Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howie that photo chop is hysterical, but it looks like the whale had Hitler shoved up it's ass since you didn't get rid on the one arm.

Howie that photo chop is hysterical, but it looks like the whale had Hitler shoved up it's ass since you didn't get rid on the one arm.
Just goes to show, working in a hurry and you miss stuff. :(
Since it is indeed FJR Forum dogpile Friday: Yeah, and if my other arm was up your ass - You probably wouldn't notice that either! Fecking Manatee Molester! jes' sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
OCfjr, I am due for a new front tire soon. I live in Fl and do about 80% highway and 20% curves. What front tire do you prefer for IB type riding? Currently I am using a 2CT on the front with the Exalto on the rear.
I've been running the PR2 also, and have about 16k on one now. It's toast, but not to cords. I'll probably order another one unless I read some awesome reports about the PR3.
Gentlemen,

The following are pictures of my PR3 showing some tread block wear after 1500+ miles. I installed it 2 saturdays ago. The tire handles as good as a new tire should. It tracks straight, only has a hint of a deceleration Yamawobble around 40mph, holds the curves well, and no surprises in the rain. My barn door of a Rifle +8 windshield is reflecting some tire noise back at me. It makes a noise similar to a 4x4 truck with mud tires, though not nearly so objectionable. You will notice there is no continuous rubber down the centerline of the tire, I believe that is where the noise is being generated. The old POS Metzler Roadtec tire was much noisier, I'm glad it's gone!

Air pressure is 42 front, 30 rear. PR3 front, Exalto rear. Stock suspension front and rear. Rebound damping turned near full stiff front & rear. I'm 6'6" at 210 lbs. Moderate load in both bags for my trip. Rain ride a good portion of the ride coming and going. Both tires self mounted & balanced - no Dyna Beads.

b4fabf23.jpg

796d3e91.jpg

bc15bcb2.jpg

01f04dbb.jpg

91ca229b.jpg

Interesting to note, my last bike had over 9K on the 019Grid at the point of impact. The front tire was a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (sport bike tire) that I got in Bend Oregon on the way back from WFO 8 in Moscow. The front tire still had plenty of life in it save for the massive rim pinch and the truck license plate numbers embedded in it.
angry.gif

We shall see how this new PR3 holds up with time.

Hope this helps.

smile.gif

Brodie
******** ummmmmmmmm it looks like a POS.... not worth the effort to install......

looks like they dropped the ball on this one!!

Just my 2 cents...........

OK, just came upon this thread as a newbie. Being a post Yamaha RSWarrior owner I've read the pros vs cons on this "darkside" BS on RSWarrior.com. All I can say is, "What a bunch of cheap bastards!" that would actually put a car tire on a sport bike. If you can't afford the real FJR/motorcycle tire, then don't buy the bike. I just hope no one finds themselves waking up in a ditch after you spun your rear tire through a corner. :angry2:

OK, just came upon this thread as a newbie. Being a post Yamaha RSWarrior owner I've read the pros vs cons on this "darkside" BS on RSWarrior.com. All I can say is, "What a bunch of cheap bastards!" that would actually put a car tire on a sport bike. If you can't afford the real FJR/motorcycle tire, then don't buy the bike. I just hope no one finds themselves waking up in a ditch after you spun your rear tire through a corner. :angry2:
Huh. If the battery dies, how you gonna start your bike without a kick-starter?

OH MY GOD! I'M GONNA DIE A FLAMING PLASTIC AND ALUMINUM DEATH!

Thanks for the warning, Raven! I'm gonna go pull that damn heathen tire off RIGHT NOW!!! Your wisdom and eloquence has forced me to see the light!

OH MY GOD! I'M GONNA DIE A FLAMING PLASTIC AND ALUMINUM DEATH!

Thanks for the warning, Raven! I'm gonna go pull that damn heathen tire off RIGHT NOW!!! Your wisdom and eloquence has forced me to see the light!
See that, even you can learn sumptin from the guy with 5 posts.Now at least your front brake pads will last! :p

All I can say is, "What a bunch of cheap bastards!" that would actually put a car tire on a sport bike. If you can't afford the real FJR/motorcycle tire, then don't buy the bike.
You get to have an opinion just like anyone else 09Raven. We sort of like informed opinions better than judgemental ravings from someone new to the forum that hasn't even read all of the thread, or enough to realize the goals of this experiment. Cheap? You bet. Of course, some of my week long rides exceed the life of any other available motorcycle tire, so there's some functional issues in play here too. ;)

BTW, if you think the FJR is a sport bike, you are sadly mistaken. A GSXR is a sport bike. This pig will dance, but she's no sport bike.

