Getting this thing on the center stand is a _)*+(_*()*+)(U*!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]I[/SIZE] put a Feej on its centerstand yesterday -
Oh. I believe you.

forklift.jpg
OM!! I'm a weight-lifting legend of some renown in my own mind :p

628152242_yVKT5-Th.jpg

One time at a gas station I got it up....................... but the passenger foot got caught in my pants................and ripped out the zipper.
:dribble:

Sounds painful doesn't it?
I used to be an editor for 60 Minutes. :rolleyes:

Not MY Feej, btw, 'cause it's been lowered and not even a smallish guy is putting mine up :glare:
Seems like I took that challenge once in a past life and when I was done my right leg was an inch shorter and my right arm was an inch longer but that sucker was up :yahoo: ...but no one has ever accused me of being a "smallish guy".

I don't bother with putting the bike in neutral, instead I hold the clutch lever in while putting the bike up on the center stand.

I don't worry about neutral, either. There's just enough driveline slack that by the time it bumps the gear the wheel's off the ground. Having it gear when you set it down keeps it from rolling away. :p

I've seen several comments about using a spotter, but I've not seen anyone mention removing the bags.

I remember being an FJR newbie and removing the top bag and side bags, folding the passenger pegs, and having a spotter, all added up to give me the confidence and practice to get it on the center stand. Like everybody says, once you do it a few times it becomes much easier.

It's not exactly about weight. It's all about the force applied between your right hand on the side hold and the pressure on the foot tang. The hand hold is to make yourself weigh more so you can apply more force on the foot tang than your body weight provides.

I went down to the army/navy surplus store, bought one of those "entrenching tools" (and here I always thought they were just little shovels.) You just park someplace where the ground is soft, dig a hole under the bike, stand goes down, easy-cheesy. Or just get MEM to help you. And maybe OM too.

Last edited by a moderator:
O K, I’ve read all 3 above pages & nobody mentioned----Here’s a tip from my Goldwing days; When pressing down w/right foot, make sure that you have already twisted your body to the right, to face the rear. This way you will be pressing/lifting toward the rear (that’s the way you want the bike to go, right!) This will help you use the momentum, of the bike, to get it to roll back & up on the center stand. Try it, you’ll like it…Later,,,De :)

O K, I’ve read all 3 above pages & nobody mentioned----Here’s a tip from my Goldwing days; When pressing down w/right foot, make sure that you have already twisted your body to the right, to face the rear. This way you will be pressing/lifting toward the rear (that’s the way you want the bike to go, right!) This will help you use the momentum, of the bike, to get it to roll back & up on the center stand. Try it, you’ll like it…Later,,,De :)

Dang!

Now that I've sold all my bikes with center stands, someone actually comes up with a great idea!

Thanks!

mary

A couple things help, put or keep your rear suspension on firm setting, and LUBE the centerstand pivot. I had a 900 lb Venture Royale that I thought wouldn't go up. BTW, on the Venture,fork springs were a little known regular changeout item,most went with progressive.

A couple things help, put or keep your rear suspension on firm setting, and LUBE the centerstand pivot. I had a 900 lb Venture Royale that I thought wouldn't go up. BTW, on the Venture,fork springs were a little known regular changeout item,most went with progressive.
Karma reaches out to smite me.

Yesterday, I'm putting the Feej up on the center stand for like the millionth time and it stalls about 3/4 of the way up (see comment above for explanation). So what do I do? I ignore advice I've given to dozens of new riders and pull up with my right hand. Bad decision. I swear I heard the muscle in my back go out, not just felt it. Dang but stupid hurts!

BTW, someone explain me the physics that allows me to be standing in midair with only my right foot and right hand touching the bike, 3/4 of the way up on the center stand, and be able to wrench my own back out of whack. You'd think God would have put some sort of limiter in our brains to prevent that...

You'd think God would have put some sort of limiter in our brains to prevent that...
he did, but it's kinda like on a car. To get cruise, you generally have to buy an automatic

the limiter comes with boobs

:p

Yesterday, I'm putting the Feej up on the center stand for like the millionth time and it stalls about 3/4 of the way up (see comment above for explanation). So what do I do? I ignore advice I've given to dozens of new riders and pull up with my right hand. Bad decision. I swear I heard the muscle in my back go out, not just felt it. Dang but stupid hurts!

BTW, someone explain me the physics that allows me to be standing in midair with only my right foot and right hand touching the bike, 3/4 of the way up on the center stand, and be able to wrench my own back out of whack. You'd think God would have put some sort of limiter in our brains to prevent that...
If it makes you feel any better, I once sprained my ankle while standing in front of a toilet and pissing.

If it makes you feel any better, I once sprained my ankle while standing in front of a toilet and pissing.
There has to be a story there...

I've seen several comments about using a spotter, but I've not seen anyone mention removing the bags.
I remember being an FJR newbie and removing the top bag and side bags, folding the passenger pegs, and having a spotter, all added up to give me the confidence and practice to get it on the center stand. Like everybody says, once you do it a few times it becomes much easier.

It's not exactly about weight. It's all about the force applied between your right hand on the side hold and the pressure on the foot tang. The hand hold is to make yourself weigh more so you can apply more force on the foot tang than your body weight provides.

+1.... More force on the stand and less trying to lift the bike.

Like many stories, it starts with my being inebriated. At a wedding and finding a long line at the only public men's room and needing to go real badly, I find a janitor's closet. I start to pee. It's a 5-beer pee. I want to get back for the toast, so I lean forward to flush before being finished pissing and as I lean forward to flush I piss on my tie as it drops into the stream. I grab at my tie to get it out of the stream and lose my balance. I try to move my foot to re-balance myself and still maintain the accuracy of the stream so I don't piss all over the floor, but I step sideways on a tile ledge and twist my ankle, piss on my tie, piss all over the floor, and fall over into and knock over a bucket of slop water, which swirls around me wetting my shoes, socks, pants, and jacket.

Like many stories, it starts with my being inebriated. At a wedding and finding a long line at the only public men's room and needing to go real badly, I find a janitor's closet. I start to pee. It's a 5-beer pee. I want to get back for the toast, so I lean forward to flush before being finished pissing and as I lean forward to flush I piss on my tie as it drops into the stream. I grab at my tie to get it out of the stream and lose my balance. I try to move my foot to re-balance myself and still maintain the accuracy of the stream so I don't piss all over the floor, but I step sideways on a tile ledge and twist my ankle, piss on my tie, piss all over the floor, and fall over into and knock over a bucket of slop water, which swirls around me wetting my shoes, socks, pants, and jacket.
Wow...that was you? :rofl: :haha: :lol2:

+1.... More force on the stand and less trying to lift the bike.
One thing that makes it easier for me is to not look at the ground while pushing down. Once I'm sure both legs of the stand are

in contact, I look off to the rear of the bike and step down while pulling back and she glides up and on like butta'...smooooth.