Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread belongs on a Hardley site.
Anyone who knows how important tires are on a motorcycle wouldn't even think of putting a car tire on the thier bike.

Or a fuel cell either!

Thanks again for yet some more insightful input mister close-minded.
Close minded?? You have to be kidding me! More like common sense!

There's a reason why motorcycle tires are different than Car tires. Different profiles, MUCH stickier rubber for traction ect....

I won't even attepmt to explain it to you since you don't think it's utterly ridiculous, not to mention hazardous to put a car tire on a cycle, on top of that, he had a cycle tire in the FRONT, the totally different profiles of the 2 tires make it unsafe to begin with!

Motorcycling is dangerous enough, the LEAST we could do is let him know what he did makes it even more dangerous!

Oh my! It seems you may be giving me a run for the 'All Knowing and Powerful' title around here! What's an idiot like me to do? I want my mommy!

I tremble at your feet! I hereby proclaim that the world according to SoCalFJR1300 is the Way It Is and no deviation like fuel cells or car tires are allowed!

What else should I add to the banned list O Wise One?

BTW......I don't know of ANY reputable tire store that would install a car tire on a cycle wheel BECAUSE of the liability, what does that tell you?
Because that's the way it's always been and I'm afraid to set outside the box.

Pretty sure we are around 1m miles collectively with no reported issues of flaming death and such
So you put car tires on your bike too??

Tell me how does that feel on twisty roads pretty STABLE??
I maybe wrong, but I am pretty sure most of the dark siders, if not all of them, don't ride on the racer's edge while running car tires on their FJR.

EDIT - Correction. I personally saw one guy with a car tire ride his FJR like a bat outta hell on the twisties here in the Sierra Foothills. So, there goes my theory..

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW......I don't know of ANY reputable tire store that would install a car tire on a cycle wheel BECAUSE of the liability, what does that tell you?

Pretty sure we are around 1m miles collectively with no reported issues of flaming death and such

ROCK SOLID stable you twit. See if you can wrap your closed mind around this:

IMG_8356B.jpg

I don't ride as aggressively as SkooterG, but I have touched pegs down and do run briskly.... As long as you don't go past the magic point of 135 +/- all is good and stable

All this good repartee has reminded me of some photos I needed to post.

I ran across this custom chopper at a local wings place a few weeks back. Wouldn't be *my* choice for a front tire, but hey, just ask SoCalFJR1300........ WTF do I know?

20130212_175028_zps66036bf5.jpg

20130212_175045_zpsc9aff49b.jpg

That's a little scary (CT on front)! I doubt it would matter much with that bike - no worry about affecting the fine handling characteristics of a chopper. Just another topic of conversation while stopped at the bar.

I ran a car tire for 25,000 miles and while I NEVER felt like it was dangerous or that I didn't have complete control, I never really liked the feel. I really noticed the improved response when I went back to PR3 on the rear. I would consider another CT for a major tour that involves lots of miles but minimal "performance" riding. I will stick with the MC tire for normal running. Not a problem with the CT but not as much fun (for me).

Just my preference and I have enough miles on the CT to be entitled to an opinion. For SoCalFJR1300, try it before you pontificate on the subject. Lets see a picture of you in a more agressive riding stance than the above photo of SkooterG on your FJR with a MC tire. Otherwise, put a sock in it.

This thread belongs on a Hardley site.
Anyone who knows how important tires are on a motorcycle wouldn't even think of putting a car tire on the thier bike.

Close minded?? You have to be kidding me! More like common sense!
There's a reason why motorcycle tires are different than Car tires. Different profiles, MUCH stickier rubber for traction ect....

I won't even attepmt to explain it to you since you don't think it's utterly ridiculous, not to mention hazardous to put a car tire on a cycle, on top of that, he had a cycle tire in the FRONT, the totally different profiles of the 2 tires make it unsafe to begin with!

Motorcycling is dangerous enough, the LEAST we could do is let him know what he did makes it even more dangerous!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just in case no one has ever witnessed the event, either on the Forum, or in "Real Life", this is what "Talking Out Your Ass" looks like on a web page.

Wadda Putz!

