Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. Mary is the palm;
Back in my Navy days... (insert Village People reference) :rolleyes:

I always heard it as "Pa(l)mala and her 5 ugly sisters."

That makes sense, but I was raised Irish catholic and the name Mary holds some kinky emotional thrills....

;) :eek:
https://www.usachurch.com/oregon/eugene/chu...hurch_74434.htm BLASPHEMER! This is Father Chuy speaking: You have been spending way too much time hanging out with degenerates like Bustanut joker and RadioHowie. Repent, you sinner!

Called St. Joseph's Catholic Church-Roseburg; Evening Mass is at 8pm. Be there: Light 30 candles and confess all your sins!

Keep this behavior up and next thing we know you'll be mounting a car tire on back of your FJR, riding straight to Hell with Eric!
I can't go Father Don! Texas is playing Nebraska and the game is Goooood! :unsure:

How about I schedule repentence for after football season and before Spring Training? ;)

Besides, if I go back in Saint Joseph's down the street after all I've done I'll go up in flames! :eek:

By popular demand, a Darkside FAQ now exists. Have a read HERE and add your pics of your tires if you wish. Feel free to PM me with any questions you feel should be added, (and the answer too if ya got it).

I anoint the following Darksiders as follows -

Smokey2255 - #10 (Smokey's non forum friend #10.5)

Dangerdog - #11

Motofrank - #12

Demetri - #13

Fester - #14

RadioHowie - #15

If you want a number, PM me and post a pic of your tire telling us the type and mileage, I'll add you to the list at the bottom of the FAQ.

Don't want to fill the FAQ with more discussion so I'll add here.

I'm thinking of joining the dark side with this:

exclaim.jpg

Any darksiders have any comments on the benefits or detriments of this tire?

Don't want to fill the FAQ with more discussion so I'll add here.I'm thinking of joining the dark side with this:

exclaim.jpg

Any darksiders have any comments on the benefits or detriments of this tire?
Looks like it will do just fine. Good wet/dry traction and lots of tread blocks, symmetrical, directional, etc. It's rated at 380 for treadwear, but since they rate their own tires, we don't really know how that will stack up against another brand. You'll be the one to tell us how well or poorly it wears in the long run. Should still be double what you see on a moto tire, minimum, and probably much more.

Link to Tire Rack info.

generaltire.gif
bridgestone.gif

gt_exclaim.jpg
bs_g019grid.jpg

Slept on it and thinking about it, I'm wondering about the tread pattern. What is the design purpose of the circumferential 'channels' on tires like the 019 Grid? My understanding is that the pattern on the Exclaim is designed to move water out from under the tire.

Thinking about road noise, I'd think the 'channel' design would be quieter but the 'blockier' pattern on the Grid would be noisier.

And, of course, price is a factor. I can get the exclaim on sale in a couple of weeks for $126, installed! Seems good to me. Haven't got local pricing on the Grid yet.

Once again, over-analysing I'm sure. Guess I should just buy both and run 'em each for 30,000 this summer. :dribble:
If only I had the time. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. just had another thought,

Has braking performance been discussed at all? I'd think that going to a CT would improve braking performance, but by how much, I have no idea.

Slept on it and thinking about it, I'm wondering about the tread pattern. What is the design purpose of the circumferential 'channels' on tires like the 019 Grid? My understanding is that the pattern on the Exclaim is designed to move water out from under the tire.
Thinking about road noise, I'd think the 'channel' design would be quieter but the 'blockier' pattern on the Grid would be noisier.

And, of course, price is a factor. I can get the exclaim on sale in a couple of weeks for $126, installed! Seems good to me. Haven't got local pricing on the Grid yet.

Once again, over-analysing I'm sure. Guess I should just buy both and run 'em each for 30,000 this summer. :dribble:

If only I had the time. :rolleyes:
Its a tyre, eh.

I suspect you are correct that the channels are for noise issues. The BT 019 Grid was about the same price for me in the US as the Exclaim, (ex claim? When was the first claim? Should I worry about future claims, from the ex or otherwise?), but who knows in Canada?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. just had another thought,Has braking performance been discussed at all? I'd think that going to a CT would improve braking performance, but by how much, I have no idea.
Braking performance is fine. Better in some conditions. Stop fretting and just do it! :lol:

Hmmm. just had another thought,Has braking performance been discussed at all? I'd think that going to a CT would improve braking performance, but by how much, I have no idea.
Braking performance is fine. Better in some conditions. Stop fretting and just do it! :lol:
<Darth Vader Voice> "I have you now..."

Wheatie, Eric-OCfjr could sell refrigerators to Eskimos and wall heating units to Bedouins! He is a natural born salesman, he sure has me looking at a car tire on Lucy!

Wheatie, Eric-OCfjr could sell refrigerators to Eskimos and wall heating units to Bedouins! He is a natural born salesman, he sure has me looking at a car tire on Lucy!
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm almost to the point that I am drinking cat's blood with DarkSider's RadioHowie and OCfjr!

I'm almost to the point that I am drinking cat's blood with DarkSider's RadioHowie and OCfjr!
I have one more new Shinko in the loft and then I wiil make the change. Already made the new brake arm. I like the looks of the one RH is using and I found an old fashion tire shop that might be able to modify the contour a little.

Early non ABS bikes lock up the rear pretty easy so I think the extra contact ares is not a bad thing.

I have one more new Shinko in the loft and then I wiil make the change. Already made the new brake arm. I like the looks of the one RH is using and I found an old fashion tire shop that might be able to modify the contour a little.

Early non ABS bikes lock up the rear pretty easy so I think the extra contact ares is not a bad thing.
Remember the big hit song "Pusher Man" by SteppenWolf, where the first fix or hit is always free. Now just imagine Eric-OCfjr singing the lyrics instead of John Kay!

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

"Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the death of Kenobi conversion of Beemerdon, and soon the fall of the rebellion."

"Normal" braking performance is improved. No doubt about it.

BUT, emergency braking performance wil not/should not be affected. I say this because we're talking a motorcycle here.

You crank down on the the front brake on a bike and weight shift is gonna unload that back tire and it's gonna be taken right out of the event. Imagine what happens in a "stoppie".....that basically is what happens in a serious emergency braking situation on a motorcycle.

I don't care if you have a 22 inch wide drag slick back there....when it comes off the ground, it ain't stopping the bike.

Is there a video of a stoppie with a car tire? I'm not sure I believe that. :D

I need video proof<egging him on>...your wise and clear explanation of the physics involved is clearly not enough. :clapping:

Is there a video of a stoppie with a car tire? I'm not sure I believe that. :D
I need video proof<egging him on>...your wise and clear explanation of the physics involved is clearly not enough. :clapping:
Listen up, Toadnipples, your constant stirring-of-the-pot has been monitored, noted, tabulated, collated, filed and forwarded.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU!!!

I have actually activated the rear ABS on my '05 during a moose avoidance maneuver.

It's a three beer story.