Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't over think it. I doubt you will feel any difference. But hey, it's a personal choice!

I'm still waiting on my damned cookies.

I'm starting to get the feeling you bastages have been fooking with me about the damned cookies.

Pilot sport a/s PLUS (this is the one I ordered) UTOG 500-AA-A (That is Treadwear 500, Traction AA, Temp A) Speed rating Y (186 mph) (or 300 km/h in ca)

And if that's not enough, It has the RadioHowie seal of approval

michelin_pilot_sport_as_lg.jpg

Pilot sport a/s 3

michelin-pilot-sport-as3_lg.jpg

I'd be leary of this one for our needs. It is likely to have inside and outside sidewall labels.

michelin_pilot_sport_as_lg.jpg

Looks JUST like the A/S Plus on the back of my Feej.

'
That reminds me, I meant to ask you if you had any way to measure your tread depth. I'm curious what you have left after 40k.

If you need a guage, PM me an address and I'll send you one
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck35 wanted to know what my tread depth looked like at 40,000 miles. Hope this helps......

tire_zpsc7092240.jpg

The top two circles show the wear bars. Not there yet. The lower circle gives another visual of the tread depth

...and here's a close-up of the upper-right wear indicator

tire2_zpsa3fe7b10.jpg

Easily 20k miles left on this one! The top of Lincoln's head is covered, so I don't need you to mail me a penny. :D

Now that's the sort of longevity I crave!

Today was the day. I did it alone, at home, by hand.

The new HF tire changer was no match for the sidewalls on this beast.

It required highly skilled placement of 2x4's knees, and ratchet straps. I used 6 inch tire irons and the bead breaker of the HF changer.

I called out to Mother Theresa and several other noteworthy historical figures.

In the end, I won. This just goes to show you can't beat a determined man with a 6 in tool!

ct1.jpg

I'm still waiting on my damned cookies.
I'm starting to get the feeling you bastages have been fooking with me about the damned cookies.
We took up our normal collection and sent the money to 'owie as he said he "knew" someone..

By looking at pictures of him I bet he bought and ate them.

Welcome to the Darkside Chuck35, you have been entered into the Darksider FAQ as #72. Your initiation date will be PMed to you when the next meeting occurs, right after the next graduation of the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal. (Those graduating seniors really know how to party)

I hope the car tire meets your needs and suits your riding style. As we say, Smooth, is fast.

Thanks!

That Jenny is HAWT!

My test drive this evening was quite impressive. I did not spontaneously combust or run off the road after loosing control.

After spending the last 3 weeks or so getting my new suspension dialed in I had to start over with the ride height.

It is now back to where Traxxion left it lol.

I had originally thought I could just spoon on a MC tire for a mountain run if needed. After getting this tire on I decided a spare wheel might be in order.

After a ride, I don't think either will be necessary.

Hey Chuck:

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side. What PSI ya running? Oh yeah, and wait till ya break it in a little. The sidewalls soften up as time goes on and the character of the tire changes a little. For example, it's a little less disconcerting when you run over small irregularities at slow speeds. At least that's what happened on my Pilot Exalto.

Gary

Hey Chuck:Congratulations and welcome to the dark side. What PSI ya running? Oh yeah, and wait till ya break it in a little. The sidewalls soften up as time goes on and the character of the tire changes a little. For example, it's a little less disconcerting when you run over small irregularities at slow speeds. At least that's what happened on my Pilot Exalto.

Gary

I'm going to disagree with you there Gary and assert that it was you who adapted to the tire, and not the tire breaking in or softening up.

Oh My God, shoot me, but I agree with the Skootmeister.

If I get a little lazy on bad pavement, the rear STILL tries to follow rain grooves and truck ruts more than a motor cyle tire, but a slightly firmer grip on the bars takes care of the issue.

Hey Chuck:Congratulations and welcome to the dark side. What PSI ya running? Oh yeah, and wait till ya break it in a little. The sidewalls soften up as time goes on and the character of the tire changes a little. For example, it's a little less disconcerting when you run over small irregularities at slow speeds. At least that's what happened on my Pilot Exalto.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I'm at 32 psi cold currently. Yesterday was a bit cooler than I would have liked, but I took a ride with an infrared thermometer in my pocket.

After my fastest run I checked and the center of the tire was 2f warmer than the side treads. So I'm thinking 30 psi is going to be the ticket.

The handling was much better than I had anticipated. After dialing in the ride height I hit a few curves aggressively and was pleased with the bikes performance.

As reported I did find a bit more arm muscle required.

What psi have you settled on?

For those who wonder "WTF do people do this?" I anticipate saving $1000 over the life of this tire
punk.gif

Thanks!That Jenny is HAWT!

My test drive this evening was quite impressive. I did not spontaneously combust or run off the road after loosing control.

After spending the last 3 weeks or so getting my new suspension dialed in I had to start over with the ride height.

It is now back to where Traxxion left it lol.

I had originally thought I could just spoon on a MC tire for a mountain run if needed. After getting this tire on I decided a spare wheel might be in order.

After a ride, I don't think either will be necessary.
I thought the same thing, an extra wheel for a bike tire and and use the c/t for daily mundane stuff. But I quickly learned that the c/t does as well, sometimes better, the the m/t.

As for pressure, I run 32 cold and never check it hot as it will be add/release/add/release, etc. Just feels better to me but I have a different tire. But don't take our word for it. Experiment like I did. Pump it up to about 36 and ride. Don't like it? Let a little out and ride. Repeat letting air out 'til you don't like it again then add 2 psi. Chances are you'll be about 32.

At 38k miles on my Exalto, it's lasted 6 times as long as my original Metzler. I'm laughing all the way to the bank, as they say. I run about 30-31 in mine. I have noted that it appears that the center of my tire is wearing just a hair more than the outsides, for what it's worth. Could you check the tire temps at 30 psi, and post them up on the forum?

Gary

darksider #44

I ran 32-33 for a long time, then experimented with 30-31 which ended up feeling better to me. 32 if two up. Edges wore a hair more than the middle but not worth talking about.

At 38k miles on my Exalto, it's lasted 6 times as long as my original Metzler. I'm laughing all the way to the bank, as they say. I run about 30-31 in mine. I have noted that it appears that the center of my tire is wearing just a hair more than the outsides, for what it's worth. Could you check the tire temps at 30 psi, and post them up on the forum?
Gary

darksider #44
I was waiting for rideable weather to try this. I thought today was the day.

As with any other scientific endeavor, variables have to be accounted for in order to get consistent and repeatable results.

It is with the variables that my problem lies. I have a monitoring system, so my current psi is just a glance away.

This morning it was 34f when I left for work. I had 30 psi in the rear tire.

My ride is mostly interstate, 30 miles at 70 to 75 mph.

When I got to work I hopped of the bike and checked temps. I was not happy with the results. The sides were not the same. I assumed this was due to the exit ramp and a couple of turns required to get me parked at work. I vowed to retest on the way home with warmer ambient temps and an end stop on the side of the exit ramp.

Ambient temp 60f. rear tire psi is now at 32. end of ride temps were still not equal from side to side. The left side of the tire was warmer, I suspect due to the crown in the right lane even though I was only in it for the last 1/2 mile. I did not keep pen and pad handy for these as I assumed I would just be comparing 2 fairly equal sides with the center. As with many things, this is going to be a bit more complicated than I expected.