Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Crap Batman !!! I'm reading Dark Side posts .. I'm liking what I'm seeing but 1 just bought new RP3's and 2nd Yodda is looking at ME ..
Dude, this is the FJR forum. Put em in the classified section and sell em. There's ALWAYS plenty of guys looking for a deal on tires. I know more than one darksider has done just that. So ya lose a couple bucks up front. The CT will SAVE you far more than you lose.... just by putting it on the bike. The sooner the better.

Gary

darksider #44

<major snip> ...the Exalto has a rather rounded profile compared to many other CT's. If I can get off subject here: one major difference - the Exalto sidewall flexes a great deal more than a MT when it's heeled over, which as we all know, results in a huge footprint under normal cornering speeds and pressures.

Gary

darksider #44
Would anyone agree that chart should exist that shows the tire brand and air pressure being used in each type of CT? I am especially interested in the Exalto. Anyone using the Exalto who could share the tire pressure they're running in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
<major snip> ...the Exalto has a rather rounded profile compared to many other CT's. If I can get off subject here: one major difference - the Exalto sidewall flexes a great deal more than a MT when it's heeled over, which as we all know, results in a huge footprint under normal cornering speeds and pressures.

Gary

darksider #44
Would anyone agree that chart should exist that shows the tire brand and air pressure being used in each type of CT? I am especially interested in the Exalto. Anyone using the Exalto who could share the tire pressure they're running in it?
A little searching says 30 is a good pressure to try...

Somewhere back in this thread, one fella was checking his tire with a temperature meter. If I recall, he found that everything was working well with pressures in the low 30's. Anybody know where that post was? Floridave had recommended 31 about a year ago if I remember correctly, (can't trust my memory these days)... and I've been running 31-32 since mine was new. It's very happy at that pressure. Remember this is a normal pressure for a car tire. If anything, I'm guessing that due to the fact that the Exalto carries significantly less weight (on an FJR) than it was designed to carry, a lower pressure than "normal" would be more appropriate, as opposed to a higher??? Of course, it stands to reason that speed is a part of the equation. Consider this: many have commented that higher pressures stiffen the sidewalls (that makes sense to me) and therefore would produce stiffer handling characteristics. I wouldn't know because I've not experimented much. Personally, I would guess that if one was seeking triple digit entertainment, slightly higher pressures might be a good thing. Of course no-one on this forum would ever think of breaking the speed limits...

Here's a link to a video taken of a car tire (mounted on a bike) running through a corner.

Different bike, different tire: however, it does demonstrate something. More than half the width of the tire is on the ground during the corner. You can see it plainly in the video. I'll bet that's a 4 inch wide contact patch. Wish somebody would film an FJR and an Exalto...Gary

darksider #44

As with anything it's pretty much subjective to the owner.. However I think it's safe to assume pressures from 28 to 32 psi seem to work best.

The first tire I ran was happy at 32 . The *Entyre seems to like 28..It think most of the Michelin peeps are 28 also.

* Did I mention it's hell on squirrels? :lol:

As with anything it's pretty much subjective to the owner.. However I think it's safe to assume pressures from 28 to 32 psi seem to work best.

The first tire I ran was happy at 32 . The *Entyre seems to like 28..It think most of the Michelin peeps are 28 also.

* Did I mention it's hell on squirrels? :lol:
Did ya get another one? :eek:

I'm running my exalto at 29 and it works perfectly.

... Did I mention it's hell on squirrels? :lol:
Have you noticed that the squirrels don't flop around nearly as much when you run higher pressures? Please post up pictures of the squirrel tails attached to the back of your FJR and we'll give you your official Squirrel-sider number.

Gary

darksider #44

Holy Crap Batman !!! I'm reading Dark Side posts .. I'm liking what I'm seeing but 1 just bought new RP3's and 2nd Yodda is looking at ME ..
Dude, this is the FJR forum. Put em in the classified section and sell em. There's ALWAYS plenty of guys looking for a deal on tires. I know more than one darksider has done just that. So ya lose a couple bucks up front. The CT will SAVE you far more than you lose.... just by putting it on the bike. The sooner the better.

Gary

darksider #44

OK .. I hear what your saying... BUT.. Most of my riding is found in the Mountains & Canyons (Lots of Twisties) I'm having a hard time giving up that "WONDERFUL" Feeling of Leaning in the turns and such !!! This would be a No brainer if i lived in the Flat Lands. Sorry if i piss off lord Vader, but I'm just not their yet.

BullCBX - Welcome to the Darkside. You have been added to the FAQ as Darksider #54.

@Dark & Silent - Your pic of the G-MAX AS-03 has been added to the FAQ, along with your link to the tire info. Well done on expanding the knowledge base. Post up or PM me with details and comments you would like added to the FAQ about the G-MAX once you have some miles on it.

