Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homo cocksuckers aside, don't forget that Eric's magazine reaps profit from motorcycle tire manufacturers. Imagine the shitstorm he would cause if he just told the truth and said the bike will ride just fine with a cheaper, longer lasting car tire on the back.

However, this whole car tire on a motorcycle thing is blasphemous, and everyone involved is going straight to Hell right after their fiery, melted aluminum and plastic death.

'zilla and beemerdons in agreement....

End+of+World+the+end+is+near+sign.jpg

I read the article a couple times and I think it will give schools, rallys, and perhaps insurance companys another excuse to try to ban the use of car tires. I didn't really find and real proof that it's a danger, just people that haven't tried it saying just because it isn't a designed use it won't work. I haven't tried it but when I work through my pile of MC tires I will.

I read the article a couple times and I think it will give schools, rallys, and perhaps insurance companys another excuse to try to ban the use of car tires. I didn't really find any real proof that it's a danger, just people that haven't tried it saying just because it isn't a designed use it won't work. I haven't tried it but when I work through my pile of MC tires I will.
Saying car tires won't operate because of "designed use" is like telling the Wright Brothers they cannot fly or informing Bustanut joker that his Anus Shavers will not work!

800px-First_flight2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying car tires won't operate because of "designed use" is like telling the Wright Brothers they cannot fly or informing Bustanut joker that his Anus Shavers will not work!
Actually, a more appropriate example in this case would be shaving your Anus with the Kitty Hawk.

800px-First_flight2.jpg
Thank you beemerdons for only including the photo of the Wright brothers! I did not want to see the anus shaver at work!

800px-First_flight2.jpg
Thank you beemerdons for only including the photo of the Wright brothers! I did not want to see the anus shaver at work!
Actually Redfish Hunter, I am doing a little PhotoShop work on that particular photograph as we speak!

Actually, a more appropriate example in this case would be shaving your Anus with the Kitty Hawk.
You got to hit it just right, but it will more than do the job! Just ask Wilbur! As you can see, he learned to run beside the plane, not in front of it! :dribble:

Did anyone read the Darksider article in the July 2012 Rider mag? :unsure:
Years ago, you may recall that a major tire company found itself in the headlines. SUV’s were experiencing terrible rollover accidents due to the catastrophic failure of their tires. AS the media followed the accusations, the denials, and the eventual verdict, there was one thing that could not be overlooked. The tires in question, when not inflated properly, were indeed dangerous on SUV’s. The proof was revealed in the fact that over and over again in a multitude of cases, these tires failed when used on a certain type of vehicle.

Interesting statistic: these tires were carrying a great deal of weight. My Exalto is rated for 1279 pounds. Even with my fat but onboard, it might be hauling 425 or so. Talk about under-stressed. Interesting that this one factor never comes up in anti-CT discussions.

The point? The evidence was undeniable. How do we know? When used on a certain type vehicle under certain conditions, these SUV tires were proven dangerous.

So WE are told that when used on a certain type of vehicle (an FJR), ALL car tires are dangerous.

Car tires. We’ve run them too fast in the corners - leaning over till the footpegs grind. We’ve run them faster than most cars could ever go. We’ve run them in the rain, in the sweltering heat, and in the freezing cold. Sometimes the pressure was too high and sometimes it was too low. We’ve openly and honestly discussed the matter for years on this forum. We even took a poll to pool our knowledge. There can be no question that our combined experience put them to the test.

Henry David Thoreu said, “No way of thinking… can be trusted without proof.” So I would ask the NAYSAYERS who seem so confident: given the 600,000 plus miles of combined darksiding experience this forum has documented, where’s the evidence? One fella said, “For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don’t, no proof is possible.”

We’ve been challenged to prove that the darkside is safe. I would argue that we indeed have.

I’d like to issue a challenge of my own. I say that placing a CT on the back of an FJR is just as safe if not safer than a motorcycle tire. PROVE ME WRONG.

