Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcatrophy,

Yeah, that's where I have the zip tie. But, my brake line rubbed against the tire at the other end of the caliper support. I just wanted to be sure I didn't have it backwards. Now I have the zip tie at the bottom end and the clamp at the top end. So far, so good.

John
I was a little confused, couldn't picture in my head what you were talking about but now I see. This may be one of the minor changes over the years as my '07 has the brake hose and ABS sensor wire fastened neatly to the top of the swing arm not the caliper stay. Thanks for the pics. You can sorta see what I mean

DSCN3131A_zps89609f1b.jpg

Mcatrophy,

Yeah, that's where I have the zip tie. But, my brake line rubbed against the tire at the other end of the caliper support. I just wanted to be sure I didn't have it backwards. Now I have the zip tie at the bottom end and the clamp at the top end. So far, so good.

John
I was a little confused, couldn't picture in my head what you were talking about but now I see. This may be one of the minor changes over the years as my '07 has the brake hose and ABS sensor wire fastened neatly to the top of the swing arm not the caliper stay. Thanks for the pics. You can sorta see what I mean

DSCN3131A_zps89609f1b.jpg
I see what you mean. My bike is non-ABS.

John

While nobody offered to tell me who the Bozo is, I think I managed to find the article in question. Due to my limited attention span I was unable to read it in its entirety.I do wonder who appoints or elects these "industry leaders". I would like to cordially invite them to kiss my ass!
Hey Chuck:

Thanks for the link. I read the article. My soul, check out all the responses below it. WOW. Anyway, one of the things I do as a reading teacher is help kids to analyze a text... to understand how to analyze an author's support for his arguments. I tell them that in order to determine the validity of anything they read, they have to be able to evaluate the evidence that an author provides to substantiate his claims. In the above article, the first thing that stood out to me was the total lack of any direct testing, statistics or numbers generated by qualified, trustworthy sources. For example, one of his strongest arguments utilized the testimony of an industry insider saying that his brand of CTs aren't designed for cornering angles. I quote, "durability can be affected by operating at such high camber angles, which can lead to tire failure." Notice he says, CAN BE. I get that. This in no way proves anything. Hey a tire CAN explode if it hits a sharp enough and deep enough pot hole. Which proves what exactly? Nor did he say that there was one shred of evidence to support his claim. No evidence = invalid argument. Simple rules of debate. So therefore what does his opinion, his guess, his concern, prove? If this is true, where then, I would ask, is the evidence of a single CT that failed on a motorcycle? Is there any evidence? If there was, I would remove my CT immediately. You see my point. I'd be willing to risk my life on that. As a matter of fact, I do every time I ride.

Then the author used an analogy between darksiders claiming no problems after zillions of miles and those refusing to wear helmets and their zillions of miles. Again, not a valid comparison as tire failure is something that can only be evaluated by thorough testing: failing to wear a helmet requires no test. The results are automatic, predictable, and just about guaranteed. So for me, the author's claims hang on the testimony of those who've never tested, measured, or even studied a CTs performance on a motorcycle. They generate general advice to the masses in an understandable attempt to protect those who would respect their opinion. This advice is of course the safe and prudent thing to give, but it still falls far short of providing any convincing evidence. An opinion, is after all, just that. Claims can only become facts when they can be tested and proven. And since the authorities he claims to quote haven't testing anything, he only has their opinion.

On the other hand I would argue that much testing has indeed been done. Motorcyclists are a passionate bunch. We are quick to warn others when something doesn't work or could pose a hazard to others. I have NEVER heard this from anyone of the many who ride the darkside. Our collective knowledge spans not only the 77 (at the moment) darksiders on this forum, but through the testimony of a couple of our members, we have learned that our results are consistent with darksider groups much larger than our own. Common sense tells me we would have indeed heard plenty if there was any sort of an issue. I believe this to be WELL documented and the evidence speaks for itself. In defense of some of our most respected former darksiders, the worst that can be said might be that the extra weight affects acceleration a little, and the extra sprung weight of a CT hampers suspension compliance. I should add that the extra width affects slow speed handling over VERY rough pavement at very low speeds (think: parking lot). For this reason, darksiding indeed isn't for everybody, but I would argue that the decision NOT TO DARKSIDE should not be based on any fears of the tire itself failing on the job. And you can take that to the bank.
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
On the back cover of the March Cycle World is a picture of Jason DiSalvo making a speed run on a Rocket at the Bonneville Salt Flats. It would appear Triumph is using a car tire on the rear. Looks like Triumph has figured out what we darksiders already know. CT's are best.
coolsmiley02.gif

I saw that! I recoiled in horror! What were they thinking? Running a car tire on a motorcycle while attempting a world record breaking high speed run?

