Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother Walt, since it is indeed dog pile Friday, I do have to ask: Is your middle name "Goober" or "Bubba" and are you married to your first cousin? I'm just wondering!
Goober: No

Bubba: No

Cousinal knowledge: Absolutely no

Bring it on! I defend to the death my non-redneck status! (Although I have enjoyed the occasional set of firecrackers, I've never used them on school property.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brother Walt, since it is indeed dog pile Friday, I do have to ask: Is your middle name "Goober" or "Bubba" and are you married to your first cousin? I'm just wondering!

Bring it on! I defend to the death my non-redneck status! (Although I have enjoyed the occasional set of firecrackers, I've never used them on school property.)
Thanks very much, Brother wfooshee! This clears this matter up beyond any shadow of a doubt: Walt did not immigrate to Florida from Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas!

Are there any web sites that provide CT size and the "optimum" tire pressure recommendations for each bike? Riding a cruiser these days and replacing the rear tire every 7K miles to 9K miles is getting old, fast.

Thanks in advance...
Try HERE

Thanks very much, Brother wfooshee! This clears this matter up beyond any shadow of a doubt: Walt did not immigrate to Florida from Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas!
Well, see, actually . . . . I am from Oklahoma. A long time ago. But Dad's company moved us overseas for 3 years when I was 7, and we lived in Baltimore for a year after that, and I've been Floridian ever since Baltimore. So while I'm not a redneck, I had the odds stacked against me.

On a separate note, anybody around here buy the Carmine's Custom brake arm from Farklemasters.com? If so, you got a photo of it?

I modified mine this way.......Got the idea from Brodie. Figure if you mounted it to the outside you'd need to grind it a bit anyways....this stays in the stock location and has more than enough meat on it. Zero clearance issues over 35K.
When I saw yours, I liked it so much I ended up with a nearly identical copy! That test ride convinced me to get the Exalto. Works great, not looking back.

There hasn't been a Darkside post since Dec.09!! Time for one for the New Year.

I have been pretty pleased with my Exalto and have a few thousand miles on it. The main reason for wanting to try the car tire is for a major trip I want to do in the early summer. Planning to go to NAFO, taking the very LONG way. So far, I am figuring something on the order of 14,000 miles. (Still early in the planniung stages.) I know that the car tire will be good for the distance but I am wondering what the odds are of finding a front tire that will last. The best I have managed from a PR2 is something around 11,000 miles or a bit less; and that wasn't pretty. I am willing to put up with SLIGHTLY poorer performance as a trade-off for longevity but would prefer it if I could manage it without a mid-trip tire change. Maybe I should suck it up and find someone in the Pacific Northwest or British Columbia who could help me out. Already planning an oil change (possibly two) at a convenient Wal-mart parking lot (been there, done that; no tee shirt). Expect half the distance (and about a quarter of the time) will be on the slab.

Any ideas? Metzeler ME 880 is supposed to last pretty well but I don't think I have heard of anyone who has really liked them on the front of an FJR. Do the PR3's have any better life than the PR2's? Not going to break new ground trying a car tire on the front!

Glad this thread is already in NEPRT - saves the mods from moving it.

Ross

PS Anyone want to do a BIG ride? Will be posting some details (and looking for suggestions) once I have plans a little more fleshed out. Time is limited to 28 days.

There hasn't been a Darkside post since Dec.09!! Time for one for the New Year.

I have been pretty pleased with my Exalto and have a few thousand miles on it. The main reason for wanting to try the car tire is for a major trip I want to do in the early summer. Planning to go to NAFO, taking the very LONG way. So far, I am figuring something on the order of 14,000 miles. (Still early in the planniung stages.) I know that the car tire will be good for the distance but I am wondering what the odds are of finding a front tire that will last. The best I have managed from a PR2 is something around 11,000 miles or a bit less; and that wasn't pretty. I am willing to put up with SLIGHTLY poorer performance as a trade-off for longevity but would prefer it if I could manage it without a mid-trip tire change. Maybe I should suck it up and find someone in the Pacific Northwest or British Columbia who could help me out. Already planning an oil change (possibly two) at a convenient Wal-mart parking lot (been there, done that; no tee shirt). Expect half the distance (and about a quarter of the time) will be on the slab.

Any ideas? Metzeler ME 880 is supposed to last pretty well but I don't think I have heard of anyone who has really liked them on the front of an FJR. Do the PR3's have any better life than the PR2's? Not going to break new ground trying a car tire on the front!

Glad this thread is already in NEPRT - saves the mods from moving it.

Ross

PS Anyone want to do a BIG ride? Will be posting some details (and looking for suggestions) once I have plans a little more fleshed out. Time is limited to 28 days.
George, Escapefjrtist and Auburnfjr both have tire changers in western Washington and Wingshot has a tire changer here in central Washington and they all are really helpful guys. I'm sure anyone of them will be glad to hook a guy up.