Gary

Darksider #44

I'd like to issue a challenge of my own. I say that placing a CT on the back of an FJR is just as safe if not safer than a motorcycle tire.
I have no quibbles with the safety aspect of car tires. I'm sure they go round and round like an mcy tire.

My issues is why you would put something that handles worse in the twisties than a mcy tire? Sure, you can ride it in the twisties and some crazy nutter on a car tire can race another on an mcy tire and they can go fast. But besides some sort of longevity advantage, would you put a worse handling tire on your bike?

Car tires - make the bike handle like dog poop for a long time?

Head to head...same rider, a mcy tire will perform better and have a better feel in the twisties.

After hearing from two people that I have ridden with and respect take off a car tire because it took out that the fun times in the twisties, that convinced me. It's that last 10% of a well handling creamy smoothness on a sweeper or twisty that gives the wow factor for riding for some of us.

For others, its longevity of tires (yawn).

I have no problem saying that in the right hands, a CT is safe (yawn)...but don't tell me that a CT will give you that same warm and fuzzy feeling in the curves...cuz I have two former darksiders that have told me that they had to take that POS off.

I'd like to issue a challenge of my own. I say that placing a CT on the back of an FJR is just as safe if not safer than a motorcycle tire.
I have no quibbles with the safety aspect of car tires. I'm sure they go round and round like an mcy tire.

My issues is why you would put something that handles worse in the twisties than a mcy tire? Sure, you can ride it in the twisties and some crazy nutter on a car tire can race another on an mcy tire and they can go fast. But besides some sort of longevity advantage, would you put a worse handling tire on your bike?

Car tires - make the bike handle like dog poop for a long time?

Head to head...same rider, a mcy tire will perform better and have a better feel in the twisties.

After hearing from two people that I have ridden with and respect take off a car tire because it took out that the fun times in the twisties, that convinced me. It's that last 10% of a well handling creamy smoothness on a sweeper or twisty that gives the wow factor for riding for some of us.

For others, its longevity of tires (yawn).

I have no problem saying that in the right hands, a CT is safe (yawn)...but don't tell me that a CT will give you that same warm and fuzzy feeling in the curves...cuz I have two former darksiders that have told me that they had to take that POS off.
Uh Wheatie, we're all adults here on the Forum so please name Names! I know one of them is Bungie, great we have the experiences of a drunk fecking Canuckistani!

Who is the other car tire Defector? If it is another Frostback I am going to scream, they are nice enough people but they can **** up a bowling ball! Puta la Maji, ese!

IMG_6345.jpg

I just wish that you could have ridden behind SkooterG when he flat "cooked" the Yarnell Grade and White Spars passes here in Central Arizona. He was fully flying!

100_0817-1.jpg

Plus, I put 50 miles on SkootyG's "FE BT" car tire special and after the first 5 miles I could not tell the difference. This Old Man can ride a CT just as damn fast as an MT!

Ah... WeatonFJR. You still watch this thread for reasons I simply don't understand. This thread exists to share first hand information and for those running CTs on their FJRs to answer questions from those FJR riders interested in this oddity.

It has never been of any interest of those here to convince you it's the right thing for you. :dribble:

There are some riders that have needs that moto tires do not meet. For those riders, exploring other possibilities is of interest. Running a CT is merely one such possibility, and the wealth of info here is presented with the hope that it will allow others to decide if they wish to try this or not.

Some will actually read the FAQ and this thread to try and learn from the first hand reports posted here if this CT thing is of any interest to them. Others, such as yourself, have always presented a negative viewpoint, but never actually tried it yourself. You seem to have always presented the same viewpoint, that this is not for you. Which is fine, but yet you continue to post here on the Darksiding thread? Why? If you're not open to exploring a new idea, your first post was sufficient to share your point of view. Post #30 There you at least respected the right of others to explore a new idea. Now it seems that despite the lack of any Darksiders doing any pavement surfing, you have a more negative viewpoint. Your latest posts indicate this is from the actions of other riders you respect, but still based upon second hand information.

