Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity, since it is Halloween: Do you Satanic Cat Blood Drinking Car Tire Guys do anything special to celebrate Halloween? Since you CT Compadres are part of a Bizarre Obscure Cult, do you guys ride to a graveyard at midnight and sacrifice a virgin sheep during A Brotherhood of the Square Tires Ritual? Perhaps Druid Crypt Dancing? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!!!
Don, you're not in the Cabal, so you don't get an invite. We don't drink cat blood, as I've explained in the past. All I can say is that we get together with the graduating class from the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal and party.
Hey Eric,

I spoke with my old friend Jenny, and here's what SHE had to say about the "Chrome Removal" comment.....

JennyMccarthyGamblingMain.jpg

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the mouth is open and she's providing hand holds. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, she read the script and took the money. Too late to whine about it now.

Just letting everyone know I still have 3 aluminum bar brake stays left if anyone wants them. I have had mine on for awhile now with no issues and I've had a couple panic stops since.

I'll take $10 plus shipping.

I can provide a pic if anyone wants to see what they look like.

Glen

Just letting everyone know I still have 3 aluminum bar brake stays left if anyone wants them. I have had mine on for awhile now with no issues and I've had a couple panic stops since.

Glen
Glen, shoot me a pic if you would ([email protected]). I have one more set of PR2s to put on my 08 but may go to the CT after that due to getting less miles living in eastern NC (near haulinashe) where the chip seal just eats tires :angry2: . So maybe I will be able to use your brake stay instead of buying one from farklemasters.

doctorj

Glen
Glen, shoot me
Rather a drastic request ain't it doc? How aboot he just gives ya jimmykick to the applesack?

Glen
Glen, shoot me
Rather a drastic request ain't it doc? How aboot he just gives ya jimmykick to the applesack?
Excellent suggestion...

BTW, any talk of a "Darksider" slappin' a big ole knobby truck tire on that new Tenere?

Glen
Glen, shoot me
Excellent suggestion...

BTW, any talk of a "Darksider" slappin' a big ole knobby truck tire on that new Tenere?
yeah, I think I can already feel that jimmykick, so no shooting required I spose. No knobby truck tire for me new Tenere. Well at least for a while anyway.

doctorj

I haven't read through the whole 80+ pages so if this has been covered, I apologize. I've been running PR2s on my FJR and start getting that weird front tire wear near the end of the tire's life but way before the wear bars are reached. So, has there been a general consensus about a front tire that gives the best wear when running a car tire on the rear? If I do switch to a CT, it will likely be the Exalto A/S from following a few of these threads, but I'd like to get a better wearing or more even wearing front tire. So any suggestions?

doctorj

I think I have a buyer for my 04 FJR. He won't want it with a CT so I'll pull it off and replace it with an Avon. Wondering if anyone would like to have the CT. It's a Michelin with about 7/10 left. All I need is the price of shipping.

(You need this Train!) :rolleyes: Ian, Iowa

Glen
I should have stated that I would prefer a PM since I don't check this board that often, thanks!

I haven't read through the whole 80+ pages so if this has been covered, I apologize. I've been running PR2s on my FJR and start getting that weird front tire wear near the end of the tire's life but way before the wear bars are reached. So, has there been a general consensus about a front tire that gives the best wear when running a car tire on the rear? If I do switch to a CT, it will likely be the Exalto A/S from following a few of these threads, but I'd like to get a better wearing or more even wearing front tire. So any suggestions?

doctorj
Front tire wear doesn't seem to be altered by CT use, so what works for everyone else will still work for you, dependent on riding styles.

I have ~14k on a PR2 that is currently even... But the PR2 has some strange characteristics that I've noticed. At the end of my 11k rally ride, with a lot of high cross winds across NE, WY and UT the front tire was pretty uneven and ugly looking. I figured I would take that tire off when I got home and toss it, though not to the wear bars. Imagine my surprise when I got home and I discovered that the 800 mile ride home in a mix of slab and twisties under normal riding conditions had evened out the wear and it looked essentially normal again! It's still on the bike and doing fine. :blink:

While no front tire will last the full life of the rear CT, the front does impact feel of the bike. A tire that offers quick, smooth turn in, still has that feel with the CT on the back. A crappy, worn tire on the front will make the whole bike feel worse with a CT too. Think of it this way, the front is where you initiate turn in by counter steering. The rear is just following alone. Yes, we have learned that rear tire profile does make a difference in turn in effort. But it's still fine to go with your favorite front tire.

At this point, the PR2 is the longest wearing front out there, but it has it's oddities too. I was pretty pleased with the even wear on the Conti Motion that I ran with the CT before the PR2. It lasted 10k and never got funky wear, plus is a nicely priced tire. The BT-021 front sucked, as did the RoadSmart front. The Me880R front only lasted 10k for me and wore with a flat spot on the center of the front, as well as having noticeably less wet traction.

Hope that helps.

Glen
I should have stated that I would prefer a PM since I don't check this board that often, thanks!
I sent a PM yesterday.

doctorj

doctorj
Front tire wear doesn't seem to be altered by CT use, so what works for everyone else will still work for you, dependent on riding styles.

I have ~14k on a PR2 that is currently even... But the PR2 has some strange characteristics that I've noticed. At the end of my 11k rally ride, with a lot of high cross winds across NE, WY and UT the front tire was pretty uneven and ugly looking. I figured I would take that tire off when I got home and toss it, though not to the wear bars. Imagine my surprise when I got home and I discovered that the 800 mile ride home in a mix of slab and twisties under normal riding conditions had evened out the wear and it looked essentially normal again! It's still on the bike and doing fine. :blink:

While no front tire will last the full life of the rear CT, the front does impact feel of the bike. A tire that offers quick, smooth turn in, still has that feel with the CT on the back. A crappy, worn tire on the front will make the whole bike feel worse with a CT too. Think of it this way, the front is where you initiate turn in by counter steering. The rear is just following alone. Yes, we have learned that rear tire profile does make a difference in turn in effort. But it's still fine to go with your favorite front tire.

