Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok ya'll it has been 2 weeks and just a few more than 2 thousand miles now since I went to the dark side.

So far I have been called crazy, stupid,

I have been told that it is illegal

Oh yeah "my balls will fall off"

But from my perspective this shit works rather well !

On 3-20-09 I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus mounted. If other tires work better all I can say is WTF.

Setting up for a tight turn can be a challenge but once you get the tire settled just roll on the throttle and hang on. No more wondering if there is going to be enough tire to take all this bike has to offer. The traction coming out of turns is just unbelievable.

I have the rear pressure at 29 PSI now and the turn in is much better but the transition is more abrupt. I am thinking I might want to run it back up some.

I am also picking up some what I think is head-shake at around 120 mph or so but the oscillation is much slower than what I have had on other bikes. I am betting that this can be cured with some adjustments in tire pressure and/or suspension adjustments.

I am also picking up some what I think is head-shake at around 120 mph or so but the oscillation is much slower than what I have had on other bikes. I am betting that this can be cured with some adjustments in tire pressure and/or suspension adjustments.
I suspect what you are feeling at high speeds is a slight side to side shimmy from the rear tire. I have noticed this in early testing and additional pressure cures it. If you were planning to run those speeds often, a few more psi would be a good thing. The effect is the same as with a moto tire with low pressure.

Oh crap, you believed that bull about sport-touring? Sorry to hear that. Bags, adj. windscreen, 600 lbs. Dooood, it's a touring bike.
It's no more a touring bike than it is a sport bike. This is why it's called a sport-tourer. That Yamaha tried to lean it more towards the sport side is reflected in them naming it a Super Sport Tourer. IMHO it was more of an attempt by Yamaha to separate the FJR from the ST1300.

Of course, maybe you were just trying to get someone riled up about this. :)

IMHO it was more of an attempt by Yamaha to separate the FJR from the ST1300.
Of course, maybe you were just trying to get someone riled up about this. :)
You might be on to something there. ;)

IMHO, there is a lot of hype in the marketing. To a large degree, it's what you want it to be.

Tire is on the wheel, not yet on the bike. Twenty bucks to mount. Gotta balance it myself, and still got to make my brake arm.
Should be Dark by tomorrow at the latest!
So some weird guy showed up the other day with what looks like used to be a motorcycle. He offered to let me ride it so I threw on my trusty AGV (SNELL '95!) and tucked the laces into my sneakers (I'm all about the safety!) and threw a leg over. Do Not Like! But it's not nearly as bad as I would think from just looking at it. On perfectly flat roads I think with cruise control you could nap comfortably, but on rough roads it will keep you awake. It tracks and darts and doesn't like whatever direction you're wanting to go. I'd like to see how it does at more sporting lean angles, but I'm not brave enough to do that.

So some weird guy showed up the other day with what looks like used to be a motorcycle. He offered to let me ride it so I threw on my trusty AGV (SNELL '95!) and tucked the laces into my sneakers (I'm all about the safety!) and threw a leg over. Do Not Like! But it's not nearly as bad as I would think from just looking at it. On perfectly flat roads I think with cruise control you could nap comfortably, but on rough roads it will keep you awake. It tracks and darts and doesn't like whatever direction you're wanting to go. I'd like to see how it does at more sporting lean angles, but I'm not brave enough to do that.
Hey Mr. 'Gender not set', fill out the profile a little! :rolleyes:

Interesting observations. I noticed that much more at the very beginning than I do now. Not sure that it's all just me getting used to it. I think the tire breaks in to some degree too and becomes a bit smoother and less darty. It's always been said that it's a little less stable when you're not in a lean of any kind.

Interesting observations. I noticed that much more at the very beginning than I do now. Not sure that it's all just me getting used to it. I think the tire breaks in to some degree too and becomes a bit smoother and less darty. It's always been said that it's a little less stable when you're not in a lean of any kind.
I origionaly bought my fjr as a longdistance rider to keep milage off of my other cycles i figured what the hay it was not crazy expensive like a beemer and catfish boasted its merits pretty confidently. I have been running darkside for about 4 or 5 thousand miles now and ride all sorts of other bikes. the great thing about being a bike mechanic is you get to ride everything. Everyone actually wants you to take their bike for a spin pretty cool. Back to the subject YES I DID NOTICE THE WANDERING TENDENCY OR THE C/T AT FIRST but as i have riddden it i have developed different techniques for dealing with different road surface conditions. on really torn up roads i offset my weight and tip the bike to one side a bit to lessen the effect of the flat bottom of the tire. I also absolutely reject the idea of a c/t being less menuverable than a moto tire. i aint a twisties guy but i have definately flung my fj around like an idiot on many ocasion. The car tire will do way more than most credit it with being able to do. I would be happy to race any of the twisties guys on any bike they choose and i guarantee my fjr with its flat bottom car tire will come out shining like a new penny!!! OH YHEA THE RACE WILL BEGIN IN NEW YORK AND END IN ALASKA !!!!!! haha ha hahha ha!!!! now thats some funny stuff right there!!!

That's my brother, but his gender is still not set. :p

This was his first Darkside test ride, and on residential streets at that. He did comment on returning that he'd forgotten how much he likes the motor!

I would expect to get 20K on a car from a 220 or 240 rated tire, based on my experience with the last sporty car I had, and that was autocrossed on a semi-regular basis. We'll see, though, right?
With the way I've been riding lately, i.e. just to work and the grocery store, not able to get out and about for lack of gas (and tire) money, I get over 10K on the BT-021 rear. I expect to get a LOT more than 20K on a car tire!
I managed to get over 23K miles out of the OEM rear tires (Potenza RE050) on my S2000. These are rated at UTQG - 140. The fronts are still going strong at 29K. :) But I don't drive it hard so YMMV.

These are rated at UTQG - 140.
So are these:

marshmallow.jpg

Ok it looks like I got the high speed wobble taken care of :yahoo:

Changed out the mostly worn out OEM front tire (this cured most of it)

upped the rear tire pressure 1/2 psi at a time until I got to 31.5 this also had the added benefit of smoothing the out the transition going into turns.

added 2 more clicks to the rear rebound damping.

The longer I ride it The better it gets.

Just gotta to love it.

I ordered a Potenza 019 Grid from Tire Rack yesterday and it shipped today. Hope to have it mounted in a few days along with a new front Storm. :)

RadioHowie, Windows 7 home computer crashed again and I'll be in Mexico on Friday. So, please read this 4/9: Screw You!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie, Windows 7 home computer crashed again and I'll be in Mexico on Friday. So, please read this 4/9: Screw You!!!
Funny you mention it, but I yanked Win7 out of my computer two nights ago.....wouldn't run some of my favorite video programs. Dammit.

Oh, yeah---------bite me! :p