G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from my first 1000 mile long weekend with my new FJR. I have a Fred H. shim in there, but I found that in the twisties, its still not enough. So, i put my order in for a G2 this morning. Hope this works.

Put the G2 on last weekend and it took care of my problem, which really didn't seem that bad to start with.
+1 I had almost managed to adjust to the throttle but a throttle off to on transition LURCH in a slow corner convinced me to try this. Worked so well on mine it seems almost like a bit of overkill. Evidently results vary.

+1 for farkle of the year, cheap, easy to put on and great results, I didn't realize how abrupt the thottle was until I rode with the G2 this morning!!!! :drinks:

I just ordered mine. I'm going to put heated grips on at the same time, and throttlemeister. Guess I need some new grips. I've heard good things about BMW sport tour grips. This should all work together correct?

Glenn

Help:

1. I want to add heated grips. Which one are better the HOT GRIPS or the Yamaha?

2. I have an radar dectector (currently attached with a big rubber band on the left brake reservoir) and am looking for a mount. Some attach to the center nut, and others on the side. If I mount the dector in the middle will it receive signals from the rear?

3. I am needing a new helmet to replace my 10 year old Arai, and am considering the Caberg Justimisso. I would like a flip up helmet, any sugggestions?

4. I am also considering a Aerostitch jacket or riding suit. I currently have a Fieldsheer suit that work well. I like the Aerostitch Falstaff and think it may be more waterproof, so I am looking for reviews on that also.

I just picked up my 06 (in Fairbanks) and have put a 1,000 miles on it, last run was to Valdez which I encountered some rain and temperatures down to +36F (yes it was still light at midnight). This is one awesome bike! Alaskan road have many frost heaves and this bike eats them up and spits them out quite well.

Thanks,

Randy Wagner

Tolsona, Alaska

907 320-0216

Help:1. I want to add heated grips. Which one are better the HOT GRIPS or the Yamaha?

2. I have an radar dectector (currently attached with a big rubber band on the left brake reservoir) and am looking for a mount. Some attach to the center nut, and others on the side. If I mount the dector in the middle will it receive signals from the rear?

3. I am needing a new helmet to replace my 10 year old Arai, and am considering the Caberg Justimisso. I would like a flip up helmet, any sugggestions?

4. I am also considering a Aerostitch jacket or riding suit. I currently have a Fieldsheer suit that work well. I like the Aerostitch Falstaff and think it may be more waterproof, so I am looking for reviews on that also.

I just picked up my 06 (in Fairbanks) and have put a 1,000 miles on it, last run was to Valdez which I encountered some rain and temperatures down to +36F (yes it was still light at midnight). This is one awesome bike! Alaskan road have many frost heaves and this bike eats them up and spits them out quite well.

Thanks,

Randy Wagner

Tolsona, Alaska

907 320-0216
The search engine is your friend. Probablly would do better if you started a new thread for your questions on these and the G2 would be a good start for mods after you relieve the middle throttle spring. And I think the Yamaha heated grips are too expensive but not sure on that. Good luck and be safe. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from my first 1000 mile long weekend with my new FJR. I have a Fred H. shim in there, but I found that in the twisties, its still not enough. So, i put my order in for a G2 this morning. Hope this works.
I recently added the G2 to my fred shim. you will definitly notice a difference with this combination. you will not completely rid yourself of "the lurch" though. but you'll be damn close (certainly closer than either of these farkles solo).

Its worth it....

GreyGoose

I rode my 06 today after installing the G-2 and I would say it is just a little better. I will do the spring thing next but i should have saved the $65 bucks.

I rode my 06 today after installing the G-2 and I would say it is just a little better. I will do the spring thing next but i should have saved the $65 bucks.
Personally I thought the same thing until I put some miles on the bike in the twisties and started to appreceiate the off idle when applying throttle coming off the appex. Can you say smoooooooooooth? This is a great addition. PM. <>< :D

i just put my GP2 on yesterday...definitely feel a difference..no more throttle "shock"! LOL

only thing now is my heated grips dont' work...its always something ::sigh::

Mine came in today but i'll wait till I decide which heated grips and grips to get and do it and the throttle spring,and the TBS, all at the same time.

I'm getting ready to pick up my (new to me) 06 and ride it home.....home being 3000 miles away.
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the throttle tube and cam and install it before my trip. Does it really make that big a difference when most of my riding will be on open roads?

I am installing a vista cruise throttle lock.
Definitely install the Vista Cruise before your cross country trip. After the trip, you and the FJR will be well aquainted and you will know how comfortable (or uncomfortable) you are with the throttle.

You might want to put the 'throttle spring mod' on your list of considerations as well.

I wouldn't recommend the throttle spring mod with a G2 & the MADCO throttle lock. It creates just a bit too much friction and with the spring mod, you can get some delay in throttle return. I had already completed the spring mod before the G2 & MADCO install and I wasn't happy with the return rate. I took the tank off and proceded to fish a piece of safety wire up under the pully to "re-spring" the throttle cam. I took me about 15 minutes but I got it done. Now I'm much more satisfied with the return. All works well now.

