Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darkside Specious Argument #1:

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much.
Darkside Pointless Comparison #37:

My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is).
"I've got knobbies on my Jet Ski, and it doesn't do whoops and berms worth a damn....therefore, knobbies are no good for MY dirtbike."

See the comparison???

The world won't come to an end if no one else ever puts a car tire on their Feej. Us Darksiders will just continue to ride and ride, racking up miles and miles on the slab AND in the twisties, smiling quietly to ourselves when someone comments "I really wish someone would come out with a really long distance tire."

22,000 miles now on my "looking-like-new" Michelin Pilot A/S Plus.

I gotta admit, though...the rear end DOES feel a little squirmy at 135+ mph. :D

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is).
Did you not read my post a few above your own?

Looks can be deceiving.

From my post:

Biggest shock to me was ripping up tight twisties (20-30mph corners) and scraping pegs easier and more confidently that with a moto tire!

Biggest shock to me was ripping up tight twisties (20-30mph corners) and scraping pegs easier and more confidently that with a moto tire!
Yeah,

But what the heck to you know about riding an FJR with a Car Tire:

GregGerlachCarTire.jpg

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is).
Did you not read my post a few above your own?

Looks can be deceiving.

From my post:

LMAO!!! Yes, I just figured I could stir the pot and get you Darksiders all riled up! :yahoo: You guys are very passionate about defending the darkside. :lol:

LMAO!!! Yes, I just figured I could stir the pot and get you Darksiders all riled up! :yahoo: You guys are very passionate about defending the darkside. :lol:
Ha! Not as passionate as I am about insulting the retards that put a freaking car tire on their motorcycle!

And repeating what has been stated before about contact patch: sure, the car tire lifts part of the tread when leaned over hard, but it leaves as much (or more) on the road as the moto tire would have had in the first place.

I would further submit that you actually get a bit more lean angle out of it, since the edge of the tread is further from the hub than the moto tread would be. Whether it's enough to make a real difference I couldn't say, what with living in Florida and all.

I would further submit that you actually get a bit more lean angle out of it, since the edge of the tread is further from the hub than the moto tread would be. Whether it's enough to make a real difference
Yo DO get more lean angle with the car tire than a moto-tire. Which makes my scraping pegs all the more incredible. I am not a big peg-scraper with a moto tire (and my custom suspension which raises the rear end also), so if I am confidently and comfortably scraping pegs with the care tire (on occasion), well that is saying something!

After riding with Big D a few more times and seeing his car tire in the corners, I think I'm convinced to at least try it. I will be using my FJR for mostly slab running commuting since diesel fuel is so damn expensive compared to the "cheap" unleaded. Heh.

I was just thinking about the concept that a CT "lifts" one side as it banks over in the corners. This seems to get some... all riled up. Did it ever occur to ANYBODY that a MT "lifts" one side as it banks over in the corners in the same exact way? Why is it so unusual that ONLY one side of a tire contacts the road while cornering... and as the bike leans to one side, the other rises a little farther from the road surface? Good grief. ALL tires do this, it's what's ON THE ROAD that counts.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
But a MT doesn't reduce the width of rubber on the road, and that's what confuses them. A CT does reduce the width of the contact patch, down to about what the MT would have had in the first place. Thus the predictions of flaming screaming death, since MTs are so dangerous and now the CT is emulating it. :huh: :lol:

And yet, crashed I have not, nor burned. And dangly doo-dads remain attached (for all the good they're doing me . . .)

But a MT doesn't reduce the width of rubber on the road, and that's what confuses them. A CT does reduce the width of the contact patch, down to about what the MT would have had in the first place.
Hey Woof, good to hear from ya. Theoretically, you're right about a consistent contact patch on a BT as it goes from upright to say, a full right tilt. However, that changes a good deal when there's a huge flat across the center of the MT tire. Not to detract from what you said, as you were certainly right, but consider Floridave's post below and his picture of the profile comparison between his worn BT and his new CT.

Tireprofile.png

Notice the profiles don't look as different as one might think... the Exalto has a rather rounded profile compared to many other CT's. If I can get off subject here: one major difference - the Exalto sidewall flexes a great deal more than a MT when it's heeled over, which as we all know, results in a huge footprint under normal cornering speeds and pressures.

Gary

darksider #44

Well, if you're gonna compare it to a worn Florida MT, then sure, they both have a nearly flat profile! :p

The other night I musta been drunk or something and suddenly I had this thought: You idiots are putting a CAR tire on a MOTORCYCLE. If there was no difference, they would just be called tires, not specifically car or motorcycle.

With that thought in mind, it came to me that people that tempt the Gods with this abomonation should refer to their machine as an FJcaR...The rest of us ride an FJR. (told you I was probably drunk)

Dorks! :p

Sometimes too much thinkin can be as bad as too much drinkin.

Too much to drink: yer drunk.

Too much to think: yer thunk.

In the future we'll thank you not to get too thunked up :rolleyes:

Gary

darksider #44

"You?? Drunk???

Your shitting me"

Barry, there is no way in Hell that HotRodZilla would ever shit you! Trust us, you are HRZ's favorite Turd!

"Sometimes too much thinkin can be as bad as too much drinkin.

Too much to drink: yer drunk.

Too much to think: yer thunk.

In the future we'll thank you not to get too thunked up"

Gary, you can fully trust us that HotRodZilla has never been found guilty of too much thinking! That will not happen!

HUGE Thanks to OCfjr for this thread and that section you created that pretty much summarizes this thread. I'll be picking up my Mich. Pilot Sport A/S Plus on Monday after work. I have to confess to being a convert. When I first started reading this thread I thought "what a bunch of whack jobs". But the more I read about it (mistake #1), the more it began to make sense (mistake #2).

So having checked into it a bit more and with the thought of a big week of riding (9K+) coming up this summer, I decided to pull the trigger. I think I'll wait till Tech Day in May to put it on, that way I'll either have ten guys around helping, or laughing their asses off, while I try to spoon it on.

Anyways, kinda excited to give it a go.

Again, Thnx OCfjr.

Mike