Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The folks I got my Michelin Pilot A/S 205/50 ZR-17 from and that did the mounting on my 04 FJR last week are very interested in how it works out for me. I have long time dealings with them.

They did put on the work order and had me sign the following statement, " Customer advised that XXX Motorcycles has no liability with this repair. Repair performed as customer request."

The whole deal including the tire, mounting, installing the new brake arm was $375.00. This included removal of the rear caliper and bleeding the brake system.

Given the prices I had been paying for the previous rear tires I was using that lasted about 7000 miles, if this Michelin car tire lasts twice as long I am money ahead. In addition I don't have to worry about replacing a tire on a 10,000 mile trip. That alone is worth a couple of hundred bucks to me.

To date with about 100 miles on the car tire I have the following to say. Below 20 MPH it is different than a bike tire. seems to move around more on the road groves, etc. A little harder to turn, but not bad. Above 20 MPH not much difference, more like getting used to the tire. Really is a very good ride. I am running 30 lbs in the rear and 40 in the front. Seems to work very well for me, but keep in mind Warchild would consider me a 75 year old "pussy" rider.

Longrider

FWIW, it's not necessary to remove the brake caliper or bleed the system. Still, not a terrible price for the work done. The brake tension arm is only two bolts and it slides off, (there is a plastic tie to the brake line). It only needs to be undone on one end to normally pull the wheel, CT or Moto tire.

Pay attention to your tire pressure.

Please be aware of this and sensitive to it being a warning sign!

Appearance doesn't change with a flat tire.

Use a pressure gauge before each ride.
Just anuther reason not to do this silly car tire thing.

;)
So Zenkitty, you bolded 4 items, but write "anuther reason....."

So which singular reason do we apply to the four items you refer to?

"Pay attention to your tire pressure" Sounds like a good thing to do, Moto- OR Car- tire.

"Please be aware of this and sensitive to it being a warning sign!" Any good rider should be sensitive to possible warning signs.

"Appearance doesn't change with a flat tire." Do you use your eyes to measure your tire pressure?

"Use a pressure gauge before each ride." That's something everyone should do.

SO.....which one of the above four items is a good reason to NOT go Darkside?

I've read lots of OPINION why Darksiding is a bad thing, but I don't recall reading any quantitative research against it.
Did not mean to offend :fool: . With the CT on an FJR being such a different concept, it will gather its critics. Also - some of us on the nay side, in our posts, may just be challenging the kool aid drinkers to further a robust discussion of the advantages (and disadvantages) of a car tire on a motorcycle. Your reply is well said. For me... I don't yet see the benefits of using a car tire. Yes, I understand the cost issue of replacing the FJR tires - but for me its not too onerous.

I do applaud the creative in all areas of life. Placing a long life car tire on a motorcycle ranks right up there.

Cheers

Scott

Ok, reminds me I need to go check my tire pressure. :lol:

Meanwhile, getting back on topic....

GET ME A NUMBER, I'm the newest Darksider! B)

Since the local Cycle Gear shop wouldn't mount it I had my friends at the local H-D shop do it. We took extra care because I have a Smartire TPM sensor mounted in the wheel. But it wasn't an issue and it mounted easily and balanced without a problem.

It's a Dunlop Direzza DZ101 ($117 delivered), and I used a stainless steel brake tension arm ($30) supplied by Catfish at Farklemasters.com. With my tail-dragger fuel cell I had to use my cycle jack to get the back up high enough to get the old tire out and the new one in. Using the center-stand alone no longer works for pulling a tire, even with a board under it.

Pics (beer was a nice cold Deschutes Brewing Mirror Pond Pale Ale from Bend OR)...eat your heart out east-coasters....

and remember, "what happens in Gerlach stays in Gerlach", at least until you post it on a forum.

55414d02.jpg

Tension arm side-view comparison

58957567.jpg

Tension arm top-view comparison

eb604461.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the dark side LDRydr.

Remember, you have to start carrying cookies now.
:rolleyes:
Looking back on my 4 months of darksiding, I put just under 8k on the thing. Except for the rough road surface at some traffic lights, I don't even think about it any more. I just twist & go. The one change I have incorporated in my driving style is exaggerating the body english on nearly every turn faster than a snails pace. It felt funny at first, but it keeps the bike more upright. It's a lot easier on the shoulders now that I'm using my weight instead of my muscles to steer.

Thanks again Erik for being the icebreaker!

Brodie

LDRyder, same tire as me. Since I know you'll put miles on faster than me, I'll be interested to hear how it wears, how it holds up, what you get out of it. I don't even have a thousand miles yet, and it's been 4 weeks Friday.

Welcome to the Dark Side!!!!

Brodie, I'm stealing your Vader smilie, or rather, co-stealing it from milan.net. :)

LDRyder, same tire as me. Since I know you'll put miles on faster than me, I'll be interested to hear how it wears, how it holds up, what you get out of it. I don't even have a thousand miles yet, and it's been 4 weeks Friday.
I'll post up here once I have some thoughts, but with a BIG ride coming up it most likely won't be until June. It should have about 11k miles on it by then.

Brodie, I'm stealing your Vader smilie, or rather, co-stealing it from milan.net. :)
Ditto!

Hell's Canyon Rally? I'll be checking your bike out.....
Maybe....they're looking for help in manning a booth about long-distance riding. I know OCfjr is planning on it so I may go help him out. Having my mom living nearby in Joseph is handy, too and she always likes to see her #1 son!

So before anyone says anything, I'm going to have to post that right now I'm running a MT rear.

As a newly minted MSF instructor, the local safety council frowns on instructors running CT's on their machines, apparently it frightens the students and excites the lawyers.

If I'm off on an extended tour the CT is going right back on.

Chris

Got my bike back from the shop yesterday with new tires; Avon Storm on the front and a Stone G019 Grid on the back. Also had new fork seals & front brake pads installed. The shop fabricated a bracket to replace the stock part. Can I be #23? Please. :)

So before anyone says anything, I'm going to have to post that right now I'm running a MT rear.As a newly minted MSF instructor, the local safety council frowns on instructors running CT's on their machines, apparently it frightens the students and excites the lawyers.

If I'm off on an extended tour the CT is going right back on.

Chris
it's all good Chris. The MSF isn't known for outside the box thinking, (just read the cards!), so it's understandable they might have issues with the CT. B) Enjoy your instructing time. Nothing like watching a student 'get it' on the range.

@Ed_Grant - you are Darksider #21 on the official list.

Reno John has his own sinister club with even fewer, but far more twisted members than the Darksiders. He owns two Gen I FJRs. :unsure: Like the founder, SkooterG, he claims to be planning on selling one... Skooter finally gave up on that claim, but RJ is still in denial.

Just got back from a week in AR. Tire performed well as usual. Here's a px from Push Mountain Pixs. I'm not dragging parts but that's becausw I'm a geezer-not the tire's fault.

https://pushmountainpics.dotphoto.com/CPVie...476&Page=1#

It's a Yokohama wth 14,000 miles on it. It has 3/32 (started with 10/32) left all the way across. The wear bars in the center groove are close. Anyone else running Yokohamas with a mileage report? I'll need a new CT soon and am wondering which one to get this time. TIA Ian, Iowa