Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@FredW - Thanks for the correction.

@Kirrilian - I didn't notice a significant change in mpg. Thought so at first, but it turned out to be the E10 change. Went out of state and mpg went back to my normal levels.

@tripntx - The Michelin Exalto has some fans, including myself, but I have only 14-15k on it so far. Check out the FAQ too. It may be a faster way to answer your questions and shows most of the tires currently in use.

Well, heck, I must be doing something right or wrong then. :p I also run PR2s on my ST1300 and don't get the same pattern of wear on the front. Now I am convinced this tire stuff is some giant conspiracy :blink: . Fred, can we trade PR2 fronts after 5K, :rolleyes: ?

doctorj
I don't think it's about right or wrong. It's just too many variables to worry about. Tires are voodoo, black magic, inexplicable, etc. etc.

@tripntx - The Michelin Exalto has some fans, including myself, but I have only 14-15k on it so far. Check out the FAQ too. It may be a faster way to answer your questions and shows most of the tires currently in use.
Any difference in profile between Pilot Sport A/S versus Pilot Exalto A/S? It appears they just have a different tread pattern, and it's hard to tell from photo's what the profile is between the two.

I'm on page 67 now, and have already started coming across Exalto being mentioned, as well as you swapping to it after 36k on BT019.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a drop in fuel mileage. Mine went dropped 3-4mpg, I assume because it is a heavier tire and different diameter. I like that my speedo is right now at least.

By my calculations it is still cheaper to run a CT, assuming I get 20K+ out of it, and it keeps me from having to get the new tires mounted 3-4 times a year :(
If your speedo calibration has changed, have you taken that into account on your mpg figure? Your odometer will have changed as well (saying you've done fewer miles on a given journey). Don't know what the proportions are (I'd guess 5% ish) so your fuel consumption will seem worse by that percentage even if it's the same.

That's if you're using odometer miles v. fuel in the tank.

If you're using the bike's computer reading, again this will be different, but more difficult to calculate. Since the bike is now higher geared, the throttle setting will need to be a little higher to maintain the same real road speed or the indicated speed; in either case the computer will see that as more fuel used per its odometer reading of miles, so will indicate a poorer mpg figure.
That's a good point and I agree with what you're saying, I just didn't want to run a CT to "save money" and then get worse fuel mileage which would end up costing me more in the long run.

Any difference in profile between Pilot Sport A/S versus Pilot Exalto A/S? It appears they just have a different tread pattern, and it's hard to tell from photo's what the profile is between the two.

I'm on page 67 now, and have already started coming across Exalto being mentioned, as well as you swapping to it after 36k on BT019.
Tire Rack has great, detailed info and better pics. Check out their site and look at the specifications for the tires you find interesting. Yes, the Pilot Sport A/S has some differences from the Exalto. Namely that the former is dual compound and the latter is not. Note that the harder compound is on the outside edges on a CT, rather than in the middle with a Moto tire, but this has not proved to be an issue so far from what the Pilot Sport A/S riders have said.

I haven't ridden the Pilot Sport A/S, but comments lead me to believe the Exalto has slightly more responsive turn in. I.E. more "flickable".

Tire Rack has great, detailed info and better pics. Check out their site and look at the specifications for the tires you find interesting. Yes, the Pilot Sport A/S has some differences from the Exalto. Namely that the former is dual compound and the latter is not. Note that the harder compound is on the outside edges on a CT, rather than in the middle with a Moto tire, but this has not proved to be an issue so far from what the Pilot Sport A/S riders have said.

I haven't ridden the Pilot Sport A/S, but comments lead me to believe the Exalto has slightly more responsive turn in. I.E. more "flickable".
Thanks, flickable is something worth keeping if found in a CT, so I guess the Exalto will be the one. Will know for sure by the time I finish reading this thread. Currently on pg 75. Really like the tread "pattern" on the Sport, but the looks of a tire aren't that important.

I'm VERY happy with my Michelin Power A/S Plus.

11,000 miles with ZERO visible wear, honest-to-goodness "chicken strips" ( :lol: )

I figure at this rate, I'll easily see 40k miles on the A/S Plus. I expect it to be on the bike when I cross over the 100k mark on the odo.

I couldn't be happier with this tire. I like that it's dual-compound, that it's uni-directional and that it's has a semi-rounded profile. You'd swear Michelin made it for the FJR.

There you go! I was hoping some of the users would chime in. The differences in CTs can be subtle or very noticeable to riders. It's kind of hard to really say what works best at this point. Next summer we may have a Darkside Gather and do some comparisons. The BT-019G was fine, just took some getting used to. I suspect the Pilot A/S is as good or better than the BT-019G was, but to me the Exalto is as good new as the BT-019G was at the end of it's life after I had 'shaped' the corners down with hard riding in the twisties and a low pressure ride.If you like the tread pattern on the Pilot Sport A/S, go for it. It is a proven tire at this point. Best is subjective!!

Finally finished reading all 84 pages.

