Going out doing what you love to do...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points by all...FJRchooser & TWN especially...my perspective is one of 'hardened reality': as a paramedic, I've made the 'dark joke' of "I see dead people!" and I do...frequently...I've seen people that have keeled over while carving a turkey, giving a speech, picking up dry cleaning, and *alas* taking a dump. Let me tell you, having your family find you 'dead on the toilet' is no way to go..no dignity in that. As I see it, based upon my personal observations & experiences, do whatever makes you feel alive (at your level of acceptable risk)because no one knows when their number will be up.

fjrchooser

IMO you have raised two questions that taken me more than a year to sort out to this point.

July 2004, I watched my sister die in a motorcycle accident. Simple left bending turn by a group of four bikes making moderate pace touring of a nice two lane, river canyon highway with a strip of gravel across the road from previous night’s rain. She had made like turns thousands of times [10 plus years of street & 5 years of dirt riding prior]. This day she skidded on the gravel, locked the rear brake and hit the guard rail and landed in a class 4/5 white water section of the river. Eight months later we recovered her remains from the river. Every weekend and many weekdays were spent walking in, on and around that river looking for her. So we [her husband of 25 years, my two other sisters, many friends and even many strangers] had time to consider these questions/issues. For what it is worth, here are my opinions:

Regarding those left behind besides ourselves, there are NO words that will reduce their loss. In the end we can only comfort their physical needs via our care and/or love. Simple but true; actions speak louder than words [meals, hand holding, phone calls, letters & cards, care giving, etc.]

Regarding ourselves [we too are left behind]; we must face our own mortality as best we can. Again this is an individual thing and each has to walk their path. My sister was strong of faith and saved in Jesus. I‘m conformed in knowing that she is with Him. For me, it has shaken my faith in God and goodness and peace. In my mind, I see her flying over her handle bars several times daily. And every time I mount my bike. So, life and recovery from loss seem to be a path. I still enjoy riding. Many times while riding I see in my mind remembrances of her and our good rides. Talking with those who ride and have seen some darkness in their lives has helped me on my path. I will get the ‘06’ FJR this year. And the Lord willing I will take the Alaska trip we planned for this year. Will it help? I think so. I pray so.

Peace you and yours!

Young

I started riding when I was 5 yrs old, living in the U.S., (my father was working in an exchange program {telecommunications}) I started racing in the dirt about the same time. We came home (to Canada) when I was 8.... Family built a cottage on land they had bought before we had left..I continued riding & racing til I was 42 (still keep my licenses valid)...It paid for my education, bought me my 1st house...let me travel the world (racing both motorcycles & cars professionally)...the point is that everyone who knows me... knows that I ride now for me... because I love it..my wife tells new friends we meet that I'm not nuts...(much) its just what I love to do, if I pass doing this... so be it..(49 this year)..I guess what I'm trying to say is...do what you love...enjoy your life & friends...if you pass doing it (god forbid.....or enter the deity of your choice)..let them mourn but hopefully also celebrate your life & times with them..its a very short time we have here..I hope when I go friends & acquaintances will remember me with a smile on their face...& I'd be more then happy with that..for what its worth...

All good stuff, for sure. I'm sure it helps us all.

Five or six years ago, I befriended a man who sold my now ex-wife and I a spa. Tom was a bit eccentric, had a passion for stray animals and hot rods. He was single, in his 50's (although you'd never guess it by his activity level and looks) and took care of his aging mother. We would bump into him around town, occasionally take bags of dog food by his shop, and we started inviting him to our holiday meals, as he really had no other place to go.

One day after not seeing him for about a month, I called to see if he could get me a deal on some pool supplies. A stranger answered the phone and once he figured out I was a friend of Tom's, he informed me that Tom had been killed in a traffic collision about a week previous. He had purchased a Corvette and was following the seller back to his shop in his spa delivery mini-pickup when some asshat blew the stop sign and took him out.

We ended up helping his nephew (the stranger on the phone), down from Oregon with Tom's sister, recover some of his dogs from the shelter since they were in his shop when the police broke in after the death. I went online and found a home in Tiburon for two of his dogs, beautiful father and son Aussies, and delivered them to the new owner. They scored! One acre that ended up at the San Fransisco Bay.

We missed the funeral by a couple of days, so we were feeling bad. I bent the ear of another internet buddy of mine, a very wise young man in recovery from PTSD who I discovered through my association with the Land Cruiser forum. He always had lots of good advice. Even if I sometimes didn't like what he said, it still had to be said.

Anyway, I'll offer up his words of wisdom on dying and death, since it seems timely.

