G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question for Dcarver on compressed air. Do I need a compressor for this? What type of connector on the compressor? Or....are you talking about the compressed air in a can? Excuse me if I'm a little green to this stuff.

question for Dcarver on compressed air. Do I need a compressor for this? What type of connector on the compressor? Or....are you talking about the compressed air in a can? Excuse me if I'm a little green to this stuff.
You will need an air compressor with the typical blow nozzle. Not the OSHA approved type. Smaller tip is better.

Compressed air in cans will not get the job done. Too much volume and blow time required.

Not to cut in on Don, but you can use some WD-40, just squirt it under the grip to remove and take it and wash it with warm soapy water asap after removal. Mine came right off. PM. <><

I adjusted the excess slack out of my throttle cable tonight as suggested in some other threads. Definitely "helped" with the jerky throttle reponse going thru the 1st couple of gears. Once I'm at 3rd and above I don't really notice any jerkiness. Still from what you guys have posted hear, I think the G2 sounds like the 1st farkle I'll be getting for my new baby. I just hope this weather finally turns. I still have under a 100 mile on it!

With my G2 installed, the throttle inspires enough confidence to drag hard parts :yahoo: This is what it's suppose to be IMHO

Did the G2 mod today. Best Farkle so far.

I think the throttle turns easier as well as eliminating the dead spot.

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

You will need an air compressor with the typical blow nozzle. Not the OSHA approved type. Smaller tip is better.

Compressed air in cans will not get the job done. Too much volume and blow time required.

Installed the G2 along with a Heli triple clamp today. Compressed air was definitely the thing for removing the grip; I conveniently have ~1/4 diameter wand at the end of the air hose, sticks easily between the throttle tube and grip. Squeezed a little around the open end to trap the air, and the grip popped loose and easily pulled off. I had to reposition the air wand about half way off, as I lost the position and got stuck. Anyway, it took less than 5 minutes to unscrew the throttle housing and remove the grip. I have a Throttlemeister, no problem at all installing in the new throttle tube.

After installing, I also tightened up the throttle cable tension, as there was too much play to begin with. The combination of excess play and abrupt throttle made the bike a little jumpy at slow throttle. Now... Unbelievable, total control. The weather is terrible here, but can't wait to take it out on a long run. Just took it around town to confirm operation, it is fantastic. Great farkle.

Installed the G2 along with a Heli triple clamp today. Compressed air was definitely the thing for removing the grip; I conveniently have ~1/4 diameter wand at the end of the air hose, sticks easily between the throttle tube and grip. Squeezed a little around the open end to trap the air, and the grip popped loose and easily pulled off. I had to reposition the air wand about half way off, as I lost the position and got stuck. Anyway, it took less than 5 minutes to unscrew the throttle housing and remove the grip. I have a Throttlemeister, no problem at all installing in the new throttle tube.

After installing, I also tightened up the throttle cable tension, as there was too much play to begin with. The combination of excess play and abrupt throttle made the bike a little jumpy at slow throttle. Now... Unbelievable, total control. The weather is terrible here, but can't wait to take it out on a long run. Just took it around town to confirm operation, it is fantastic. Great farkle.
I've got the triple-clamp, risers, and the G2 on the shelf, waiting to be installed. Oh for more than 24 hours in a day. :unsure:

LC :blink:

B) -->

QUOTE(Captain B @ Apr 19 2007, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For us not so mechanically inclined - can this be done with heated grips on a 2007 AE?
yes it can, done on my 06 AE and it is the same as your 07AE. It is a really cheap way to smooth out AE throttle contro. Strongly recommended.

B) -->

QUOTE(Captain B @ Apr 19 2007, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For us not so mechanically inclined - can this be done with heated grips on a 2007 AE?
Easy enough to do with an airgun. I've heard someone in another thread mention to mark the location of the wires, so when you change tubes they come out in the same relative possition.

I finally got a chance to ride my bike (for the first time this season) with the G2 throttle cam. It is a vast improvement over the stock setup and well worth the money. I probably won't realize just how much it improves the bike until I'm pushing it in the twisties. One word of caution before installing the cam. Please take note of the angle of the throttle housing and the angle of the cables going into the housing before loosening the two bolts. If you reassemble this and change the angle of the housing, your throttle may hang up and no amount of lubricant will help. This little tidbit may save you a good 30 minutes of aggravation.

I finally got a chance to ride my bike (for the first time this season) with the G2 throttle cam. It is a vast improvement over the stock setup and well worth the money. I probably won't realize just how much it improves the bike until I'm pushing it in the twisties. One word of caution before installing the cam. Please take note of the angle of the throttle housing and the angle of the cables going into the housing before loosening the two bolts. If you reassemble this and change the angle of the housing, your throttle may hang up and no amount of lubricant will help. This little tidbit may save you a good 30 minutes of aggravation.
If memory serves, there is a locating pin/dimple arrangement for the housing to the bars. Unless it is lined up correctly, the housing will clamp in a catiwampous manner leading to a bind in the mechanism.

Bill

If memory serves, there is a locating pin/dimple arrangement for the housing to the bars. Unless it is lined up correctly, the housing will clamp in a catiwampous manner leading to a bind in the mechanism.

Bill

Good information all. Thanks

LC

Installed my G2 today.

Easy install and much smoother throttle.

I just cut off my old grips with razor and install new ones.

Its amazing how nice and smoooooth the throttle is now, like it should be. I don't think about/notice the throttle just easy/smooth throttle on/off. I ordered the 135mm pro grips after cutting of stock ones and the gel in them reduces/eliminates the buzzy bars.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to throw in another BIG thumbs up for this mod. It has totally fixed the only complaint I had with the way my 2006 engine runs.

-Uwe-

:rolleyes: I put the G2 tube and the Gen-mar risers on my 06 this bike is much better than it was I now can ride over 50 miles without cramping in my upper back. I still can't understand why my tires are burning off so fast but I love feeling my eyeballs sinking into the back of my head every time I get on it. Also starting off in second gear most of the time helps.

Cart

Did mine tonight. Only had time for a quick test ride but it definitely seems better. I think between installing the G2 and taking the slack out of the throttle cable is a cheap easy way to "tame the beast".