G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
326656102.jpg

G2 Throttle, Brake-Away Cruise Control, Weighted Bar Ends, Grip Puppies, and

I will be installing my Knuckle Guards Soon! Spaced and Oiled Right it works great....!

I got an 08 with about 12k miles. I dunno. I just twist the grip and it goes.

I am bummed my throttle rocker fell off right when the stoplight turned green though. :arrowheadsmiley:

No more cruise control. :cry:

:drinks:

Got mine the other day from G2 and am thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of the throttle now. The 05 that I'm riding is sooooooo responsive and smooth. Thoroughly amazed at the difference. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I have the same problem on mine, I think the issue is one of two things. Either your grip is hanging up on the housing of the throttle cam/cables, or you need a slight tension adjustment of the throttle cable.
On the AE, the heated grip has a double flange, one that goes on the outside of the housing, its the one that sits next to your palm, and the other goes inside the cable housing. If your grip is slid on too close to the cable housing or too far from the housing, the inner flange will rub on it.

I won't have time to work on mine till next week, so when I do I'll report back here. Overall, mine returns really well, except for the last 1/8 of an inch or so. As a side note, I unwound my throttle return spring (perhaps more than one turn, not sure as the spring didn't catch on the little tab when I released it) and this may have something to do with it.

Let me know how yours works out...

Just installed my G2 yesterday. Used a hair dryer to heat the grip and an old baseball mitt rawhide threader to separate the grip from the old tube. lined up the new tube with the heat line on the at the same position the old one was at. Got it all put back together and the throttle sticks on the lower end. I put a little grease on it and that helped a little but it is still not coming back to idle. Does any one have any ideal?
Worked on it again this last weekend. Finally got it freed up, found that the wire for the heated grip has a little void underneath to double up as you open the throttle. All I did was reheat the grip and turn it a little to create less slack in the wire. WORKS GREAT!!!

I installed G2 a few days ago and it made an improvement.
I finally started to see if I could do my G2 on my AE which has heated handgrips. I do not have an industrial compressor so tried one of those mini pumps for tires first trying the basket ball needle but it did nothing. It also had a nozzle tip but it was too wide to get between the grip and the stock tube. Plus, even if I could get the grip off, I could not tell how to detach the electrical wire which was attached to the grip. I do plan to first try the zip tie method, followed by the thin screwdriver/meat skewer with soap or WD-40 method to get the grip off.

Therefore, my main question is: How does the wire detach from the heated grip?

I do know that I have to make sure the grip is oriented exactly the same as it was on the stock tube so I have made a mark on the heated grip for (if and) when I get the grip off. It also sounds like the concensus is to use hairspray as a lubricant/glue to put the grip on the G2.

I installed G2 a few days ago and it made an improvement.
I finally started to see if I could do my G2 on my AE which has heated handgrips. I do not have an industrial compressor so tried one of those mini pumps for tires first trying the basket ball needle but it did nothing. It also had a nozzle tip but it was too wide to get between the grip and the stock tube. Plus, even if I could get the grip off, I could not tell how to detach the electrical wire which was attached to the grip. I do plan to first try the zip tie method, followed by the thin screwdriver/meat skewer with soap or WD-40 method to get the grip off.

Therefore, my main question is: How does the wire detach from the heated grip?

I do know that I have to make sure the grip is oriented exactly the same as it was on the stock tube so I have made a mark on the heated grip for (if and) when I get the grip off. It also sounds like the concensus is to use hairspray as a lubricant/glue to put the grip on the G2.
The wire does not detach form the grip.

Before you start take a picture of the grip from all angles to so you can see the orientation of the wire. To get it off the throttle tube use a small screw driver push it under the grip slowly and carefully then put in the wd-40 straw and squirt some in. Work your way around the grip and twist it a little as you go. As some point the glue will let go and the grip will spin. Then you need to open up the throttle housing where the wire runs so you have slack in the cable. You might also have to trace the wire down and unplug it so you can have enough slack to get the grip all the way off. Then replace the throttle tube. Get some YamaBond adhesive and put some on the inside of the grip. line up the grip on the G2 and push it all the way on in one push. Don't do this slowly as the glue sets fast. I tried using other adhesives and they will grip at first but then when you are riding they can give way and the grip will spin. Not a comforting feeling when you are riding. Use the right glue.

If you don't get the wire back in correctly then it will bind in the housing and give more problems. This is not a hard project if you take pictures and are careful when you dissemble the throttle housing.

Good Luck.

Greetings all,

There are two versions you will see mentioned on the site:

FJR1300 03-09

FJR1300 AE 07-09

The first is the 40-400 while the second (the AE version) is 40-400L. This was not obvious (to me anyway) on their site, nor any of the vendors I looked at.