I know what matters, to me. As simple and fundamental a statement as that is, most people never discover the answer until they face the inevitable. We all spend a lifetime lying to ourselves about what matters to us, but when you find yourself unable to move, about to draw your last breath, that is when you really know what matters.
So returning to the subject of Tom and funerals; what can a dead man really want? Rest assured, a dying man wants plenty. A dead man however, wants for nothing. He has everything he has ever really had and everything he will ever have with him right there at that moment. He has two things: he has his thoughts; and he has all of the time that is left to him.

The question then, is what can you really want at that moment? This is the question I've put to myself and the answer, as truth always seems to be, is simple.

All I really want, is to know that I was loved. In the time left to me, I want to immerse myself in it. I want to reflect on the bounty that has been provided me, in my lifetime, in terms of the love given and received. In such a moment, what else could matter? Where is the purpose in worry, remorse, regret? Certainly, some may have lived a life where these themes predominate. These are the ones that have saved awareness for their last moments. It is sad for them that they are left only with the shallow and superficial at the moment of truth, but that is them.

Having experienced a form of "death" without the added nuisance of actually dying, I choose to live my life differently. When my end does arrive, I will want nothing more than to know I was loved. I can measure this among the people that choose to share their lives with me. In a very literal sense, my concern does not extend beyond them.

Time is the most precious thing we possess. In my view, the way we spend it provides the measure of the man. So, the guest list at my funeral doesn't really say anything to me. My appointment book from the previous year, on the other hand, will mean everything to me. In it resides fresh memories of love and loving and of time spend in its pursuit. What more could there be?

Returning again to Tom, in my limited knowledge of the human body, I am generally aware that it is extraordinarily difficult, outside Israel, to snuff out life in an instant. In layman's terms, I also understand that most trauma associated with fatal injuries so overwhelm our capacity to sense pain that in a real sense, we don't even feel it.

Setting aside religious perspectives for the moment, it has long been my belief that the act of dying is so far removed from physical sensation that the only thing remaining is thought and time. In the time left to our increasingly oxygen deprived brains, I think we know what has happened, what is happening, and what it means. I think only the most shallow of us actually dwell on the moment. Once we know the truth of it, I believe we are left to ponder the things that were important to us in life.

Certainly, some choose to focus on what lies ahead. But we have a way of stretching time when we are experiencing an acute adrenaline response to stress (to me, death qualifies). In general, I think the dying person has plenty of time, most of the time, to consider everything that is important to them. It's in this interval, that I am confident Bob and Ex were well remembered. Who else offered so much kindness, generosity, and friendship late in Tom's life? You needn't have been the only ones. It's just that the number is always small, for all of us.

So I believe that your love and your friendship was well marked by Tom in his final moments. I struggle to accept that someone, for whom you would have such high regard, would squander any of his precious few remaining moments worrying for an instant who would be in attendance at his funeral. You may not have been at the funeral, but you were in his heart for as long as it mattered. What higher honor can be bestowed on a person?

My counsel then, is to reflect on the blessing of his friendship. Dwell on the gratitude you must feel, that you were able to do the things that you did for Tom at a time when we was able to appreciate them and know that he was loved. The acts of kindness, the acts of friendship you offered to me as examples of your relationship with Tom are the only things of import that any of us leave behind. With this currency, look at the wealth Tom has left with you. Look at how you used this currency to enrich his life. Look at how his nephew and most others who may have claimed to love him, lost the opportunity for enrichment and will be forever paupers by this measure.

> Anyway, thanks for the virtual shoulder to lean on. Next time you gaze up

> at the expansive Arizona sky, know that the energy of a good soul has been

> released to enhance the view. Try not to take too much for granted, Bro'.

> Look after yourself,

>

> Bob

I'll do those things, if you'll do these:

Take a moment to gaze into the CFC free California sky and know that the energy of a good soul, a knowing soul, is smiling down on you as we speak, with a kindness that reflects the fellowship offered him in life.

Take a deep breath and feel the goodness of Tom's memory wash away the burden in your heart.

Go get a good night's sleep and start tomorrow with a fresh perspective that lives untouched by the uncaring ignorance of those who save awareness for the moment of truth.

After having a gun stuck to my head while on a call and persuading him w/o force to put it away so i can come and do my job or shoot me and let his friend die,I've had some time to reflect on things such as this,a little. I told my SO to do 2 things if I go,1) Give my badge to my sister and 2) put one keg at each side of my pine box coffin. Funerals are for the living as far as I'm concerned and for those that show up to whatever service there is,those that knew me will understand and enjoy my passing. Knowing that "hopefully" I'll be on the good side of the other side and playing w/ some long lost friends,family and pets.As for those who show up to be seen,they won't understand and I don't care about them so "fuckem".

