G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the G2 today after reading 7 pages on this subject. Being a new member as of yesterday and a FJR owner as of last April, I never heard of the G2 until today. Man, I'm really out of touch. Glad I joined up.

I installed the G2 this week, also. Some owners of AE models with heated grips are complaining of stiff or erratic throttle movement after the install. I didn't know why, but now I think I do: When you remove the 2 halves of the throttle cable housing, you will see a rubber "glob" where the heater wires enter the grip. There is extra heater wiring inside the throttle-cable housing, which allows this heater connection to follow the cam around the arc of the handlebar. Be sure to mark the location of the heated grip, in relation to the factory throttle tube (radially). 2 short pieces of pinstriping tape or a narrow strip of masking tape should do it. When reinstalling the grip on the new G2 tube, it must be slid on in nearly the same exact position. Otherwise, the glob may rotate too far around the bars, or not far enough. And this in turn may cause binding on the tube rotation. Some of this may sound vague, but it's the best way I can describe. Good luck.

I installed the G2 this week, also. Some owners of AE models with heated grips are complaining of stiff or erratic throttle movement after the install. I didn't know why, but now I think I do: When you remove the 2 halves of the throttle cable housing, you will see a rubber "glob" where the heater wires enter the grip. There is extra heater wiring inside the throttle-cable housing, which allows this heater connection to follow the cam around the arc of the handlebar. Be sure to mark the location of the heated grip, in relation to the factory throttle tube (radially). 2 short pieces of pinstriping tape or a narrow strip of masking tape should do it. When reinstalling the grip on the new G2 tube, it must be slid on in nearly the same exact position. Otherwise, the glob may rotate too far around the bars, or not far enough. And this in turn may cause binding on the tube rotation. Some of this may sound vague, but it's the best way I can describe. Good luck.
Good post Phil - Thanks!

Just installed the G2 throttle tube on my 05. Nice and easy install. This fixed a slightly worn, out-of-round, stock, plastic throttle tube that would not hold with my throttle lock any more.

WOW, what a difference. It works great, went on fast (even with my anal-retentive tendencies) and feels much better than the stock tube. Nice a smooth on the bottom end... wish I could have done this 30K miles ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just installed the G2 throttle tube on my 05. Nice and easy install. This fixed a slightly worn, out-of-round, stock, plastic throttle tube that would not hold with my throttle lock any more.
WOW, what a difference. It works great, went on fast (even with my anal-retentive tendencies) and feels much better than the stock tube. Nice a smooth on the bottom end... wish I could have done this 30K miles ago!

You can say that again. :yahoo:

By golly, I guess I did, I guess I did!

OK, I finally saw the light and installed the G2 on my AE. I was getting tired of that "snatchy" throttle. I really never thought too much about it, and got used to the way the AE was from the get go (25K miles). But after last weekend's riding in Hooterville, I decided the throttle was snatching my rear tire too much.

The install was a little tough for me, but I got it done. A short test drive shows a more linear throttle and I can see where many of you wanted this gizmo, and the Fred mod.

I've already disconnected springs, and my "stock" return rate was quite slow. Now the throttle seems to drag. I had a bit of a hard time getting the cover back together with the cables in position. I had to adjust the cable all the way down to give me enough slack to get the housing to mate. Now there is no slack at all (still) in the cable and there seems to be no throttle return at all.

Any of you guys have to go back in to free things up after the install? I'm wondering what I might be able to do to loosen the parts back up so that it's back like the stock movement. If I can't get it freed up, I may cut back the stock tube and put it back in (ala Rocketman's post). Tips and suggestions please.

OK, I finally saw the light and installed the G2 on my AE. I was getting tired of that "snatchy" throttle. I really never thought too much about it, and got used to the way the AE was from the get go (25K miles). But after last weekend's riding in Hooterville, I decided the throttle was snatching my rear tire too much.
The install was a little tough for me, but I got it done. A short test drive shows a more linear throttle and I can see where many of you wanted this gizmo, and the Fred mod.

I've already disconnected springs, and my "stock" return rate was quite slow. Now the throttle seems to drag. I had a bit of a hard time getting the cover back together with the cables in position. I had to adjust the cable all the way down to give me enough slack to get the housing to mate. Now there is no slack at all (still) in the cable and there seems to be no throttle return at all.

