Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's just easier because you're getting better at it. Or maybe as the tire wears, it's getting slightly softer and easier to manipulate, as well as you getting better with practice. I'll leave the other gory possibility out of this, but it involves broken strands of steel, fire, melted plastic and aluminum.

Maybe it's just easier because you're getting better at it. Or maybe as the tire wears, it's getting slightly softer and easier to manipulate, as well as you getting better with practice. I'll leave the other gory possibility out of this, but it involves broken strands of steel, fire, melted plastic and aluminum.
Around here people have there tires switched two times a year for winter and summer unless they have spare wheels. The mount and dismount never seems to be a problem unless the tire monkey tears the bead.. AJ just wants to scare you with the whole burning thing cause he's chicken to try the dark side.
tonguesmiley.gif

Around here people have there tires switched two times a year for winter and summer unless they have spare wheels. The mount and dismount never seems to be a problem unless the tire monkey tears the bead.. AJ just wants to scare you with the whole burning thing cause he's chicken to try the dark side.
tonguesmiley.gif

Oh, he tried it once. And dropped the bike in U-turn in the process! DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

You say chicken, I say big fucking girl.
wink.png

I already told you, I did NOT drop the bike. I threw that abomination out from my under me....I cleansed myself of the beast!! Someone was very understanding about his bike hitting the ground. Musta been a good friend who deserves beer!

Seriously, I have thought about going DS, but just haven't done it. Maybe one day...

I already told you, I did NOT drop the bike. I threw that abomination out from my under me....I cleansed myself of the beast!! Someone was very understanding about his bike hitting the ground. Musta been a good friend who deserves beer!
Seriously, I have thought about going DS, but just haven't done it. Maybe one day...
Man, you are too easily swayed by peer pressure.

Someone calls you a big gurl and right away you gotta prove something.

:D

I already told you, I did NOT drop the bike. I threw that abomination out from my under me....I cleansed myself of the beast!! Someone was very understanding about his bike hitting the ground. Musta been a good friend who deserves beer!Seriously, I have thought about going DS, but just haven't done it. Maybe one day...
Man, you are too easily swayed by peer pressure.

Someone calls you a big gurl and right away you gotta prove something.

:D
I said I have thought about it. Sheesh...I'm currently running Pirelli Angels. Two of them. Front AND rear Nancy!! Remember, just cuz I think of something doesn't mean I'll do it. I'm easily distracted!

Yeah, you and I talked about it when I came out to visit you and you saw my CT in person. You'll recall that I asked if you'd like to take it for a ride. Guess it just wasn't to be at THAT time. But I'm sure you'll remember that we talked about the darkside for quite a while. I still think you might be pleasantly surprised. FWIW, a forum member here in Fla. took my FJR for a ride about a month ago. He wanted to test out that CT. He told me that he could tell that there was a little bit of a difference when he first began to initiate a turn, but it was hard to tell. He said he was surprised at that, because he expected that it would be more noticeable. He added that it was hard to tell that there was ANY difference at all -- which was pretty much what I expected. That's exaclty what I said 3 years ago when I first put it on.

I'll be heading to Mims, Fla. next weekend to change out yet another front tire. My rear tire still has about 1/8-3/16 of treat depth, so I'll not be messing with it just yet. Maybe at about 40k, we'll see. So far my Exalto has outlasted 2 front tires: a PR2 and a PR3. However, in all fairness, I should add that neither was completely worn out... down to the cords, that is.

The darkside is calling, Z.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the time has come. I am sick and tired of chewing the middle out of my rear tire on my slab commute.

I have a lovely stainless steel caliper bracket ordered and now need to make a tire selection.

The exalto isn't well stocked and is a bit pricey. Has it been discontinued?

The pilot sport has good specs...

I'm just wondering what the current tire of choice is here.

TIA for any advise
wink.png

A couple months ago I bought a Yokohama AVID Envigor.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=05VR6ENV&tab=Sizes

It is still sitting in the garage next to Lucille - I just CAN'T bring myself to pull the PR2 that still has plenty of tread on it.

The price is right, eh?

On the Hondapotamus side the Michelin was King of the Darkside Hill for a couple years, but the Yoko has begun to erode that popularity. (Of course, those are run flats in the Wingabago).

Who knows? Maybe you can beat me to the punch!

I was starting to have issues with my Exalto (had a slow leak) but it had been repaired (3) times. I had over 20k happy miles with it was planning on replacing with same, but like stated, they have become hard to find and I'm not sure they are still being manufactured. I decided to try the Dunlop Direzza DZ101. Finally got it mounted over the holidays but have less than a 100 miles on it because of work schedule. It seems to handle a little better than the Exalto, but not sure how the longevity will hold up. For $85.00 plus shipping from Tire Rack.com, I'm happy with it.

FWIW, I am now at a solid 40,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S Plus. Probably (at least) another 20k miles left on it, conservatively. Just checked Tirerack.com and the A/S Plus is NOT listed in 205/50/17 anymore. They do have a 205/45/17 at $158. Haven't checked any other tire sites for prices or availability. Oh, the only Exalto they list ain't the 205/50/17 we all know and love!

Thanks guys!

This has been a tough decision. My head is about to explode.

It will be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for $165 delivered. (Ebay)

I think they are discontinuing this model as well.

This will be a good first time use of my new HF tire changer ;)

Now, about that Darksider number?

FWIW, I am now at a solid 40,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S Plus. Probably (at least) another 20k miles left on it, conservatively. Just checked Tirerack.com and the A/S Plus is NOT listed in 205/50/17 anymore. They do have a 205/45/17 at $158. Haven't checked any other tire sites for prices or availability. Oh, the only Exalto they list ain't the 205/50/17 we all know and love!
I just checked tirerack.com here: CLICKY and it appears that they do have the 205/50R17 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, just like the one I have... at 137.00 or 157.00 (depending on the speed rating you want). The website says it's in stock. Did I miss something?

Gary

darksider #44

I just checked tirerack.com here: CLICKY and it appears that they do have the 205/50R17 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, just like the one I have... at 137.00 or 157.00 (depending on the speed rating you want). The website says it's in stock. Did I miss something?

Gary

darksider #44
You are missing something my friend. There is no Pilot Exalto A/S on that list.

I was looking about a week ago and couldn't find one. I am seriously bummed. I love that tire.

Yeah...no Exalto on the page from the link unless the Exalto = Sport A/S 3 ????
From looking at the tread patterns of the tires on that page, I don't think they are the same.

Yeah, I know that sometimes the photos aren't accurate. But in the past the distinctive tread pattern of the Exalto was shown (along with the word "Exalto")

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 has a different tread pattern, but the specs look even better in terms of moto use. It may simply be the evolution of the Exalto.

500 AAA with a 50 psi max pressure and 7.1" tread width. IIRC, that beats the Exalto's 460 AAA rating and is slightly narrower tread width. Still $157 is a bit of change, though less than many moto rear tires. Someone will try it eventually.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 has a different tread pattern, but the specs look even better in terms of moto use. It may simply be the evolution of the Exalto.

500 AAA with a 50 psi max pressure and 7.1" tread width. IIRC, that beats the Exalto's 460 AAA rating and is slightly narrower tread width. Still $157 is a bit of change, though less than many moto rear tires. Someone will try it eventually.

The asymmetric tread patternof the '3' has me a bit concerned.

Thanks to Chuck35 I purchased an Exalto this morning for $169 shipped from Onlinetires.com. Going to stick with what I know works for me.

I did find an Exalto on Amazon but it was pricey. And found Pilot Sport A/S plus on Amazon and ebay, but again, they were pretty pricey.