FWIW, both of those riders, Bungie and FredW, picked tires that were untried. Their results, posted to this thread, would indicate that those particular tires are less desirable for Darksiding, but honestly, we don't have anyone that can share back to back impressions of those tires and proven good handling tires either. So we are left with the uncertainty of what was rider preference and what was tire choice?

In Fred's case, his test only lasted 400 miles and it's my opinion, (not necessarily shared by Fred), that he didn't give himself enough time to acclimate to the new characteristics of the CT or for the CT to break in to bike use. That in no way changes that he didn't like the changes in handling!

It has always been said that you will give up the effortless turn in of a new set of motorcycle tires, when using a CT. But that slowly deteriorates from the first mile anyway and after only 2k or so, isn't effortless any more and continues to get worse.

You asked

My issues is why you would put something that handles worse in the twisties than a mcy tire?
First, I offer that that would be better asked as "why would you put something that handles different in the twisties than a mcy tire?"

Second, I answered that question long ago. I was in the position of not being able to afford to take some trips because I was spending money on tires instead of on gas. For my riding style, the CT meant being able to enjoy riding more since I didn't have to replace my tires 2-3 times a year. That savings went strait into gas money. From the very beginning this was an experiment. At this point, it's a proven choice, but not a choice for everyone.

Oh ya, FredW, I forgot about his foray into lunacy (hehhe.. just for dramatic affect).

So that's at least 3 of us that thought CT's on an FJR were balls.

Hey, run what your comfortable with, I'm firmly in the car tires are for cars camp.

Oh ya, FredW, I forgot about his foray into lunacy (hehhe.. just for dramatic affect).

Hey, run what your comfortable with, I'm firmly in the car tires are for cars camp.
So Bungie, if you are #1 and Freddie Bear is #2: Then who is the 3rd Defector?

WheatonFJR is now hiding under the porch since Eric is going to kick his ass!!

So Bungie, if you are #1 and Freddie Bear is #2: Then who is the 3rd Defector?

WheatonFJR is now hiding under the porch since Eric is going to kick his ass!!
It wasn't that long ago that another well respected rider dumped his POS car tire in favour of a real motorcycle tire. He had said he will be posting more about it when he has time. He didn't want to waste his vacation riding on a CT, or posting about it.

It wasn't that long ago that another well respected rider dumped his POS car tire in favour of a real motorcycle tire. He had said he will be posting more about it when he has time. He didn't want to waste his vacation riding on a CT, or posting about it.
That'd be the third Judas. I'm not naming them, as it's always bad to speak for somebody else, but John D has it.

I like my car tire (Exalto) but would be hard-pressed to say I loved it. I have about 12,000 miles on it now and will take it to the end of its natural lifetime. The next tire I put on the rear will be a MC tire. After that's done I will decide if a CT or MC tire is next. While its not bad, I have lost the feeling that the bike can simply fall into a turn without any effort. I don't feel that it is dangerous in any way or that I have diminished control but my current feeling is that it could be better. Again, I need to run a MC tire again to finally decide. Last year, I was considering buying an EBAY rear wheel as a spare and have a MC tire and a CT mounted. A 15 minute swap could have me set up for whatever I was planning to do. For a long distance run involving a lot of highway its a no-brainer - the CT wins.

Ross

This thread is going to go in the shitter soon :dribble: unless some learn to relax and except different strokes fer different folks.

Much ado about nothing...

If the fuking thing works use it.. If it don't, take it off.

Ain't nobody here giving a moto GP rider a run for his money on a sport tourer.

Granted the vast majority here are far an away better riders then I when it comes to pushing the limit on these bikes, I for one could give a rats as about hammering corners, pushing the envelope.

Nope, I ride to see stuff an meet new people.

And the CT does what I expect of it.