• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen II Luggage Racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GAPS,
My wife wants a backrest too. Just curious are ya’ll riding on the OEM seat or have ya already gotten an aftermarket seat? :questionmark:

shokdimn
shokdimn, OEM saddle, we both like it. OTOH we have little to compare it to, Im coming from the sportbike arena so the FJR is a couch for us.

Just a curious question. What do you have to do if you buy without a backrest and later determine you want one? Is there a fix or will you have to purchase a new rack? Will the backrest only option fit? I kinda like garauld's backrest better than the corbin, though I don't have either, yet.

Mike

Garauld,

I don't know if you saw this photo or not, but I took the liberty of modifying the photo to what I would like the rack to look like, so I could mount a Givi E250 universal plate on it and put a Givi V46 trunk box on the bike.

If all you need the rack for, is to put a trunk case on, it doesn't need to be as large. The only remaining question is will the rack be strong enough to support a trunk with just the three mounting bolts in the rear or will it need additional support?

Waddya think?

medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Garauld,
I don't know if you saw this photo or not, but I took the liberty of modifying the photo to what I would like the rack to look like, so I could mount a Givi E250 universal plate on it and put a Givi V46 trunk box on the bike.

If all you need the rack for, is to put a trunk case on, it doesn't need to be as large. The only remaining question is will the rack be strong enough to support a trunk with just the three mounting bolts in the rear or will it need additional support?

Waddya think?

medium.jpg
Hmmm, not a bad idea shrinking it down - very doable. The rack should support the box as long as you didn't load it up with bricks or something... Actually, Yamaha only rates their rack for 10#(?) anyway... Isn't there a little sticky under the seat? :dribble:

I would be interested in Fred's cut down version of the rack with a removable backrest. IMHO the options thus far have been too big for my purposes and detract from the lines of the bike. I'll PM you when I have the money to invest, if you decide to make some of them. Any general idea how much I should budget? My wife is bugging me for a backrest and I like the idea of Fred's modification of your design, but with removable backrest.

And I also want to say I appreciate your efforts and flexibility Garauld, to make the experience with the FJR even better.

Product Report:

Installed Gary's rack with backrest on my '06 any left for a trip with my wife the next day. She loved it! She said it made all the difference in the world to her. She felt secure, was obviously more relaxed and was a happy camper! (If Momma's happy...). She said it felt as if it was made specifically to fit her back.

BTW, the workmanship is excellent and the color match is spot on!!!!!!

I did add thin mylar washers between the ss washer and the painted bracket when mounting the removeable backrest.

Thanks Gary!!!

just got the rack with backrest, today. it looks great on the bike and workmanship is very high quality.

thanks gary.

Product Report:
Installed Gary's rack with backrest on my '06 any left for a trip with my wife the next day. She loved it! She said it made all the difference in the world to her. She felt secure, was obviously more relaxed and was a happy camper! (If Momma's happy...). She said it felt as if it was made specifically to fit her back.

BTW, the workmanship is excellent and the color match is spot on!!!!!!

I did add thin mylar washers between the ss washer and the painted bracket when mounting the removeable backrest.

Thanks Gary!!!
+1.....my wife loves this new farkle, it was a VERY easy sell :)

Pics of Garaulds 06 rack w/ removeable backrest, click link below and scroll down to see.

My wife is very pleased with the backrest, the ergos are right on the money letting her stay in the saddle for longer periods and I get to twist the throttle harder before her life alert system sounds the alarm :yahoo:

As stated elsewhere, the quality is outstanding and everything lined up perfect, simple install.

THANKS GARAULD!!

https://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/MOTOGAPS/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gang, here's an image of the 2006 rack with the removeable backrest option. This customer wanted his powdercoated satin black instead of Cobalt blue. It comes with all new SST mounting hardware. Other options are available. Send me a PM if you are interested in one... B)

Thanks.
Looks much better in the "live" pics than the photoshopped one. Are they as wide as the ones for the 05?

Mike
hi there garauld im interested in looking at the rack with the back rest how much will all this cost me as im living in singapore

Hey, Folks...

I am a bit tardy in posting this, but I got hung up having some friggin' surgery done, damn it!

But one of the nicest things I found waiting when I got home was one of Gary's racks and backrests in 2006 Cobalt Blue. I had ordered one a couple of months ago and it made a nice welcome home present to myself!

Because of the required recovery time I have not gotten to ride with the rack/backrest set-up yet, but here are a few notes about my initial impressions of Gary's work...

WOW!

I mean it. Wow!

Gary's workmanship, fit, and finish are absolutely outstanding. Beautiful welds, flawless design, close tolerances yet perfect fit, spot-on paint matching (I got mine painted Cobalt Blue to match my '06), and truly first-class hardware. I simply couldn't be happier.

