Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More on topic stuff. ;)

I decided to join the darkside, but ran into the problem that there are hardly any suitable 205/50-17 tyres being distributed in South Africa. Eventually, with some advice from OCFjr (thanks again!) I found this tyre, a Yokohama AVS dB

mm_AVS_dB_.jpg

When I went to the tyre place this afternoon to order it (they had to get one of the two in the country from up north), the guy I dealt with before was not there and when the new guy heard what the tyre was for, he insisted that it won't work "because the tread and profile is not right for a bike". So I explained about the darksiders and showed him the Darkside FAQ thread. Pretty soon the whole shop was looking at the pictures in amazement. And he ordered the tyre for me. :)

Now just to get a brake tension arm made and I'll be set. Will post pictures once done.

... It's Seems to be exactly like my wife freaking out if I put my shoes on the bed. She won't tell me why it freaks her out, but it damn sure does. Are you my wife? :ph34r:
Because you probably walked through dog-poop sometime through the day without knowing. Wives know stuff (and I'm not a wife - I just have one). No need for thanks, I'm just happy to help.

Now back to scheduled programming. :rolleyes:
A logical deduction, but I left a few details out that might change your conclusion. She had just returned from a shopping trip. The shoes were for her, they were new in the box, and the box was in a mall shopping bag with several other clothing items. I tossed the bag onto the bed and started to put away groceries when I heard a shriek, and that was only the beginning. She didn't have a problem with the bag being on the bed, just the shoes. :dribble:

To bring this back on topic, she thinks this dark side thing is pretty cool.
next time, don't buy combat boots...they have no sense of humor with that... :blink:

I would suggest that the Braking Ability of a CT may well be more determined by the Rubber Compound and Tread Design. That CT was designed with considerable more weight factored to keep it planted and run significant miles. I can for a fact say that the Firestone on the back of my Wing locks quicker than any Bike Tires I've had on previously. And when that rear tire locks at angle, the Bike will try to straighten up on its own. Lot's of Fun!

Just sayin'!

Darksider number <whatever> (first in Africa?) reporting to the mother ship. :) I finally had an opportunity today to take my '07 and the new Yokahama AVS Db to my local Yamaha dealer to have it fitted.

The new and the old:

791360758_2aYNP-M.jpg

That PR2 lasted for 23171km and I have been extremely happy with it (yup, it did not see a whole lot of twisties).

This is the new tyre and the torsion bar I had a local steel place laser cut for me.

791360782_4XYXf-S.jpg
791360774_FbEp3-S.jpg

First, two of the guys tried to mount the tyre.

791360795_ZuGmv-M.jpg

Then they called for help:

791360810_L3UTu-M.jpg

And more help, which finally allowed them to wrestle the tyre onto the rim with no harm to my TyreWatch monitor:

791360818_gsvMN-M.jpg

Tightening the last few things:

791360845_tbMUA-L.jpg

I've only ridden 30km to the work and back today, but so far I have absolutely no complaints. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the knowledge on this topic, but especially thank you to OCFjr for your off-line advice on tyre choice. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Udjeni. You have been added to the FAQ, you are Darksider #1SA. :drinks:

I look forward to reading how your AVS Db holds up and feels as you ride it more.

Great pictures Udjeni. You have been added to the FAQ, you are Darksider #1SA. :drinks:
I look forward to reading how your AVS Db holds up and feels as you ride it more.
This has to be a proud day for both Udjeni and for OCfjr-Eric. 1st FJR car tire conversion in Africa! Is there one on each of the World's Continent's at this point in time?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has to be a proud day for both Udjeni and for OCfjr-Eric. 1st FJR car tire conversion in Africa! Is there one on each of the World's Continent's at this point in time?
We may have South America & Australia covered, but Asia is lagging behind. Not as many FJRs there.

We may have South America & Australia covered, but Asia is lagging behind. Not as many FJRs there.
Not to mention those slackers at McMurdo! Lazy bastards! :****:

Not to mention those slackers at McMurdo! Lazy bastards! :****:
And Eric, thanks to your tutelage: There's a car tire conversion of RadioHowie's for whatever the hell Planet he hails from! "That One" is certainly not of this Earth!!!

And Eric, thanks to your tutelage: There's a car tire conversion of RadioHowie's for whatever the hell Planet he hails from! "That One" is certainly not of this Earth!!!
For the purposes of the Darkside List, resident aliens, with or w/o green cards, are accepted as 'local' of the area in which their current domicile exists. :unsure: RH is covered.

For the purposes of the Darkside List, resident aliens, with or w/o green cards, are accepted as 'local' of the area in which their current domicile exists. :unsure: RH is covered.
As a fellow resident of "Poke" County (Area 51-Southeast), I applaud your magnanimous acceptance of RH.

May the farce be with you...bigjimbiker :yahoo:

As a fellow resident of "Poke" County (Area 51-Southeast), I applaud your magnanimous acceptance of RH.
I've lost time in that County before...
With the assistance of "law enforcement?" Do tell!

I know a guy who missed Sebring one year because his tag was expired, and Polk County housed him for the weekend. A couple of folks he knows had to go get him.

I've lost time in that County before...
With the assistance of "law enforcement?" Do tell!
No, no, not LEO. I was riding along SR 375 and these two black Pave Low Helos were doing manuvers off to the side, then the next thing I know I'm sitting on the ground in this campground that overlooks Area 51, (well, after a hike up the hill), and these two guys are talking to me with a black Suburban behind them and they are telling me I have to go. I'm trying to figure out how I got there, much less where I'm supposed to "go"...

Well, the wheel has been purchased. Now I need to find a rear brake disc. Going the way of FJRONAMISSION, one wheel for MC tire and one for the car tire.

Mark

So who will mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim? Aren't dealerships squeamish about liability? Or are all you guys mounting your own CT's?

I spoke with the guy at the local COSTCO, and he said "bring it in". He had no issues with mounting it other that he was concerned it wouldn't fit on the tire machine properly. I did tell him it was for a trike though................................:) He seemed ready for the challenge.