Herkypilot

I have a question. I have the'07 with factory heated grips. Seems to me the heat element is in the grip itself(just looking at where the wires go) so for me to do this am I looking at replacing me heated grips too? sure hate to do that considering the bike is only 10 days old and has only 120 miles on it yet... So do I need new grips or can I get them off????

I'm getting ready to pick up my (new to me) 06 and ride it home.....home being 3000 miles away.
I'm wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the throttle tube and cam and install it before my trip. Does it really make that big a difference when most of my riding will be on open roads?

I am installing a vista cruise throttle lock.
Definitely install the Vista Cruise before your cross country trip. After the trip, you and the FJR will be well aquainted and you will know how comfortable (or uncomfortable) you are with the throttle.

You might want to put the 'throttle spring mod' on your list of considerations as well.

I wouldn't recommend the throttle spring mod with a G2 & the MADCO throttle lock. It creates just a bit too much friction and with the spring mod, you can get some delay in throttle return. I had already completed the spring mod before the G2 & MADCO install and I wasn't happy with the return rate. I took the tank off and proceded to fish a piece of safety wire up under the pully to "re-spring" the throttle cam. I took me about 15 minutes but I got it done. Now I'm much more satisfied with the return. All works well now.

Herkypilot
Did the spring mod, G-2, and the MadCo throttle lock and everything is smooth. This setup works really great. One point, might try to smooth out the inside of the MadCo lock if using the G-2 as the G-2 is a little larger diameter than the stock throttle tube and also be sure to lube under the tube. PM. <>< :D

So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.
I know this has been splashed all over the forum, but just got mine (and my wife's) on today. Just went around the block and it is fantastic. decarver, you need a medal. You were absolutely right. It is a great farkle. It is so smooth at slow speeds...no more jackrabbiting when going slow. I will try it out on the curves tomorrow.

The first one took me way over 10 minutes. However, my wife's took me aboutr 12 minutes. Something about knowing what you are doing.

Hey, I put in my own ECU (BFD) so I qualify for something!? Got my hand greasy......

Anyway, I brought it up again so new guys/gals can get the benefit of the info. Thanks again dcarver!

So this was a piece of cake to install?Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD
Yes, it was really easy. I did it all in less than 10 minutes. You will *most likely* need new grips. I had already replaced the stock grips when I installed the MADCO throttle lock months earlier.. I simply cut them off with a single edged blade back then. Don't recall if they were glued from the factory or not. For this go round, I used compressed air under the grip to slip it off without damage. Also, I use safety wire on my grips to prevent slipping when wet.
I can't state strongly enough how well this farkle works. Most times, you farkle it and 'kind of' feel a difference (Strada E tires vs Road Pilots, barbarian jumper mod, etc) but this farkle is very much evident at the first post farkle ride. I am really, really, :D :D :D with this farkle.
I know this has been splashed all over the forum, but just got mine (and my wife's) on today. Just went around the block and it is fantastic. decarver, you need a medal. You were absolutely right. It is a great farkle. It is so smooth at slow speeds...no more jackrabbiting when going slow. I will try it out on the curves tomorrow.

The first one took me way over 10 minutes. However, my wife's took me aboutr 12 minutes. Something about knowing what you are doing.

Hey, I put in my own ECU (BFD) so I qualify for something!? Got my hand greasy......

Anyway, I brought it up again so new guys/gals can get the benefit of the info. Thanks again dcarver!
Good for you!

In trade, you can become my personal trainer as I need to get back into shape and racing MotoCross again...

+Another.

Another lover of the G2. Easy mod...great return for the investment. Easy and quick to accomplish too.

Before I was scared to try my low speed tight-manuver practice. Bike was way too jerky. Now smooth,

I've got a roll-off. My wife thought I just just not used to the new bike. Now she knows different :yahoo:

2188684316_2386b7731c_m.jpg

1993228718_926a25c0df_m.jpg

1993238910_4bb6a54048_m.jpg

I thought the G2 was good but it didn't reduce the leverage during the begining and end of the throttle rotation. I thought about modifying the G2 ring but it was easier to modify the original plastic throttle tube. The original radius from the center of throttle tube to cable was 18mm. I used a dremmel to shave as close to the tube as possible. This brought the radius down to 12.5mm. I went up as close to the end of the cable as I thought could go without taking off too much "meat" since its only plastic and there is a lot of tention on the cable end. This mod changed the throttle rotation from 80 degrees to 114 degrees. Since I like to keep the front tire on the ground, I never twist it more than 80 degrees anyway. It adds about 25mm of slack to the cable so you need to take that out. I took it out on the return cable side so at rest the cable is sitting on its new 12.5mm radius and not the 18mm radius of the cable end connector. The reduced leverage also reduced some of that spring pressure on the wrist. It feels great. Smooth power from idle to wherever sensibilty kicks in. If I did it again I would just take a saw blade with a depth guide and cut a grove around the tube for the cable to ride in.

+Another.
Another lover of the G2. Easy mod...great return for the investment. Easy and quick to accomplish too.

Before I was scared to try my low speed tight-manuver practice. Bike was way too jerky. Now smooth,

I've got a roll-off. My wife thought I just just not used to the new bike. Now she knows different :yahoo:
+1

Wife stopped jeering me the moment G2 was added.