My last wish is to know all friends and family of mine know I've had a hell of a life and would do EVERYTHING all over if given the chance,Ive seen and done things nobody i know has or are too afraid to have done them. Plus,I know they'll all have a story to bring smiles to their faces and possibly tears,hopefully from laughter.If it happens tomorrow they all know I will face it with curiousity,not fear, it is a transition we will all make someday. I refuse to fear the inevitable,but getting close to it lets you know it's an either/or proposition.

Every life is precious on this planet that is why I do the job I do,I may say i hate people but its only the one's that let life get away from them and don't htink anybody but themselves exist.I've had to explain astronomy to many people in my life so that they knew the world doesn't revolve around them.

So, to end this long rant, you don't have to die doing what you love as long as you've loved what you have done.Nothing worse than dying w/ guilt or regret,or with a priest in a shady motel! :lol:

By the way,I saved his friend,and his "buddy" was arrested and found to have been the one that shot him in the first place. Turns out he felt bad after the fact and had a chance to save him. How many murders happen like that? No thought,just regret afterwards :erm:

Last edited by a moderator:
fjrchooser
IMO you have raised two questions that taken me more than a year to sort out to this point.

July 2004, I watched my sister die in a motorcycle accident. Simple left bending turn by a group of four bikes making moderate pace touring of a nice two lane, river canyon highway with a strip of gravel across the road from previous night’s rain. She had made like turns thousands of times [10 plus years of street & 5 years of dirt riding prior]. This day she skidded on the gravel, locked the rear brake and hit the guard rail and landed in a class 4/5 white water section of the river. Eight months later we recovered her remains from the river. Every weekend and many weekdays were spent walking in, on and around that river looking for her. So we [her husband of 25 years, my two other sisters, many friends and even many strangers] had time to consider these questions/issues. For what it is worth, here are my opinions:

Regarding those left behind besides ourselves, there are NO words that will reduce their loss. In the end we can only comfort their physical needs via our care and/or love. Simple but true; actions speak louder than words [meals, hand holding, phone calls, letters & cards, care giving, etc.]

Regarding ourselves [we too are left behind]; we must face our own mortality as best we can. Again this is an individual thing and each has to walk their path. My sister was strong of faith and saved in Jesus. I‘m conformed in knowing that she is with Him. For me, it has shaken my faith in God and goodness and peace. In my mind, I see her flying over her handle bars several times daily. And every time I mount my bike. So, life and recovery from loss seem to be a path. I still enjoy riding. Many times while riding I see in my mind remembrances of her and our good rides. Talking with those who ride and have seen some darkness in their lives has helped me on my path. I will get the ‘06’ FJR this year. And the Lord willing I will take the Alaska trip we planned for this year. Will it help? I think so. I pray so.

Peace you and yours!

Young
Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. What a difficult desicion it must have been to decide to continue to ride. I appreciate your adding your thoughts to this thread even though it might have been painful. You gave me food for thought.

Gosh, I have a hard time adding to the great reposnses, but here is mine.

I'm 53 years old, and have lived a "charmed" life. When I evaluate my life, how I treated others comes first. But high among my great life experiences are the fact that I roadraced motorcycles and even had some good success at it.

My work carreer has served me well, but I'm not passionate about it. I've had two wonderful wives, and I'm thankful for that. But I think everyone should have something in their life that they can point back to and say "I did something that not many people can do, and I did it well". That's what the motorcycle racing did for me.

For everyone, their "race" could be something different - it could be a successful carreer, being a great musician, artist - whatever. And many people who are highly driven by a career die of stress associated with their job. Other people who take on dangerous hobbies or careers live a long healthy life.

My point is, I could have died as a result of it, but living would not have been as meaningful for me if I didn't do it.

Ummmmmmmm, read my signature!!!!!!!!!! We are all cyber buds here kuz we all share at least one thing in common, welp, actually 2 things in common, 1-our love of riding bikes and 2-we all have chosen the feejer as our preferred steed of choice. I think fjrchoosers concern here isnt about us, kuz we all know and accept the risk, but is it worth it to your family should you meet your maker as a result of your chosen love of the sport. Kind of a selfish situation, I think, to die doing what we love so much just to leave behind a family and the hardships of having to deal w/the loss both emotionally, lovingly and financially. Welp, as I see it, financially is the easiest as we all have the opportunity to purchase life insurance, and I have plenty. Emotionally, if your family knows and is willing to accept your love of this sport and the risks associated w/it then I think they will eventually come to accept your fate w/time (time and $ helps heal all wounds). Emotionally, thats prolly the hardest, my wife calls me every morning at work to make sure I made it here safe. She called me already this morning! Again I guess and hope w/time family and friends come to grips w/what happened and eventually cope and accept. I don't think it would be any easier (on my family and friends) or different if I were to meet my untimly demise by way of a heart attack or a car wreck. The effect on your surviving family is still the same. Just make sure they have enough $.