This just has to be a troll since he really can't be serious. But maybe he has evaluated all the various car tires and found none of them work and significantly dangerous. Hmmm, I must disagree though, but heck I've only tried one (Exalto A/S), do guess my opinion counts less than Mr. Five Posts.

doctorj

And I suppose that you HAVE ZERO CLUE that some of us ride the FJR for reasons other than to push through the curves. Why don't you take a look at how the FJR dominates the Iron Butt rides and rallies. Since those rides usually involve LOTS of long straight miles, maybe there is an advantage of using a car tire. Oh, I forgot that you have been here for not even 10 posts and already know it all. :angry: :asshat2: :fuk:

I was going to add my two cents worth in response to our visiting birdbrain oops, Raven, but you guys have done a fine job of lambasting our rookie visitor. Keep up the bad attitude, the great posts, and long live the forum. By the way, just passed 1500 miles on the Exalto and all's well on the dark side. New front tire mounted at the same time is wearing normally. Let's pray that the weather man gets in a better mood soon so all you Yankees up north can get out for some fresh FJR air real soon.

Ride safe.

Gary

darksider #44

If you read his post you would have seen he was coming from a Warrior, so to him the FJR is a sportsbike. :rolleyes: Being a cruiser rider I am certain he has a great deal of knowledge about tires and their effects on riding, but I have to wonder if his tires ever got up to temp on those "long" rides that most, not all, cruiser riders do. My guess is he has his opinion based on rumor without anything as proof. But it does add some spice to the thread for a page or two. Hell, if he responds, he may even get up to double digit posts. :clapping:

Ooooooo, you guys are super scary. In fact, I am a senior member of RSwarrior.com with well over 1600 posts since 2007. The "dark-side" is nothing new to me. We've discussed it several times on that site. I bought the FJR because I know that it is a superior motorcycle over the Warrior and most other bikes for my needs. My take on going to the darkside continues to be the prior mentioned. Just because this is my first FJR, doesn't mean that I don't have experience as this is my 6th motorcycle over 20+ years of riding. some of you people may scoff at my opinion but I hate to tell you, most people who ride motorcycles actually prefer motorcycle tires over car tires on a motorcycle.

Congrats to me, I've now obtained "6" posts. I must be in the running for "Senior Member" now! :yahoo:

Ooooooo, you guys are super scary. In fact, I am a senior member of RSwarrior.com with well over 1600 posts since 2007. The "dark-side" is nothing new to me. We've discussed it several times on that site. I bought the FJR because I know that it is a superior motorcycle over the Warrior and most other bikes for my needs. My take on going to the darkside continues to be the prior mentioned. Just because this is my first FJR, doesn't mean that I don't have experience as this is my 6th motorcycle over 20+ years of riding. some of you people may scoff at my opinion but I hate to tell you, most people who ride motorcycles actually prefer motorcycle tires over car tires on a motorcycle.

Congrats to me, I've now obtained "6" posts. I must be in the running for "Senior Member" now! :yahoo:
Good to have you aboard.

Wow! You've really owned 6 motorcycles in your lifetime!!!! That's amazing! 1600 posts on the internet! Oh my gosh, we are SO blessed to have you share your wisdom with us rookies on our sportbikes! Tell us more Mr. Raven!

We sort of like informed opinions better than judgemental ravings from someone new to the forum that hasn't even read all of the thread, or enough to realize the goals of this experiment.
Speak for yourself. I'll take un-informed sanity over informed insanity any day. :****:

This just has to be a troll since he really can't be serious.
Troll? Nah. 'Enlightened' comes to mind.

I don't know. New guy seems like a fart smeller, errr, I mean smart feller to me. You darksiders need to remember that that MOST around here wouldn't drink the kool-aid at Jonestown nor try to catch a ride on Hailey's comet.

Too-da-loo! :p

nor try to catch a ride on Hailey's comet.
Skooter,

Did you know it is exactly 14 years and 1 day since the discovery of the Heaven's Gate cult mass suicides:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

which resulted in 39 deaths.

This is in contrast to the FJR Darksider's who have many hundred thousand miles of safe riding on record with no accidents, injuries, or even tip overs attributed to our choice in tires.

Wish you had taken mine for a spin at White Stag...

Hopefully next time you will :clapping:

PS-It was the Hale-Bopp comet, not Hailey's :p

5,000 miles on the Michelin Exalto at his point. Completely trouble free and at this point I have 100% confidence in pretty much all conditions. I can easily lean far enough to drag pegs, have had time in the rain at speed with no issues. I've settled on 32 psi for the Exalto and run a Michelin PR2 up front. The NICEST part of this, 5k miles and I'm even THINKING about ordering a tire or figuring out WHEN I'm going to change it. NICE!