I notice that NO ONE has said anything about that little tidbit. The silence from the moto mags is deafening.

I saw that! I recoiled in horror! What were they thinking? Running a car tire on a motorcycle while attempting a world record breaking high speed run?
I notice that NO ONE has said anything about that little tidbit. The silence from the moto mags is deafening.
Give it time.

Then we'll hear all about how CTs defy god's laws, void warranties, ruin handling, cancel insurance, and result in flaming death.

But then, one might hear the same things about motorcycle riding in general.

I would expect that anyone wanting to do a record breaking run on the salt flats would want something with a lot better speed rating than MC tires...... wonder what he had on the front?

Geez, it's a high speed run...he's not turning. Everyone knows you can ride straight on a car tire but you can't lean it into a turn. So long as he doesn't pull turns he'll avoid the fiery death.
biggrin.png

It's a 2 year warranty..... wear out the originals and replace with whatever you want, or buy a two year old one.......... you're right, entertaining debate from a bunch that shouldn't have much to debate. Wonder how many have crashed and burned from having CT's on.........

The two Spyders that have burned, had BRP tires.

As I mentioned elsewhere the burning had nothing to do with the tires . . .

We ride enough that we're going to have to replace the hoops on my wife's Spyder a couple more times before the warranty expires, but after that, she's switching to CTs on the Spyder.

Well, BRP can say what they want, but A. I know for a fact that the OEM tires they spec are common OEM spec on many EU small cars. I originally investigated these when I first started my Darkside tire hunt.

B. I'm pretty sure this is covered under the Magnusson Moss act.

B. I'm pretty sure this is covered under the Magnusson Moss act.
I hadn't thought of that.

A rear tire is $190 from the dealer, and they'll mount it for free. That's worth the extra cost as doing ANY work on the Spyder takes at least 70% longer than on the FJR.

I had been a bit less than thrilled with my bikes performance in the twisties. I have played with tire psi and suspension / height settings.

The "hump" went away when I got the cold psi to 30 or less. Running wide or instability was at either end of the shock height setting.

It was as good as I could get it.

But still I was having to push on the handlebars a bit to much during a turn.

Fast forward to today....I finally decided my PR3 front was toast and installed the new PR4 GT I had at the ready.

This was the final piece of the puzzle!

I have achieved tire nirvana!

You can no longer tell there is anything unusual between the bike and the road.

There is no "hump". There is no added force needed on the bars.

It feels as good (or better) than it did when I installed the last new set of PR3's.

I can crank thru the twisties as well as I ever could.

As an added bonus I don't spin the rear tire while drag racing an ST1300

Glad you found your tire nirvana. I believe it's in the FAQ somewhere about how the CT does make a worn front more obvious. Most of us seem to not wear front tires any different than with a moto tire on the bake, but some do feel fronts wear more peak shaped when using a CT. Obviously, every brand has different characteristics.

Glad you found your tire nirvana. I believe it's in the FAQ somewhere about how the CT does make a worn front more obvious. Most of us seem to not wear front tires any different than with a moto tire on the bake, but some do feel fronts wear more peak shaped when using a CT. Obviously, every brand has different characteristics.
I must have overlooked that in the FAQ. I had originally intended to replace both at the same time, but the PR4 back ordered and my old rear was toast.

I knew I needed to do the front, but I never expected to feel this much of a difference.

Hey Chuck,

You never told us how many miles you got outa that PR3 front. What was it lookin' like when ya pulled it? I just replaced my worn out PR3 with a new PR2. Oddly enough, I didn't notice a great deal of change in the handling, but I am happy to say that the handlebars aren't slapping the gas tank between 38 and 50mph any more. My particular PR3 was a shaker from day one.

Gary

darksider #44

I didn't record the install mileage, but it was 10K give or take a little. With my slab commute, the center got most of the wear. The profile is a bit triangular.

I had been happy with thePR3's. Like so many tires, the end of their life is not a happy road.

The only shake I have had was with the (toasted) PR2 the bike came with.

I was getting a rather scalloped wear pattern that smoothed out completely after the Traxxion AK-20 upgrade. I suspect a lack of rebound dampening with the oem valves was the cause of that pattern.

This thread has been quiet. How are the darkside tires holding up? I've only got 5-6k on mine so far. Anyone wear one out yet?