Oh well, ordered the exalto before radiohowie chimed in. Really like the looks of the sport better, but i'll be looking at the road ahead of me instead of the rear tire on my bike. It'll take a few years before I'm ready for a new one, so I hope I grow fonder of its pattern.

Ordered the Exalto from www.discounttires.com for $160.25 shipped discounttires Exalto clicky

Picked up for 3/4" flat stock this evening, spoons ordered over weekend, tire tonight, so I'm in. Will post pic and request DS number once mounted.

Trip,

Good for you for reading the whole thread. That is what is called due diligence. I read the entire thread multiple times before I decided to change, but of course the thread was much smaller back then given I am Darksider #3, and the second person to go dark in the USA after OcFjr.

I am currently at 33K on my Bridgestone Potenza Grid 019. I have used it gently in the Land of Enchantment Rally, LowCal 250, Wild Wild West Rally, and the Iron Butt 5000, where it dealt with everything from 15 miles of unmaintained Wyoming Ranch dirt roads on the way to the Ames Monument to the Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Highway in Montana to torrential rains heading from Atlanta to the finish in Spartanburg. I have also used it for 3000 miles while completing 3 of my 4 Season Saddle Sore rides. Not exactly easy treatment.

I expect to get 40K+ miles out of it. I will be changing it out before the Iron Butt Rally next June. All in all I am 100 percent satisfied. Like Eric, I haven't even dropped it in the parking lot. It took me a while to get used to, but has become 100 percent normal.

PS-dont forget to contact me if you want the contact information to get your Darkside sticker. So cool that even Tom Austin has one....I gave it to him as a present at Gerlachfest.

That's a good point and I agree with what you're saying, I just didn't want to run a CT to "save money" and then get worse fuel mileage which would end up costing me more in the long run.
The change in your odometer mileage reporting would be the same as the change to your speedometer. That's not to say that the errors will be the same. Only the difference caused by the tire size change would be the same, which is what you want to know for the difference in fuel mileage. So, if you can determine the change in your speedo, apply the same relative correction factor to the odo.

Example:

At a known (GPS referenced) speed of 60 mph your speedometer used to report 64 mph, but after the tire swap it then reports 61 mph. That represents a ~ 5% decrease in reported speed. Therefore, your odometer will also report 5% lower, and your mpg calcs will be 5% worse than it was with the old tire, regardless of which is more accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that I ride 99% slab, and usually put in 20K+ miles per year, I have found this thread very interesting. I am toying with the idea for next season.

How could they fall off, my wife keeps then stashed someplace secret, or at least I assume so, since I haven't seen them in years.

Considering that I ride 99% slab, and usually put in 20K+ miles per year, I have found this thread very interesting. I am toying with the idea for next season.

I went darkside this fall before going up to the Vancouver shindig, and have no regrets. Hell they even let me into and out of Canada.

And my last ride before putting her to sleep for the winter was a real twisty thing with a group from pnwrider.com. Two sport bikes, two FJR's with CT's and two enduros and the FJR's were right there with the hooligans when we reached the destination.

Go for it.

Finally finished reading all 84 pages.

Oh well, ordered the exalto before radiohowie chimed in. Really like the looks of the sport better, but i'll be looking at the road ahead of me instead of the rear tire on my bike. It'll take a few years before I'm ready for a new one, so I hope I grow fonder of its pattern.

Ordered the Exalto from www.discounttires.com for $160.25 shipped discounttires Exalto clicky

Picked up for 3/4" flat stock this evening, spoons ordered over weekend, tire tonight, so I'm in. Will post pic and request DS number once mounted.
You won't regret the Exalto. I only have 7K (kms) on mine but still looks new, and I am very happy with it. Rides just like a Moto tire. My buddies are afraid to try it.............they think I've been to see a witch doctor. It's funny how their response changes after they get left behind in the twisty parts :) Works very well into the minus temps up here in Kanada :) Although you won't have to worry bout that down there.

You won't regret the Exalto. I only have 7K (kms) on mine but still looks new, and I am very happy with it. Rides just like a Moto tire. My buddies are afraid to try it.............they think I've been to see a witch doctor. It's funny how their response changes after they get left behind in the twisty parts :) Works very well into the minus temps up here in Kanada :) Although you won't have to worry bout that down there.
I think your right, I will not regret getting it. Going DS for novelty (two friends have offered to help mount it but one is scared i'll go up in flames) as well as save money in the long run, and it was lower cost than the sport since the exalto was only $160 shipped to my door. Currently have a PR2C on front, not sure yet what I'll place on it when ready for replacement in 2k miles.

154519_158202244223978_100001026116712_314594_2432708_n.jpg

75142_158234367554099_100001026116712_314712_4333545_n.jpg

Tripntx has gone to the DarkSide!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's installed, was only able to ride 20 miles this evening. Really like it, different feeling for sure, but very nice cruising. Give me my number and add me to the list of the cool Darksiders :))