out and we can do anything.. when it comes to a specific piece that someone might want feel free to contact me and we can go from there. Again,again,again, we can do anything:) Will just see where this all goes.. If we have some serious interest we will ramp up everything in all aspects... If you have any questions just let us know! Thanks

No One, I really do not have much time right at the moment... but will be in touch with you very soon, Heidi