Gott agree with ya there Howie. Maybe he didn't take the time to read all the documentation about CT's on FJR's and many others.

I run a semi reputable shop and have no problem mounting a car tire. I say semi because both Bust and Zilla have been here.
bad.gif

Gott agree with ya there Howie. Maybe he didn't take the time to read all the documentation about CT's on FJR's and many others.
I run a semi quasi reputable shop and have no problem mounting a car tire. I say semi quasi because both Bust and Zilla have been here.
bad.gif
Fixed.

Since it is apparent that you didn't read the entire thread, and probably did not notice that it's got over 3000 replies and over 100,000 views, you might take a little time and go HERE and read the FAQ. It will enlighten you a bit and you won't be asking the very same questions asked or making the same commented already posted over and over again in the main thread here.

There are north of 100 FJRs riding around with car tires on the back. I myself have over 70k of CT riding with a FJR, (two tires). Like moto tires, car tires vary from design to design. You wouldn't put knobbies on your FJR, most likely, because it wouldn't meet your needs and would handle like crap. But a good Sport Touring tire handles much better. Car tires are the same, you wouldn't put mud tires on a sports car, because it would handle like crap and wouldn't meet your needs. Some car tires perform better than others for motorcycle use. And there are 10s of thousands of motorcycles out there riding millions of miles on car tires. Gold Wings to cruisers of all nature to VStroms, and yes, FJRs too.

The front tire needs to be round profile because it is what initiates the turn. (remember that article on counter steering and how it works?) Is the CT different? Yes. Does it make the bike handle like crap? No, and this group has found tires that are far better than the first couple I tried. In fact, the popular tires used now offer very minimal difference in feel from a moto tire, except in narrow, specific conditions like crossing uneven pavement, (think ramped driveway curbs), and longitudinal seams.

For every nay sayer, there has been some guy that saw a CT equipped FJR and made the foolish comment "I bet you can't keep up with me in the twisties" only to be shown the back of the CT equipped bike.

You believe what you wish, we're ok with that. Really. But if you haven't actually ridden a few hundred miles or more on a CT equipped bike, enough to gain the muscle memory for the different handling characteristics, then you might want to reserve judgement and not try to tell people that actually are doing it that it's "unsafe".

BTW, one of the very well respected riders on this forum started a thread just to proclaim how wrong CT use was, attempting to balance the forum viewpoints. It got to something like 12 posts before it died.

When I joined this forum it was because I had questions. Lots of questions. I had lurked here for a long time, I had learned a few things I needed for the FJR, but I needed more. I did not come here to tell the "Experts" what they should do, I came here so they could tell me what I needed to do. (And some of them have told me what I needed to do! Bastards!)

I find that it is almost impossible to learn anything while I am talking. The old saying about two ears and one mouth because you should listen twice as much as you talk comes to mind.

I love that pic of Skooter's bike leaned over on that car tire. I (with his permission) posted it on the ST1300 forum in their Darksider thread. It would be better if Skooter were not in it...

Has anyone asked ANY motorcycle manufacturer if putting a ridgid car tire on the back of a motorcycle is a good idea and stable for the bike??

If car tires were good for motorcycles why don't the manufacturers put them on?? They'd get much better mileage and could use that as a sales promotion. They design these bikes, they know what handles best.

If car tires handled good they would use them.

Showing a guy leaned over on a bike with a car tire doesn't mean it's stable, it only means he leaned over.

I've been riding for decades maybe longer than some of the "experts" here, I was trying to do the guy that did this a favor by pointing it out that it was a bad idea to put a car tire on the back of a bike. I was met with name calling by Scootertrash a Admin of all people.

I'm done and out of this ridiculous thread!

ROCK SOLID stable you twit. See if you can wrap your closed mind around this:

IMG_8356B.jpg

One more thing.........try going to Willow Springs Raceway and selling car tires fo the riders there, let me know how well you do.

You can show them this photo and when they stop laughing you can tell them how great they handle compared to motorcycle tires.

After all this is PROOF that car tires handle great on a bike!

Why does it seem that I have heard this before over the course of 158 pages. *not for everyone* is exactly what it says......