The last bullet item on the back of the package (40-400) I got said:

o Fits FJR1300A 05-09 (possibly

earlier). For AE, use 40-400L.

A call to the vendor, cyclebuy.com, got some quick answers. They contacted G2 and within a few minutes they called me back, confirmed the existence of the 400L version, and told me that G2 will direct ship to me a 400L for exchange. They were told the L version is 4/10" longer.

Great service from both cyclebuy and G2. :)

OK, I just installed my G2 cam on my new '06 AE. First, let me say, that I ordered straight from G2 Ergonomics. It came to me blindingly FAST! I ordered it on the 24th at 11:23 PM and it arrived today in the US mail. I did NOT pay any extra amount for quicker shipping. Very nice!

Someone said to take pictures to make sure you get the heated grips lined up properly upon re-assembly. Being the dumb-ass pollack that I am, I said to myself "self, I ain't gotta do that! That's for wussies." Within 40 minutes I was severely regretting that! I figured it out anyways, but the photos would have helped BIG TIME!!!!

I got the grip off using compressed air and soapy water, but it was still a bit of a hassle. I had to angle the compressed air nozzle under the inboard end (next to the grip's wire hump) and slowly walk the grip outboard a fraction of an inch at a time. Took a good 30 minutes or so. I was getting frustrated and yanking and cussing. I even somehow managed to strain or sprain my left elbow. No idea how, but it hurts. 14 Miller Lights will fix that!

I got it back together after about 70 minutes total time. Took her out for a 5 minute test ride at night around the subdivision. As someone already stated... IT WORKS!!! It took about 80% of the low throttle abruptness out. I have NEVER felt this smooth a start on this bike from a stop. I am VERY happy, well worth the $$$!!! :D

Saturday the dealer will install my recall ECU. Is that supposed to affect this low-end throttle at all?

If it were not for the studly dudes upon this forum, I would not have known about this farkle. Thanks FJR homosapiens!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I just installed my G2 cam on my new '06 AE. First, let me say, that I ordered straight from G2 Ergonomics. It came to me blindingly FAST! I ordered it on the 24th at 11:23 PM and it arrived today in the US mail. I did NOT pay any extra amount for quicker shipping. Very nice!
Someone said to take pictures to make sure you get the heated grips lined up properly upon re-assembly. Being the dumb-ass pollack that I am, I said to myself "self, I ain't gotta do that! That's for wussies." Within 40 minutes I was severely regretting that! I figured it out anyways, but the photos would have helped BIG TIME!!!!

I got the grip off using compressed air and soapy water, but it was still a bit of a hassle. I had to angle the compressed air nozzle under the inboard end (next to the grip's wire hump) and slowly walk the grip outboard a fraction of an inch at a time. Took a good 30 minutes or so. I was getting frustrated and yanking and cussing. I even somehow managed to strain or sprain my left elbow. No idea how, but it hurts. 14 Miller Lights will fix that!

I got it back together after about 70 minutes total time. Took her out for a 5 minute test ride at night around the subdivision. As someone already stated... IT WORKS!!! It took about 80% of the low throttle abruptness out. I have NEVER felt this smooth a start on this bike from a stop. I am VERY happy, well worth the $$$!!! :D

Saturday the dealer will install my recall ECU. Is that supposed to affect this low-end throttle at all?

If it were not for the studly dudes upon this forum, I would not have known about this farkle. Thanks FJR homosapiens!!!
Freakin' way cool! But spraining your elbow? Really? :unsure:

Next time use the WD-40 and the screw driver method. It works the best. Just clean out the grip really good before putting it back on.

Would that prevent the sprained elbow??? :unsure:
Yes because the instant the WD hits the glue it dissolves it. The grip should have slipped right off if you used WD.
Just out of curiousity has anyone used golf grip tape to reinstall their grips? I have on my VTX with kuryakyn grips and it has worked great. It's held for four years.

Would that prevent the sprained elbow??? :unsure:
Yes because the instant the WD hits the glue it dissolves it. The grip should have slipped right off if you used WD.
Just out of curiousity has anyone used golf grip tape to reinstall their grips? I have on my VTX with kuryakyn grips and it has worked great. It's held for four years.
I am still procrasinating my install. Per johnny80s write up, I plan to use the WD40 method and was planning to buy some Yamabond. I kept wondering about golf grip tape since I have done some regripping. I would be concerned about the solvents that you put on the tape to allow it to slide. Is the solvent compatible with the grip and anything else it is apt to drip on?