GALFER Brake Systems GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver, Blue, Black, Red.....for me its the bike we ride, color is not to important. I think they all look great! :yahoo:

I got my quantum view shipping notification yesterday. Scheduled delivery for early next week. And me on vacation and everything. Awesome.

I'd like to say a great big thank you to Todd for the awesome customer service. In this day and age you don't find many companies that go above and beyond but Todd and his crew certainly do. I was going to have the brake parts shipped to Arizona to be hand carried to Alberta but there was a chance that shipment timing and schedules wouldn't synch up. Instead of just shipping the parts they called first to find out where I wanted them sent. That little phone call prevented the parts from going to Arizona and missing the trip home because my friend had already left. :clapping:

I wouldn't hesitate to deal with Todd again. As Warchild said, they are very, very good. Thanks again Todd, I'm one happy customer. :yahoo:

I finally stopped procrastinating, and got my front and rear brake pads ordered.... awesome price, and should be here in a week or two.

Thanks Dale.

I got 'em today. Things of beauty these Galfer Rotors are ! So far, I managed to strip three of the bolts for the front rotors. I had to drill them and use an easy-out to remove them . . I hope my local deal has a few extras in stock. For anyone who cares, I weighed my old OEM rotors on my bathroom scale and they were 7.5 lbs. for both. The Galfers were 6 lbs. for both, so 1.5 pounds of unsprung weight is lost with this upgrade.

So far, I managed to strip three of the bolts for the front rotors. I had to drill them and use an easy-out to remove them . . I hope my local deal has a few extras in stock.
The bolts have a thread lock compound on them... it helps to get them out if you heat up the bolt first...

The bolts have a thread lock compound on them... it helps to get them out if you heat up the bolt first...
Yep, they used a variant of the brutal Loctite Green 620. Very tough stuff...... heat and an impact driver highly recommended.

No impact driver? Consider using a 1/2" Breaker bar with a properly fitting hex driver.

Yep, they used a variant of the brutal Loctite Green 620. Very tough stuff...... heat and an impact driver highly recommended.

No impact driver? Consider using a 1/2" Breaker bar with a properly fitting hex driver.
After hearing about these problems before, I was all set up with a small torch, an impact wrench, and a cheater bar.

I applied a small amount of heat to the first bolt-head and it came right out with a regular ratchet and hex driver.

Just for fun, I tried the next one with no heat, and it came right out; as did the rest of them.

I guess limp-wristed guy installed mine at the factory.

Installed Galfer rotors and pads today. 05 ABS.

Install took about 4 hours. Hardest thing was pulling little pins on front caliper pins. Pins were rotated down toward rotors, couldn't pull them from that direction. Rotated pins toward top of caliper, then no problems.

Shims on pads fit on rear but not on front.

Had no problem with bolts. Used an impact driver. 2 good hits with hammer they broke free.

Flushed brake and clutch fluids, vacuum bleeder.

I went for a short ride, brakes feel good. Initial bite is good. These are an improvement on stock set-up.

Had 19k on old rotors and pads. Worn about 50% on pads.

Rotors look great.

Thanks for setting up group buy. Prices very good.

I was pleasantly suprised with my front rotors. They came off with nothing more than the hex socket on a breaker bar. I can't understand why the rear was such a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.