By the way I have a special deal this week and this week only on life insurance :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, I dont sell any insurance.

1. 'i am sorry for your loss' is simple, true, and stays away from judgement;

2. do a service deed: cut their grass, shine their shoes before the service, bring food in disposable containers with disposable utensils, drive them places, quietly pick up the tab for something, just sit and listen to them.

in short: give them hope.

I echo the above response!

First, I've got to say that it's really nice to read a board that has this many people with such introspective and poignant thoughts. I've read each of these posts and spent most, if not all of that time nodding my head in agreement.

I was going to add my own thoughts to this thread but noted that nothing I had to say hasn't already been expressed - I would just be doing it in my own words. I did still want to note that it's refreshing to know there are people that really do seem to have a handle on what's important. At times it just seems that you read the news and only see the worst examples of our society. Constant exposure to such negative images, at times, becomes a bit depressing. It's good to come to this board and get "recalibrated" every once in a while by listening to a lot of positive-thinking people and seeing them express their support for a fallen comrade...

I first read this after the Columbia space shuttle went down. It was printed as an editorial in the newspaper here and the yellowed clipping hangs on my bulliten board. It strikes me as appropriate at times like these. I hope you will find it appropriate also.

"I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze

than it should be stifled by dry rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor,

every atom of me in magnificent glow,

than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time"

Jack London (1876 - 1916)

My last wish is to know all friends and family of mine know I've had a hell of a life and would do EVERYTHING all over if given the chance,Ive seen and done things nobody i know has or are too afraid to have done them. Plus,I know they'll all have a story to bring smiles to their faces and possibly tears,hopefully from laughter.If it happens tomorrow they all know I will face it with curiousity,not fear, it is a transition we will all make someday. I refuse to fear the inevitable,but getting close to it lets you know it's an either/or proposition.
  So, to end this long rant, you don't have to die doing what you love as long as you've loved what you have done.Nothing worse than dying w/ guilt or regret, 
+ 1 !!

Have not got much of anything to add to this thread as it has all been said.

Live your life to it's fullest my friends, we only have this one chance ------ I think?

And as for doing EVERYTHING all over. I guess I'd even have to marry my EX again ;) , cause without that I would not have the two great sons and five wonderful grandkids I have

Hearing about a death like this makes us focus on our mortality and those WE would leave behind. That's a good thing...it makes you want to experience love and life more fully. And makes us glad for Larry that he was enjoying life when his ended.

For the survivors' sake, it would be best not to comment at all on how[/u] he died, but comment about how this person affected your life. It seems that people prefer to say "celebrate the life of..." instead of "mourn the death of..." If you don't know the deceased, express sympathy to family and friends for their loss. That's the sad part, that he's gone and will be missed. And that is what's been expressed on this forum--what a great "community!"

Wow! All of you read my mind and soul and then wrote about it better than I could ever have expressed it myself.

I think I'll print out a copy of this thread and attach it to the back of my 'Last Will and Testament'.

I agree, when your number's up, your number's up.

Here's what I told my kids I want on my head stone: "Here lies our Dad, he spent his life waiting to turn left" (those damn left turn arrows)

I takes my risks and those that love me understand those very same risks may someday provide an unpleasant return...I don't take horribly undue risks (in my opinon) but there are those that think they are. I am an ICU nurse and have kept patients alive through unbelieveable illnesses, and have eased them on their way to a more comfortable existance when there was naught else to do. There are things "worse than death" and if I am to die while engaged in something I love and manage to avoid a long lingering demise, so be it

First line of my signature line says it well...

Do I love it? The best I can hope for is someday I will have taken my last ride and I will still be alive and the bike gone with some gained abilities and nice memories. I would never take any family member for a ride on my bike nor would I ever advise anyone to take up this sport. Any riding knowledge I have gained over the years is only for others who have picked this for themselfs. Have had a few real near misses over the years. When the bucket hits the bottom of the well the fun factor splash is still there. I take a couple of riding days off every time rider announcements like this are posted. The landscape is not the same without them. What kind of love is this that goes from bad to worse.

Why is it that the best party a man ever has is his own funeral? I'm raising a beer for those caught on the wayside. Way to live, man.....way to live.