Any of you guys have to go back in to free things up after the install? I'm wondering what I might be able to do to loosen the parts back up so that it's back like the stock movement. If I can't get it freed up, I may cut back the stock tube and put it back in (ala Rocketman's post). Tips and suggestions please.
I'm not sure if the throttle is different on the AE (I doubt it) but it sounds is if you haven't hooked the cables in the correct positions. I would go back and re-install from the beginning. This is the first time I've heard of anyone having difficulty with the G2. It may not get rid of the "snatchy" throttle response as well as you like but it should work as well as the stock tube, as far as throttle operation.

FJRocket, I can relate to the install. It is a bit tricky but it works. I had a similar issue with the cables/slack issue. And I think that was just because I didn't loosen the throttle cable play at the throttle body side as well as at the throttle side. Once I got the cables on the ramps and made sure the ends were properly installed in the G2 Tube, (make sure you lube the ramps, cable ends, and handlebar with LS grease or whatever you use, and that the cables are fully in the groves on the ramps). I set the throttle cable play to the reccomended free play with the adjustment on the bar I believe it was 3-5mm or about 12-20 thousandths. The less play the better.

Once I had it all together because of the new grease on the bar and the middle throttle spring removed at the TB's my return rate was at first "not" fully returning but with riding around and working the throttle it settled in. I still don't have the "snap" return like stock or maybe the way it should be but I do get full return with no issues. Just give it a chance to work in. Remember a spring has been removed. Which IMO is way better than stock. Good luck and keep us updated. PM. <>< :D

I understand the thought behind reducing the tension on the center spring but do I understand correctly, that you REMOVED the center spring? :unsure:

If so, it's no wonder the throttle doesn't return correctly. Why would you remove the spring?

Also, I used graphite on the G2. Thought it would be less prone to collecting dirt.

I understand the thought behind reducing the tension on the center spring but do I understand correctly, that you REMOVED the center spring? :unsure:
If so, it's no wonder the throttle doesn't return correctly. Why would you remove the spring?

Also, I used graphite on the G2. Thought it would be less prone to collecting dirt.
I removed the spring on my '04 and my '06. Disconnected, removed, released.... what the hell's the difference? :blink: The fricken spring was way too tight on both bikes. Anyway, the throttle response without the main spring was fine... for over 25000 miles on both bikes. If I can just get the newly induced drag out, it'll be fine.

I'll wait a while and see if it settles in with use. If not, perhaps I'll remove it all, clean the grease out and lube with graphite and perhaps that'll solve the problem.

FJRRocket, you better check back to find the cause for the drag your talking about. I installed the G2, unwouned/eliminated the center throttle spring and have no problem what so ever with any draging nor with throttle return.

I just added the Ergo tube to my '07. No problems at all. I was able blow off the old grip with compressed air and reuse it. My only regrets is that I did not add the tube before I road the Dragon on a 3,000 mile trip last week. Next year will be better.

thanks dcarver!

Why does this look diff than your pic of the throttle tube? Your pics show diff colors too ...

I have a Vista Cruise (cheap!) and stock grips + grip puppies, but now that I am going to do this mod, I am thinking I should install heated grips ... but which heated grips are the most comfortable? (I don't like the yammy heated grips)

Here we go again ...

I installed a FJR-specific G2 Ergo throttle tube and cam yesterday. Installation was painless; the G2 is the same exact length as stock, fit the bar perfectly. The only difference is the G2 has a slightly larger OD; I had to 'spread' my Madco throttle lock so it would fit over the larger diameter.
Test results? This is the single best farkle you can add to your 2006 FJR to cure throttle abruptness. Serious. The throttle cam has a 'flat' spot long that allows for a truely 'linear' pull at low throttle settings. Low speed parking maneuvers, and tight corners are a dream now. I have also done the Barbarian jumper mod and added Grip Puppies. The biggest change though, and a dramatic, can't miss something has happened for the better' type of change is the G2.

You can kinda see the cam action in this pix.

tcsbaseimage01.jpg

..and the MadCo throttle lock.

Completed.jpg

I’m currently using Madco throttle lock and I would like to purchase the G2 tube. Would the Madco still work with the G2 tube? This is going on a 2007 FJR.