Gas Prices, Two Wheel Withdrawl, Other Ramblings -

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gryphon68

Reaction score
Been out of town on busness for a little over a week and a half, incluidng two weekends, starting to have two-wheel withdrawl . . . .

On the plus side all of my expenses are going on the corporate card, $50 to fill a TrailBlazer LT that Hertz put me in the other day.

I have been and will continue to ride to work more, not only does the bike get significantly better gas milage than even my Focus (never mind the F150), but I am also really enjoying my new(ish) ride. The top case makes it much easier to deal with for commuting compared to other rides in the past.

Anyone else increased there two-wheel commuting with the gas prices on the up? I've told more than one person lately that if prices keep going up (which they look like they very well could). That they will be looking interested in those bigger step-through scooters that get 60+mpg compared to their cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas hit $2.50 in the Hill Country today. How many mo-peds can I get for an FJR with less than 2000 miles on it???? ;)

Actually, I'm considering the Toyota Prius myself. Got one coming to the local dealer this week, may drive it home. 60mpg in the city, 50mpg highway. Hell, that's better than the FJR, and it has AC! ;)

Mike

Actually, I'm considering the Toyota Prius myself.  Got one coming to the local dealer this week, may drive it home.  60mpg in the city, 50mpg highway.  Hell, that's better than the FJR, and it has AC!  ;)
Mike
Real world mileage numbers are nowhere near the posted EPA #'s. Google up Car & Driver or AutoWeek, then search their review articles. Hybrids are way overrated. Gonna be another 10 years before current EPA #'s reach real world #'s.

the New Ford Escape Hybrid gets pretty closed to the claimed 34MPG, and it does about as well in the City. And, it's an SUV with a little more room and capability than the other Hybrids. Most of which are quite ugly!

I just filled up the FJR and also noticed that even the cheap stuff was $2.49. This blows :-(

About 4 years ago I started building my project truck running a stroked Ford 428 motor that needs Super. Now, $2.70/gallon. It's lucky to get 10mpg on the highway if I drive a little below the speed limit. I might just have to sell it for parts. The motor is probably only good for a drag racer these days. this sucks :-(

Even my new jeep- barely gets 15mpg, if I take it easy. This bites :-(

Not to throw stink on your steaks, but one may wish to consider the financial and "Earth Footpint" impacts of battery change-outs on these hybrids. I read that they can last six years or so. Anyone know otherwise?

They did just make it legal to drive a Hybrid in the HOV lanes here in the Republik of Kalifornia. Of course, only three of the hybrids on the market qualify!

Todd

I topped off my tank on Saturday at El Portal, just out of Yosemite, and decided to use 87 Octane because it was $3.46.9 per gallon. Even at 46mpg it is starting to make one want to stay home and read (NOT). The riding is not only cheaper than the car it is ALWAYS more fun.

Whatever happened to those skanky little cars that got 50-60mpg with regular engines and crap performance??? We had an '89 Toyota Corolla SR5 sport coupe that got 40 MPG on the highway, and around 30 in the city--and that was a NICE car!

What's the best mileage ordinary car these days?

My brother has around a 90 mile round trip to work. Bought a used Satellite with manual for around $5,000 with around 60,000 on it and had almost 250,000 miles on it when he got rid of it. Bought a second one, about the same deal. Each got almost 40 mpg.

When we were car shopping the wife wanted " small with good gas milage ". We ended up with a Jetta with the turbo / diesel. It gets 42 to 45 around town and 50 /55 on the freeway ( depending on who's driving and how much lead is in the foot :D ). So far it has been trouble free for 40,000 miles.

Your right on with the battery life, four or five years tops, and with the added premium of buying one of the hybrids you need to keep it six or more years to gain any savings over a standard model.

I'm just glad my FJR gets along well with the cheap stuff, because even the 87 grade is $2.57/gal where I live. Ouch. 9 bucks for half a tank. My '82 buick LeSabre is seeing almost NO use, but I hate to use the FJR for commuting because the commute is only about 11 miles. . .Start the bike, warm up for 2 minutes, drive for 15 minutes, shut it off. Start the bike, warm up for 2 minutes, drive for 15 minutes, shut it off. Repeat ad nauseum for poor gas mileage. The commuting yields about 35mpg, which sucks when compared to the best mileage which was was 53.7mpg (not typical). . .I usually avg about 44-46mpg. This is embarassing to admit, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a cheap little scooter with 60mpg that I don't care about for this commuting nonsense, and reserve the FJR for the fun stuff.

Your right on with the battery life, four or five years tops, and with the added premium of buying one of the hybrids you need to keep it six or more years to gain any savings over a standard model.
Batteries are covered for 100k under warranty. With the cost of replacement batteries costing upward of $7k, you'll never recoup the cost difference at current fuel costs. You're only hope is that the batteries crap out before 100k and get replaced under warranty or fuel costs get way outta hand...

Concur on the diesel VW. Too bad California allows only so many to be sold of each model/mfg. I tried like hell to get a diesel Passat. No dice. Eviro Bastards!

Stopped on the way back from WFO for gas and a bottle of water. Got the cheap stuff. $2.39/gal. for gas $8.00/gal. for water. When I got home got a latte just befor the house. $37.33 per gal. I need to find a body that dosen't use liquids.

Phil

Dirty rotten bastards.....Gas just jumped from $2.47 to $2.79 this AM in Meechigan. Good thing I filled everything up yesterday. :D Can you say $3.00 as a national average soon ? :angry: Just keep commuting on those FJR's.

--G