Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about 25000 miles. You know what they say, "If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is..." I'll be waiting for the forum's input on this one. But even if these new tires get this kind of mileage (I'm feeling a little pessimistic), I'm still a darksider. That 4k trip I took this summer up through the mountains taught me a few things. 600 miles of rain, all kinds of grass and dirt on the curves, and one huge drywall screw taught me that there's no substitute for an Exalto for my bike. You can even drive on it when it's flat (though I don't recommend it, of course). It's got 7k miles on it now, and though it's got a plug and I'm sure it has some wear, it looks and runs just fine... and beyond all that, I just LOVE the way it looks. And who can complain about all the people I've met along the way who stopped to ask about it???
I am and plan to remain:

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after much reading and several PM's to Eric, Ive pulled the trigger and ordered an exalto.......bought a stainless replacement for the brake part and will be drilling that out tonight or tomorrow. I'm hopeful the tire will be here by Friday. My local MC shop has no issue mounting it up for me. Will post up when I get to ride the beotch!

Other than the fact that I wish God had given me 2 extra hands, I finally put my new Exalto on! SOB I have no idea what the hell I was doing wrong but took me nearly an hour to put the phuker on.....not much room to move around when putting the caliper back on.

I decided to make a new arm for the brake and picked up some stainless bar stock which worked like a charm. Luckily I had remembered to put a block of wood under the center stand or I'm certain I wouldnt have been able to complete the job (thank you Forum Peeps). Everything else went pretty smoothly with the install.

So......do I like it?? Absolutely! As all of you had already noticed the 1st 10 miles felt different......it wants to track straight compared the the MT but was able to compensate with little effort. The one thing I noticed is that my right hand turns seemed to be more difficult but I finally figured it out. The geometry of my steering had changed due to my throttle rocker being to far from the end and it was canted up more that it should have been. I lowered that and moved it out towards the end and all was well. I notice at low speeds (parking lot speeds) it was a little squirrley but again, I adjusted to that with ease. I travel about 5 miles on a dirt road every day and I noticed that other than the tracking issue at first, I felt more secure. Some folks have said they noticed a slight hp issue but I cant say that I did. Cornering was a breeze but I did notice you have to push a little harder transitioning from a left to a right etc. but after the 1st 20 miles that too was hardly noticed. All in all I'm very satisified and I dont think I'll have a hard time keeping up with CJ when he and I tackle the BRP and Dragon in October. :yahoo:

Eric thanks for taking the time and answering my PM questions. Now I feel an overwhelming desire to get a stuffed sheep!

Aroostook

Good grief, where'd that handle come from? Anyway, I don't know what your dirt is like in Maine, but around here, dirt roads are white powder sand. I'm glad that on the dirt, the Exalto make short work of putting the power down compared to a MT. I'll never forget the day my GPS sent me down some lonely two track dirt road (if you could call it a road). I was on vacation, miles from anywhere, and learned first hand that the Exalto has excellent traction when the going gets rough or deep or steep or wet.j

Gary

darksider #44

Howie, It was clear to me at NERDS that Dolly only had eyes for Busta, so I think you're just trying to stir the pot! :lol:

Gary,my dirt road is so bad that this year in late May I had to pay the Yammi dealer to come pick up the bike just to bring it to the tar road. CJ and I were planning on an IB ride and I couldnt make the first 5 fn miles! :eek: The big test will be this spring!

Darksider # ????? :yahoo:

hmmmmm I see someone didnt like one of my previous posts??? Was that you Howie?? :p

[snip]

Eric thanks for taking the time and answering my PM questions. Now I feel an overwhelming desire to stuff a sheep!
Dolly's # is (989)723-9517. Tell her 'Howie recommended her. :p :yahoo:
Thank you Steve-O, Chuy just put that 989 number into his speed dial!

Just so everyone knows, I got the number from superpages.com. I'm not revealing any "privileged" information.

Just searched "Sheep Fecker" and the # popped right up!

Just so everyone knows, I got the number from superpages.com. I'm not revealing any "privileged" information.

Just searched "Sheep Fecker" and the # popped right up!
:lol:
What a coincidence, you type Barry C. of Owosso, Michigan on superpages.com and "Sheep Fecker" with the same exact # pops right up! Small World, eh!

The rules are that you must post a pic of your bike with the CT on to get a DS number. I've waived that on rare occasions, but if you have problems posting a pic, PM me with it or with your problem and I'll give you a hand.

Glad you got things figured out and are happy with the results so far. :thumbsup:

Leave the :sheep: to Bust.

Aroostook

Good grief, where'd that handle come from?
Aroostook County, Maine. Means "Beautiful River" in some American Indian language. Sounds sort of odd if you were to turn to some guy in a bar and say "Yo, Beautuful River, you need another beer?" :lol:

Kinda like the mexican place I ate at the other day. Casa Maria Rose sounds quiant and pleasant, but if I told my SO I was headed over to the House of Mary Rose, she'd probably think I was going to one of the Nevada "Ranches" for more than just food! :p

The rules are that you must post a pic of your bike with the CT on to get a DS number. I've waived that on rare occasions, but if you have problems posting a pic, PM me with it or with your problem and I'll give you a hand.

Glad you got things figured out and are happy with the results so far. :thumbsup:

Leave the :sheep: to Bust.
Darkside007.jpg

Darkside008.jpg

Thanks Eric!

Welcome to the darkside aroostook, you are Darksider # 49. That was slated for FredW, but he's still pending.

How do we know that is Aroostook's bike? That could be any FJR...This whole darksider thing is pretty easy to defraud. Yet another frigging datapoint!