Thought I'd add my thought on new year too. I've got the Exalto on my FJR with about 7000 mi. on it and can't tell it from when new. I also have a Hankook CT on my ST1300. It still looks new too. Pressures I run are just a bit different with each of these bikes but I have almost completely forgotten I've got a car tire on these bikes when I ride now. I do have MC tires front and back on my Super Tenere and will be changing the rear with about 8000-8500 mi. on it. Sheesh compared to the car tire shod bikes this seems like a rip off--oh well.

doctorj

10k update

Thought I'd post something I've noticed lately. It's been about a year since I darksided my 05. I've noticed what seems to be a change in the "behavior" of my Exalto. It seems now that it's well broken in, it's become a little more forgiving than it was when it was new. What I mean by that: the sidewalls seem to be a little more flexible than they once were. This is a good thing. I honestly can't tell that it's back there out on the highway, but the area where I can really notice the difference is at slow speeds. For example, I have to pull about a foot off the side of the road into the dirt when stopping by the mailbox. Getting back on the road involves merging back up a 2 inch ridge onto the blacktop. When the tire was new, this was tricky as the CT would cause the bike to lurch away from the ridge and back toward the dirt (at walking speeds). 10k miles later, there seems to be quite a difference as the sidewall of the Exalto just seems to swallow up the difference and there's been a noticeable change. Greatly reduced lurching. What's cool about this: it was the only complaint I could muster about the tire; and it was only an issue when it was brand-new. As a matter of fact, that's about the only complaint anybody seems to have made about it...

Seems like my Exalto has a lot in common with many of you guys: IT GETS BETTER WITH AGE.

I can't speak for other CT brands, but concerning the Exalto, has anybody else noticed this?

Gary

darksider #44

Agree, Gary. I bought my Exalto used, it had a couple of thousand on it from a car, so the sidewalls were already softened up a bit. It just keeps on getting better and the lack of noticeable wear is amazing, this thing's gonna last a long time, and I'd put another on in a heartbeat.

I have noticed the same thing with my Exalto. I thought it was me getting more and more used to it. But you are right, the tire does get better with age and miles on it. I am close to 10K on mine and the only down side I can think of is that these CT's last so long that they become discontinued before they wear out. Then it is research time for another suitable replacement. My Yokohama lasted 26,000 miles. I fully expect to get over 30 K on the Exalto with the way it has been wearing or should I say not wearing.

I'm not so sure the tire is changing so much as we the rider adapt to it's characteristics.......

Tough to figure out which one it is.

So, Greg, you still OKAY with Darksiding???
Yup. Meant to do a big write-up and never got around to it. Had to do the 'Ying' to Fred W's 'Yang' post. Maybe someday.........

Put 9,000 miles on the Exalto and took it off. But only because I already have 3 sets of Moto-tires on hand and figured I needed to start burning those up. That Exalto was going to be on there forever! Now remember I have two sets of wheels, so the Exalto is still mounted to my spare rear wheel and will be back on sooner than later. In fact maybe, just maybe, for a trip to Florida in March where all you flatlanders will be buying me food and drink! I recently bought two front only tires for future Exalto use.

I like the car tire. Biggest shock to me was ripping up tight twisties (20-30mph corners) and scraping pegs easier and more confidently that with a moto tire! Biggest disadvantage for me was the car tire made my FJR speed limited to 130mph just like the French de-tuned ones. At 130mph, the FJR would start a nasty weave that would just get worse as it went faster. Not a huge deal as I don't go that fast very often, but psychologically it sucks knowing I now have a 'slow' FJR. How am I supposed to outrun the coppers? :lol:

Oh, and the car tire makes me feel retarded!

In fact that's my standard response:

Un-suspecting observer: "What the heck, is that a car tire on there?"

Me: Yep.

Them: Why did you do that?

Me: Because I am retarded.

:)

Last summer in S Dakota, I had a chance to open the bike and went a bit past 130. It started a wobble that really spooked me, I attributed it to the conditions and the heavy camping load on the bike. Until just reading Skooters comment, I didn't even consider the tire, but it makes sense. Hmmmmm. Oh well, just gotta be more sensible.

Biggest disadvantage for me was the car tire made my FJR speed limited to 130mph just like the French de-tuned ones.
So I guess/hope you are going to be using one of your old moto tires for the Alamo Express. I would hate to see you get passed by someone on a Goldwing.
Exactly! As much as I would like to use the Exalto for that, if I am going to be doing an 1800+ BBG, a moto tire will be on there! It is Nevada afterall.

Here is a over the top darksider "Does this tire make my butt look fat?"

424780_299982063384673_100001186460697_798524_258883145_n.jpg

Here is a over the top darksider "Does this tire make my butt look fat?"
I was wondering how that skinny little thing was able to hold up that beast... then I noticed that the kickstand is down.

OH yeah, Skoot, you were saying that your CT makes you feel retarded. Hate to say it, but it's not the TIRE, Skoot... hey, notice the young lady in the picture above? I didn't hear anybody saying that the CT makes her look retarded...

Running for cover--

Gary

darksider #44

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is). BUT that being said I really wish someone would come out with a really long distance tire. I have a Pirelli Angel St on the back right now. It's the second one. One the first one I was at a little over 5000 miles and it still looked new but I got a nasty bit of metal in it so had to replace it. I put a new one on but only got 400 miles on it before I prepped the bike for storage while I'm in the desert.