To be a bit more detailed... I have been fortunate enough to work around some of the very best race car fabricators in the world, and Gary's skill with tubing and a welder are second to none I have ever seen. It is one thing to make something tightly toleranced, while quite another to make sure that same piece lines up and bolts on without any alignment issues. Maybe I just got lucky, but Gery's rack fit my 2006 so perfectly that one would have sworn it was custom laid-out and produced on my bike. All three rack mounting holes lined up PERFECTLY! Not just close... Not needing a bit of pressure or tweaking... Nothing. Just perfect, flawless alignment, period. Add to this the fact that the rack is square and level, too. That may not sound like much, but how many times have you bolted on an aftermarket piece and have it looked tweaked right out of the box???

Not with Gary's rack/backrest, I assure you.

As Gary has pointed out, this rack far exceeds the capabilities of the lousy stock '06 rack... If for no other reason than you can actually carry something on it and tie it down. As I have been hobbling around my garage I have experimented with tying down all my various seat, rack, and duffle bags to Gary's rack and I am 110% positive it will perform its duties flawlessly. This is a product of good, sound, careful, and well reasoned design. After having it mounted I can say I wouldn't want to change a thing. I may buy a second one from him without the backrest mount... That's how highly I think of the design. And I honestly think the appearance of Gary's rack fits in perfectly with the styling of the Yamaha, and doesn't detract one bit. Mine will probably be a permanent resident on the back of my '06'

Another amazing thing is the literally perfect paint match to the 2006 Yamaha Cobalt Blue. Currently I own and operate a new car dealership, complete with full-service bodyshop... And I have been in and around the car and motorcycle business all my life. I know just how hard it is to get a paint match when you have the vehicle right there in front of you, and cannot imagine how difficult it has to be to get good paint matches when your customer's vehicle is clean across the country... Yet Gary did it, well... Perfectly. That's the only way to describe it - Perfectly.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea... I love my rack and backrest set-up I got from Gary, and I simply cannot recommend his work highly enough. I should also mention that despite his being overwhelmed with orders, and that causing a bit of a delay in final delivery, Gary never failed to keep my informed, nor to answer any inquiries I had about my order's progress. He was always cordial and courteous, and when he did ship the rack/backrest combo it was well packed, safely and securely, to make it's trip across the country to me.

If you are looking for a backrest and rack combo, or just one or the other, again I simply cannot recommend Gary's products highly enough. When you buy from Gary you get something that looks like it was hand-fabricated and custom-built just for your bike - probably because that's exactly what his products are - custom-built and hand-made just for you. Nothing you bolt to your FJR will draw more attention or get more admiring stares... At least that's what has happened as many of my riding buddies have dropped by during my recovery. They all look at Gary's rack/backrest and start asking questions about it, and many simply cannot believe it was built by a guy clean across the country. Most all think I had it custom-built locally and painted in our own bodyshop.

Now that's a compliment.

Gary, my sincerest THANKS for producing such a high quality product. I can't wait to see what else you build, just so I can buy it. For you other FJR Pilots... If you are on the fence about whether to try some of Gary's work, don't wait any longer. You'll only be sorry if you don't buy Gary's stuff. His work is that good.

Just FYI, and my two cents...

Thanks again, Gary!

Dallara

How about a backrest that can be joined to the stock rack. Just a backrest. Maybe make it easy to remove. Have it hook on the front part and secure with the center bolt, or a receiver mount for the backrest attached to the Yamaha rack? I don't ride my wife very much but it would be nice to be able to add a backrest when needed, and keep my stock seat. Do you have a design for that?
Hey, VA is for lovers right?

You should ride your wife often ;)

I am looking for a easily detachable backrest too. No bolts to remove kind.

Got a new rack for the '06 from Gary today-- workmanship is excellent.

Here it is with out back rest or bag--

IMG_2760.jpg

With rest--

IMG_2759.jpg

And with a Nelson Rigg CL150

IMG_2758.jpg

B)

dude, you are on the right thread, talk to Gaurald, he makes a removable backrest or backrest/rack.

Top quality stuff.

I just got a small rack for my Givi top case that he made for me, painted cobalt blue and it is first rate.

Got a new rack for the '06 from Gary today-- workmanship is excellent.
And with a Nelson Rigg CL150

IMG_2758.jpg

B)
That looks fantastic with the bag, and a lighter/better looking solution than the top boxes, methinks. I think that's more of what I need--a "bag mount" that comes off easily when I don't need the bag.

I don't care for the empty rack, though. I dunno, it seems like a great fit and good workmanship, but doesn't "follow" so much the sharp angles of the rest of the FEEJ. It threatens to be a little scooteresque.

I really need something, though.

The rack comes off by simply unscrewing the 3 bolts with spacers, and replacing with the stock bolts... about 2 minutes.

B)