At this point, the PR2 is the longest wearing front out there, but it has it's oddities too. I was pretty pleased with the even wear on the Conti Motion that I ran with the CT before the PR2. It lasted 10k and never got funky wear, plus is a nicely priced tire. The BT-021 front sucked, as did the RoadSmart front. The Me880R front only lasted 10k for me and wore with a flat spot on the center of the front, as well as having noticeably less wet traction.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does. I can get up to 10,000 or maybe more with a front PR2 but the last 2-3K feel strange in handling due to the middle ridge that develops. The chip seal here in eastern NC eats tires and maybe is eating the softer compound on the dual compound tires like this. I was just considering a different front to combo with the CT (Exalto) and wondered if someone had the magic fix. If/when I do the CT, I will do some experimentation with front tires to see which work best with the reat CT.

doctorj

The chip seal here in eastern NC eats tires and maybe is eating the softer compound on the dual compound tires like this. I was just considering a different front to combo with the CT (Exalto) and wondered if someone had the magic fix. If/when I do the CT, I will do some experimentation with front tires to see which work best with the reat CT.
New data is always welcome. In regards to the dual compound, it is my understanding that no front tire is dual compound, including the PR2. The rear's are dual compound, just not the front. Ditto with RS and BT-021, etc.

The chip seal here in eastern NC eats tires and maybe is eating the softer compound on the dual compound tires like this. I was just considering a different front to combo with the CT (Exalto) and wondered if someone had the magic fix. If/when I do the CT, I will do some experimentation with front tires to see which work best with the reat CT.
New data is always welcome. In regards to the dual compound, it is my understanding that no front tire is dual compound, including the PR2. The rear's are dual compound, just not the front. Ditto with RS and BT-021, etc.
Nope. You understand wrong. PR2 front is definitely dual compound.

Check it out on their web site. One of the few fronts that is DC, though.

And FWIW, my PR2s with > 8k miles on them has no center ridge in front at all. Perfectly round still. The rear has the standard flat center and is wearing out on the sides fastest. I'm sure they both have another 3-4k miles in them if I'd go in a straight line. Probably only 1k left in the back one if I keep hitting the corners hard.

Wear patterns on any tire will depend on your mix of riding habits and road surfaces.

Nope. You understand wrong. PR2 front is definitely dual compound.

Check it out on their web site. One of the few fronts that is DC, though.

And FWIW, my PR2s with > 8k miles on them has no center ridge in front at all. Perfectly round still. The rear has the standard flat center and is wearing out on the sides fastest. I'm sure they both have another 3-4k miles in them if I'd go in a straight line. Probably only 1k left in the back one if I keep hitting the corners hard.

Wear patterns on any tire will depend on your mix of riding habits and road surfaces.
Well, heck, I must be doing something right or wrong then. :p I also run PR2s on my ST1300 and don't get the same pattern of wear on the front. Now I am convinced this tire stuff is some giant conspiracy :blink: . Fred, can we trade PR2 fronts after 5K, :rolleyes: ?

doctorj

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a drop in fuel mileage. Mine went dropped 3-4mpg, I assume because it is a heavier tire and different diameter. I like that my speedo is right now at least.

By my calculations it is still cheaper to run a CT, assuming I get 20K+ out of it, and it keeps me from having to get the new tires mounted 3-4 times a year :(

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a drop in fuel mileage. Mine went dropped 3-4mpg, I assume because it is a heavier tire and different diameter. I like that my speedo is right now at least.

By my calculations it is still cheaper to run a CT, assuming I get 20K+ out of it, and it keeps me from having to get the new tires mounted 3-4 times a year :(
If your speedo calibration has changed, have you taken that into account on your mpg figure? Your odometer will have changed as well (saying you've done fewer miles on a given journey). Don't know what the proportions are (I'd guess 5% ish) so your fuel consumption will seem worse by that percentage even if it's the same.

That's if you're using odometer miles v. fuel in the tank.

If you're using the bike's computer reading, again this will be different, but more difficult to calculate. Since the bike is now higher geared, the throttle setting will need to be a little higher to maintain the same real road speed or the indicated speed; in either case the computer will see that as more fuel used per its odometer reading of miles, so will indicate a poorer mpg figure.

I've read page 1 through page 62 in the last three days. Also read the FAQ. Determined to finish page 63 through end tonight because I want to order a CT tonight!!!! Finally made up my mind to go darkside, lurked a few times in early '09 but haven't been on forum much this year. Ordered a couple of 21" spoons and a yellow thing from nomartirechanger this weekend cause the two places I have already checked with locally said "NO". Headed to Home Depot or Lowe's later tonight for 3/4" x 3/16" x 12" stainless flat bar. A friend has a bead breaker and he will lend a hand to changing out tire.

In the first 62 pages it is mentioned the Yokohama Advon S4 wears to fast, so it is crossed off list. Don't know why, but the original BT 019 Grid which started this thread just doesn't appeal to me either, although it seems to be usable for a very long time.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is appealing. Saw one user has started using a Falken ZE512 around page 60 or so, and is appealing to me as well. I know it's vain, but I like the looks of these two tires. That's why I'm interested in them.

How have these two tires held up?

Haven't found the one thing I really want to know yet, although in might reside between page 63 and page 82. Has a favorite tire been identified yet?

Hope these few questions can be answered while I finish reading the remaining 20 pages.

Thanks,

tripntx