@SGBennet - chart is really not required. If you consider that many of the tires we choose are running on ~2400 lb cars, that's 600 lbs a corner. For a light sports car like say... a Miata or Mini Cooper, you would expect to be running 28-32 psi, depending on your driving habits and what the tires actually do under your driving habits. 30 psi is an excellent starting point for any Darksider. Play with it from there under your normal riding habits and see what works for you.

Yes, more pressure for high speed. That's pretty standard. If you expect to be running WOT on the FJR, you'll want to air up a CT. This can be a deal breaker for some riders that routinely see triple digits, but for most of us, understanding that over 135 or so, it gets a bit of a weave is not really an issue. :huh:

In choosing a tire I am much more concerned with what changes it makes from dry to wet, than I am with pressures. The temp testing did show that the Exalto worked optimally for that rider at 31 psi. I've run mostly 30-32 psi and been happy with the balance of turn in and feel. Some tires definitely benefit from a bit less, or a bit more pressure. But there will always be that aspect of rider feel and riding style. Experiment and find what works best for you, THAT is what this thread is all about, sharing what works and your first hand experiences so others have a better idea where to start and what sounds good to them, or what simply tells them it's not a direction they want to go.

OK .. I hear what your saying... BUT.. Most of my riding is found in the Mountains & Canyons (Lots of Twisties) I'm having a hard time giving up that "WONDERFUL" Feeling of Leaning in the turns and such !!! This would be a No brainer if i lived in the Flat Lands. Sorry if i piss off lord Vader, but I'm just not their yet.
A valid concern! Think of it this way; The CT won't slow you down once you get used to it. It will require a bit more turn in effort, which once you build some muscle memory will not be noticed, for the most part. Ride hard all day, you'll feel it in the shoulders a bit more, eh? BUT, that "WONDERFUL" feeling lasts for the first 1000 miles or so, then slowly fades until you're fighting the tire's squared off issues. With the CT, it's consistent all the way to the end of the tire's life. Once you get comfortable with it, it stays the same for it's full life! I am not saying you should change now. I am saying you will be surprised that you can rail just as hard with the CT as with the moto tire, and feel more confident in the corners because that CT just STICKS.

When you're ready, go for it. If that's not now, it's all good. :good:

--Copied from a recent classified post in our forum... a random comment from a fella reluctantly selling his dark-mount.

Dude: you didn't even get the thing broken in yet. Sorry ya gotta sell it. Good luck with your sale. Nicely farkled and nice price. Somebody better jump on this deal!!!! I've got the same rear tire on my bike. I just love it. How did ya like the Exalto?

Gary

darksdier #44
I REALLY liked the Exalto. The flack I took from friends was unbelievable, and then they rode it and were amazed. I just got this bike where I wanted it short of an additional fuel cell. Oh well, at some ponit I will build another.
I don't suggest you do this, but I have. Occasionally, I like to goose it a little when I'm pulling around a corner and heading out on the highway. Years on a dirt bike makes me a lot more comfortable doing stuff that others should avoid. Anyway, on my original MT tire, the rear end would break loose and kick out a bit as I launched. With the Exalto however, there is a good deal LESS tendency to break loose. It just squats down and grips when it's healed over. Consider this: the more you twist the throttle, the more weight the rear tire carries. More weight=more flex. The footprint while cornering gets larger with the weight transfer. What's unique about this: actual performance is exactly the opposite of what most would-be darksiders fear.

Another note: Recently I rode another bike with a standard MT. It had the "WONDERFUL" feeling you spoke of. It would change lines by just thinking about it. You know what? I'm SO used to the way my FJR handles, the bike felt twitchy to me... unstable, maybe even temperamental?? Now don't shoot me here. I know this is the way a bike is supposed to feel. However, as I said, I'm so used to the feel of my FJR now. I really prefer the way the CT makes it feel. It feels more planted, less twitchy, more stable. It's... comforting to me, sort of a more predictable feel. Granted, the difference isn't that much, but it is different. DARKSIDERS: have ya driven a FJR with a MT lately? You might feel like I do... yuch. Call me crazy, but I'm very happy w/ my Exalto and I can honestly say that for me, it really feels better on the road. So I'll just come out and say it:

I've been blinded by the darkside. And I really like it.

Gary

-very happy to be: darksider #44

--Copied from a recent classified post in our forum... a random comment from a fella reluctantly selling his dark-mount.

Dude: you didn't even get the thing broken in yet. Sorry ya gotta sell it. Good luck with your sale. Nicely farkled and nice price. Somebody better jump on this deal!!!! I've got the same rear tire on my bike. I just love it. How did ya like the Exalto?

