Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HUGE Thanks to OCfjr for this thread and that section you created that pretty much summarizes this thread. I'll be picking up my Mich. Pilot Sport A/S Plus on Monday after work. I have to confess to being a convert. When I first started reading this thread I thought "what a bunch of whack jobs". But the more I read about it (mistake #1), the more it began to make sense (mistake #2).

So having checked into it a bit more and with the thought of a big week of riding (9K+) coming up this summer, I decided to pull the trigger. I think I'll wait till Tech Day in May to put it on, that way I'll either have ten guys around helping, or laughing their asses off, while I try to spoon it on.

Anyways, kinda excited to give it a go.

Again, Thnx OCfjr.

Mike

You gotta let me ride it Mike. I will do a wheelie as well to test out the straight-line grip it has :p

Good gawd, I've never seen a thread this long about a CT on a FJR. :blink: or on any bike for that matter.

I've been away too long.

This idea seemed cool on a GW Lead Sled but on The Sport Tourer?

I think I'll go back and start from the beginning but I'm almost already convinced. :eek:

HUGE Thanks to OCfjr for this thread and that section you created that pretty much summarizes this thread. I'll be picking up my Mich. Pilot Sport A/S Plus on Monday after work. I have to confess to being a convert. When I first started reading this thread I thought "what a bunch of whack jobs". But the more I read about it (mistake #1), the more it began to make sense (mistake #2).

So having checked into it a bit more and with the thought of a big week of riding (9K+) coming up this summer, I decided to pull the trigger. I think I'll wait till Tech Day in May to put it on, that way I'll either have ten guys around helping, or laughing their asses off, while I try to spoon it on.

Anyways, kinda excited to give it a go.

Again, Thnx OCfjr.

Mike

You gotta let me ride it Mike. I will do a wheelie as well to test out the straight-line grip it has :p

Matt, you'll be welcome to give it a try, but that "wheelie" won't do you any good. I've tried and I can tell you, my bike can't do wheelies. ;)

This thread exists to share information and opinions. As has always been said, it's not for everyone. It is, however, a viable alternative for those that need/want the option. The FAX documents a lot, but this thread gives you the full range of positive and negative views and experiences.

My hope is that it will continue to give data to the Darksiders and allow others to read and decide for themselves if they want to try it. We have converted some of the most stalwart anti-car tire FJR riders to the point where they have a CT on at least a spare wheel, knowing the next long trip will have a tire that can do the job w/o having to pull a half worn tire off. The CT is far less different than it is similar to a moto tire, both in feel and in handling, but it is different. And different tires can make a huge difference. For the first timer, it's better to go with a known tire than step out on your own. After you're used to it, at 20-40k, you'll be far better able to judge a different tire than has been tried before.

I'm glad you found it helpful Mike. And trust me, your bike will wheelie just fine with the right technique. ;) Be careful what you offer.

@KIEFFER - Keep an open mind and you might be surprised. The tires take a bit to break in, and the riders take a bit to grow accustomed to the new characteristics, but it's just not that different.

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is).
Did you not read my post a few above your own?

Looks can be deceiving.

From my post:

Biggest shock to me was ripping up tight twisties (20-30mph corners) and scraping pegs easier and more confidently that with a moto tire!
Greg- I'm finally getting around to mounting up that Exalto on my spare wheel. I'm doing the MTF 100ccc this month. I've got a half-worn PR2 on each of my two rear wheels and I don't want to deal with a new tire mid-ride. Looks like my best option is the Exalto for that ride. Besides many miles of super-slab, the fact that Warchild won't be around makes this an ideal venue for the CT I think.

Alex

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is).
Did you not read my post a few above your own?

Looks can be deceiving.

From my post:

Biggest shock to me was ripping up tight twisties (20-30mph corners) and scraping pegs easier and more confidently that with a moto tire!
Greg- I'm finally getting around to mounting up that Exalto on my spare wheel. I'm doing the MTF 100ccc this month. I've got a half-worn PR2 on each of my two rear wheels and I don't want to deal with a new tire mid-ride. Looks like my best option is the Exalto for that ride. Besides many miles of super-slab, the fact that Warchild won't be around makes this an ideal venue for the CT I think.

Alex

Though I respect you guys for going to the Dark side I don't ever see myself doing it. I like the twisties too much. My Captain has a car tire on his Boss Hog and I've ridden behind him and could see how little contact he has while leaned over (and he can't lean that far as it is). BUT that being said I really wish someone would come out with a really long distance tire. I have a Pirelli Angel St on the back right now. It's the second one. One the first one I was at a little over 5000 miles and it still looked new but I got a nasty bit of metal in it so had to replace it. I put a new one on but only got 400 miles on it before I prepped the bike for storage while I'm in the desert.

I can do the twisties just as fast as I used to before I went darkside. A plus is that tar snakes are less of a bother

This is the second time this thread has forced me to ask...WHAT THE ****?? I swear.
AJ, you know Greg and Papa well enough by now to know we live to give each other crap; makes our day, to shit shoot the other one. When we swapped bikes east of Prescott I fully expected to be able to bust his balls when we reached Cordes Junction west of Interstate 17, saying something rotten about his CT FJR: But I couldn't come up with a single negative, I really couldn't find one.

Pissed me off! But I'm not kidding when I say how little difference running a car tire on an FJR makes in real world riding; it just doesn't make a squat and it gives you three times the rear tire life.

Can you give us an AMEN brother

This is the second time this thread has forced me to ask...WHAT THE ****?? I swear.
AJ, you know Greg and Papa well enough by now to know we live to give each other crap; makes our day, to shit shoot the other one. When we swapped bikes east of Prescott I fully expected to be able to bust his balls when we reached Cordes Junction west of Interstate 17, saying something rotten about his CT FJR: But I couldn't come up with a single negative, I really couldn't find one.

Pissed me off! But I'm not kidding when I say how little difference running a car tire on an FJR makes in real world riding; it just doesn't make a squat and it gives you three times the rear tire life.

Can you give us an AMEN brother
Spook, I'll give you an AMEN! But I have to tell you, it really creeps me out and gives me the Heebie-Jeebies being in a club with RadioHowie, Big-D and Bustanut joker!

Last edited by a moderator:
How MUCH are you creeped out, Don???

zombie_tire.png

I'm plenty happy with my Dunlop, and I don't plan on un-darksiding unless I move to West Virginia or someplace like that.

So there are other tires that work. :p
Ive got to say that I am so far very happy with my Toyo and Just a 100 dollars delivered.

what survey?
Page 1 has the survey. About 2800+ posts ago. When surveys are added, they always show up on page one. Get thee hither.
Eric,

Maybe I'm just blind or sumpin', but I don't see no steenkin' survey on Page 1.

???????????
Damn it RadioHowie, I have warned you for years that your intense jacking off was going to cause you to go blind: It has finally happened! You Master Baiter!

After reading these (and other) posts about the Dark Side, I'm willing to pull the trigger. I've got the Brake Arm, and I'm getting the tire. What I need is to find a place in central Pennsylvania that will change out the tire for me. Suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.