Getting this thing on the center stand is a _)*+(_*()*+)(U*!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kootenayguy

Reaction score
I am having a bugger of a time getting this thing on the center stand. Is that just because its a bigger bike or is there a technigue to this?

I make sure it is out of gear, grab the handle on the right rear frame, stand on the center stand and try to move the bike toward the rear.

Sorry I ain't gonna Search as I'm way to busy getting drunk but, I recall a post featuring a girl on video demonstrating.... who had no problems. :D

It's a matter of finessing the pig up on it really. Put the weight on the tang and pull her up. Used to do it till the back went south few years ago and It wasn't to hard.. really.

:jester:

If I can do it, anyone can.

One thing tho, have a good stiff soled shoe on. If I have a shoe with flex in the sole I can try all day long. A good stiff sole to step on the thang and I have 'er up in no time...

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated holding the left hand grip, grab the right rear luggage rack, step down on the Centerstand until the centerstand is touching with both of the feet, and pull up hard on the luggage rack and the bike should move backward and onto the stand.

The first time you might have someone at the rear to balance. They more you try this the easier it will become.

Yes technique is very important.

When you step on the stand and push it to the ground,,,,,,,,then slightly rock it toward and away from you until you feel the 2 feet are hitting the ground together.......then put your weight on the stand as you lift.

If you are a lightweight person and you want to make it easier to do by yourself........put on a small backpack with about 20 or more pounds of weight in it.

OR

Here is a hint that a friend with a big old Honda Valkyrie uses...........He carries a small 3/4 in. board in his saddlebag.

Roll the rear wheel onto the board and then it (according to him) is very easy to get it up on the centerstand.

I am having a bugger of a time getting this thing on the center stand. Is that just because its a bigger bike or is there a technigue to this?
Out of gear, centered vertically, left hand on hand grip keeping bike pointed straight ahead right hand on lift grip under side of seat, right foot on deployment tang and then straighten right leg while lifting with right hand- goes very smoothly for me.

...grab the right rear luggage rack, ...and pull up hard on the luggage rack ...
Caution...! The luggage rack (and associated hand-holds) is/are only some kind of plastic and may not take kindly to this kind of use...? :unsure:

Maybe. more better, this:

...right hand on lift grip under side of seat, ...lifting with right hand

If you're pulling or lifting anything, you're doing it wrong IMHO. Use the weight of your body by standing on the thing!

Rock the bike up until both center stand feet are touching then stand up on your right foot. When done right, you end up with:

Left hand on left grip

Right hand on lift handle (though you won't be LIFTING anything)

Right foot on center stand

Left foot sticking out in the air at a 45 degree angle for balance

:The problem you are experiencing is gravitational pull. As you are farther from the equator, the gravity is heavier north of the 49th and there by the bike is heavier. Make sure the front is facing south as that will lessen the pull. :)

It's funny that everyone seems to have their own twist to how to do it - which doesn't make it easier when you're trying to figure out THE technique to use.

So here's what the dealer told me, and if I ever find I'm having a hard time getting it on the stand I just remember what he said:

Don't try to lift it up. Push down on the center stand with your foot.

So, as others said:

1. Wear hard soled shoes

2. In neutral

3. hold left grip with left hand

4. Hold grab spot on the frame on left side (don't hold the saddlebag, find where your hand goes beside it)

5. Push down on the centerstand until it contacts the floor

6. Center the bike so both feet of the stand are touching - move the bike from left to right gently (so you don't lose it) until you feel both feet touching

7. Have someone spot you until you're comfortable with this

8. Then, when you have both feet touching, and you're square with the bike, stand on the center stand - push down with your right leg, to use the leverage to raise the bike.

9. You can pull up, too, with your hand, but you want the primary force to come from pushing down on the center stand

10. Properly executed, it's not difficult - I always keep mine on the centerstand

I keep my FJR on the center stand when I get home. There are a few things that are important vs. putting other bikes on the center stand. I don't know if this is unique to the FJR or to bikes that weigh 650+ in general (I never did manage to get my K1200LTE up on the center stand), but here's what I learned, in addition to some of the things already listed:

1) Put the bike in neutral.

2) Make sure the front wheel of the bike is pointing ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT. This was the #1 thing for me that made a difference vs other bikes I've owned.

3) Use the right hand handle underneath the seat, on the left side of the bike.

4) Take your time and make sure the bike is as upright as possible. No leaning in either direction!

5) Put your right foot on the center stand tang and as other folks have said make sure both feet are touching.

6) I only weigh 168lb right now, so I have to kind of jump with my left leg and push with my right leg. I do not pull up with my hands AT ALL. Doing so may strain your back, so don't do it.

7) Booyaka!

Er, step 7 is optional.

...Don't try to lift it up. Push down on the center stand with your foot...
So, as others said:

1. Wear hard soled shoes

2. In neutral

3. hold left grip with left hand

4. Hold grab spot on the frame on left side (don't hold the saddlebag, find where your hand goes beside it)

5. Push down on the centerstand until it contacts the floor

6. Center the bike so both feet of the stand are touching - move the bike from left to right gently (so you don't lose it) until you feel both feet touching

7. Have someone spot you until you're comfortable with this

8. Then, when you have both feet touching, and you're square with the bike, stand on the center stand - push down with your right leg, to use the leverage to raise the bike.

9. You can pull up, too, with your hand, but you want the primary force to come from pushing down on the center stand

10. Properly executed, it's not difficult - I always keep mine on the centerstand
I agree with this technique, only I would append that you should add a little lifting force, but not straight up. The lifting should be up and back toward the rear of the bike. I can get my bike on the center stand with little foot effort and almost no hand effort. In fact, if I get forceful with it, the whole motorcycle slides backwards on the center stand.

With the hand on the grip below the seat there is no lifting. It is merely backing up your leg push. Don't try to lift the bike. Push the stand down with your leg.

Just lay the bike on it's side, extend the centerstand, then stand the bike back up. Cake B)

As everyone else has said, it's all technique.

I'm of resonable size, bike is harder to get on the stand than my old FJ1200 and other prior bikes. I think that is true all of the time for me.

But my last garage and this garage have a little space issue between a PU and a car and a bike. For the last few years I've been putting the '04 FJRABS on a German wheeled platform, low to the ground, but I've a 3/4" piece of plywood for the rear wheel for a little advantage. Just turned 62, in good shape and form, but I've not been fond of the process. So...

FWIW, I just ordered a dolly from www.discountramps.com - with this thing you roll the bike onto a wheeled "tray" with little ramps at each end so it is "locked" into place and you can roll the bike on and off without the need to back it off. Instead of the center stand hassle, it has a side "wing" so that you can simply put down your side stand. Don't know how it'll work out yet, but looks good to me, should work in my situation, the bike will be leaning into the garage, but, I'll be able to snuggle it a little closer to the wall, I think.

Just thought I'd mention.