Gary

darksdier #44
I REALLY liked the Exalto. The flack I took from friends was unbelievable, and then they rode it and were amazed. I just got this bike where I wanted it short of an additional fuel cell. Oh well, at some ponit I will build another.
I don't suggest you do this, but I have. Occasionally, I like to goose it a little when I'm pulling around a corner and heading out on the highway. Years on a dirt bike makes me a lot more comfortable doing stuff that others should avoid. Anyway, on my original MT tire, the rear end would break loose and kick out a bit as I launched. With the Exalto however, there is a good deal LESS tendency to break loose. It just squats down and grips when it's healed over. Consider this: the more you twist the throttle, the more weight the rear tire carries. More weight=more flex. The footprint while cornering gets larger with the weight transfer. What's unique about this: actual performance is exactly the opposite of what most would-be darksiders fear.

Another note: Recently I rode another bike with a standard MT. It had the "WONDERFUL" feeling you spoke of. It would change lines by just thinking about it. You know what? I'm SO used to the way my FJR handles, the bike felt twitchy to me... unstable, maybe even temperamental?? Now don't shoot me here. I know this is the way a bike is supposed to feel. However, as I said, I'm so used to the feel of my FJR now. I really prefer the way the CT makes it feel. It feels more planted, less twitchy, more stable. It's... comforting to me, sort of a more predictable feel. Granted, the difference isn't that much, but it is different. DARKSIDERS: have ya driven a FJR with a MT lately? You might feel like I do... yuch. Call me crazy, but I'm very happy w/ my Exalto and I can honestly say that for me, it really feels better on the road. So I'll just come out and say it:

I've been blinded by the darkside. And I really like it.

Gary

-very happy to be: darksider #44

" Luke " .. .. I am your brothers mothers 2nd cousin's father twice removed .. HHHhhhhhh .. ok ok let me burn through this RP3 and i just Might Maybe Kinda make the switch. Gezzz .. Pushers (just kidding) I don't like to fall to peer pressure, but i do like to be different and think outside of the box.

.. ok ok let me burn through this RP3 and i just Might Maybe Kinda make the switch. Gezzz .. Pushers (just kidding) I don't like to fall to peer pressure, but i do like to be different and think outside of the box.
handshake.jpg

Hey Radio.

Guess I have too much time on my hands. Had to go look up "acolyte." New word for me.

By the way, love that avatar of yours, it makes me laugh: it's so... friendly.

I just passed 13k on the Exalto. Still looks like new.

Gary

darksider #44

Okay...here in my 4100 mile update on the General G-MAX.

Immediately after it was put on and I took it out, I could instantly tell that this thing loves to roll. At lower speeds (sub-45 mph) around town, it just leans into corners. No bar-pressure really needed as it was almost compliant enough that I could lean the bike through corners with only body language. It was definitely better than the Yokohama.

The one issue I noticed may or may not be an issue. When I got the bike up to interstate cruising speeds (65-70 mph) I was feeling a bit of a rumble. I'm not quite sure if it is the tire's profile. After the first few thousand miles I have noticed this rumble going away. I am not sure if this is because I am used to it, or if the tire has just broken in enough that it has gone away. Some of the leading edges have worn away slightly, exposing micro-sipes built into the compound...a very nice feature! I'll try and take photos of this soon to show what I mean.

My other theory is that I was running dyna-beads in the Yokohama, and had the dealer transfer them over to the new tire. Judging by the copious amount of lubricant splooge on the outside of the tire when I got it back...me-thinks that some of the dyna-beads clumped together inside the tire and this is what's causing the rumble. After a couple of heat cycles and the constant riding, they may have freed themselves. Anyway, the rumble seems to not be an issue anymore and I'm waiting a few days before I ride the FJR again, to see if it comes back with time off the bike.

Originally I ran the tire at 35 psi, but I did increase it to 38 psi after the first few hundred miles to see if it would help the rumble. It did somewhat, and I think it also assisted with some stability at the higher speeds I was running. I may drop it lower and do some testing at sub-35 psi.

In terms of grip, this thing is pretty sticky. Never did I not feel confident in the tire, though I'm not quite sure it's as sticky as the Yokohama was. During some corners it feels like it is breaking away, but it is a very very progressive breakaway and is entirely controllable. I usually only felt this when I was running at 80-85 mph through sweepers marked for 45-50 mph. It may have something to do with the road surface as well, as there were some tar-snakes on the roadway. I'll need to test it out on one of the corners near my house. It gives me a good test-bed for corners since it is nice and smooth continuous turn.

Wet grip was definitely respectable, but I'll need to do more testing on this at lower speeds through harder corners. I had good weather for most of my trip and only experienced rain near Madison, WI...which included interstate and city streets. I tried to push it on exit and entrance ramps, but they don't always give me a good idea of how it will handle on other surfaces. Definitely not a complete test of wet weather grip.

The tire did feel a little more twitchy on grooved tarmac and grid bridges, but entirely controllable. Never felt un-safe.

Once I do some maintenance on the bike and feel like riding it again, I'll try and get some better wet weather testing done before the dry season arrives here in Seattle.