Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went riding today and really like the tire. It handles very well.

KENT1103.jpg

KENT1105.jpg

KENT1107.jpg

So glad I tried this.

Well, I get my brake stay in the mail soon, but I've got one more set of PR2s to use and then will order the Exalto Pilot A/S. I will let you guys know later when I do this. I am planning on duct taping me testicles to me body just in case.

doctorj

@tripntx - Welcome to the Darkside. You are Darksider #37 and have been added to the FAQ list.

Pro: easier to get on center stand

Con: might slightly raise seat height

5'7" and 170#, so the easier to get on center stand is very much appreciated.

I am planning on duct taping me testicles to me body just in case.

doctorj
Don't be making excuses for your private enjoyment behaviors . . . . And keep it to yerself, ya perv!!!! :D
Well I hadn't actually thought about trying it yet since the thought of taking off the tape just sounds like more pain than I want. But since you mentioned it, hmmmm----naw. I will just take me chances with the CT.

doctorj

Hey All,

I've been watching this thread for 6 months or so. At first I thought that's some crazy shit but for some reason I kept getting sucked backed to read more.

Then a month or so ago, forum member Kirrilian had a couple of extra brake straps for sale so I thought I'd pick one up....just in case I ever decided to give it a try. What the hell, I'll only be out a few bucks if I don't use it. Then somebody says to go to the tirerack.com to check out tire specs and prices. Oh hell, what can it hurt. Next thing I know there's a new Michelin Exalto A/S on my doorstep. Hell, I can always sell it on ebay if I decide not to use it. I wonder who I thought I was kidding ! !

Well, today was an uncommonly nice winter day in Nebraska so I naturally I rolled the FJR out for a nice ride. Nice long rides gives a guy time to think and by the time I got home there was only one thing to do. Roll the ole gal on to the lift table and pull that rear wheel. Then on over to the local independent motorcycle dealer where my good buddy in the shop mounted and balanced my new Michelin in 10 minutes flat ! ! I couldn't believe it after reading some of the horror stories on the forum about how tough mounting the car tire on a motorcycle rim can be. He literally had the old tire off and the new tire on the rim in just minutes. He aired it up, popped it on the spin balancer where it took 3/4 of an ounce of weight, and handed it to me before I could even think about finishing the cold Killians Red that I was sucking down.

Back to my shop, wheel back on the bike, snap a quick picture with my cell phone and hit the road. By now it was dark, temp down to 45 degrees and the wind was blowing hard, about 25 to 35 mph; not ideal test riding conditions. I was simply astounded at the ride. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was just the same only a tiny bit different. I was really expecting some significantly different handling characteristics. Nothing, it was just another tire. Now admittedly, a 25 mile ride in this wind on a cool winter day could not be considered a valid test ride but I can certainly say that so far I'm happy. I did notice that at slower speeds around town, 20 to 30 mph, it is noticeably different. It kind of wants to go straight or something?? Again, no big deal, just different. At highway speed I couldn't tell much difference. I really couldn't detect any heaviness or stiffness when initiating a turn as others had reported with different brands of tires.

So sign me up as a Darksider. Here's my one crappy cell phone picture. If I have any profound thoughts (doubtful) after getting some miles on this tire I will post them up to add to the collective wisdom of the list. At this point I can say I'm excited about having a good handling tire with a life expectancy of 30 to 40 thousand miles.

And lastly a thanks to all those ahead of me who took the time and effort to research the issue of running a CT on an FJR. Without you guys it wouldn't be possible for me to whip this together in a couple of hours and come out with a big grin on my face ! ! !

2010-12-03_17-28-12_988.jpg

Later,

georgee2

North Platte, Nebraska

Welcome to the DarkSide georgee2. I have added you to the FAQ and you are DarkSider #38.

This thread and the FAQ were created for riders like you. The ability to find a new idea, go from "ya gotta be kidding" to "maybe" to "hell, I'm going to try it" is what sharing the information and our collective experiences is all about. I look forward to reading your future comments. :good:

I am abnout 90% sure that as soon as the rear tire I have on now is fried, I will be going over to the darkside. Looking forward to be a "Test Pilot." (Though I know I am late to the party).

Thanks for the link Ray!! some very interesting reading......(yes I shamelessly stole my new avatar from the site)I'm not sure I'll go back to a Moto tire myself. Working on planning a trip out to Goose Bay and back through Newfoundland. BTW.....rode into work last Saturday to give her a final "wash", and rode home in snow flurries! The Exalto handled it very well.....over 10K on it and it still looks new.

Last edited by a moderator:
What pressure range seems to be the best for the Exalto? IIRC, Kirrilian told me it makes a big difference in handling i.e. more than the motorcycle tire.

doctorj

Good to see you RogDeb. Both of you, though Deb has a cuter ass. ;)

i've been running the Exalto at 31-32 psi and am happy with the ride. Pretty much the same pressure as the BT-019G, but the Exalto is more responsive to turn in and just a more "flickable" ride, to borrow FJRONAMISSION's term. Some have been playing around with max pressures to keep the tire more 'rounded', but I've found happiness with the tire flexing, thus allowing full tread contact at low lean angles.

Go for it TriggerT, you won't look back.

I've found the exalto to run really nice at 32 psi. When I first put it on, it was at around 40 psi. At that pressure, you could really feel the "sqareness" of the tire. Now, it is hardly noticable.

For those who think a car tire is a passing fad in this FJR community, where we will eventually tire of the harshness of the ride and trickle back to a rounded profile of a motorcycle tire - like God intended, think again.

We like the performance and handling these meats give us!
yahoo.gif

I was forced back to a MC tire when I replace my wrecked '06 with another one. It had the Metzler Roadtech rear on with about 1k when I got it a month ago - just getting a flat spot started down the middle. I never felt planted on this tire. My last bike had a 019 Grid, and with my 10k worth of miles I never had it slip on me, it inspired a lot of confidence in the way it handled. With this new bike, another '06, I don't trust the MC tire. We've been through some rain in the past few weeks and I felt like it was going to let go several times. With 1500 or so miles I put on it it looks like a poorly cupped front tire, all misshapen with a definite flat spot, horribly worn just off the flat spot - the sipes nearly gone, and plenty of met near the edge. With the Rifle windshield I can hear the tire howling when I lean just a little bit left or right, and that's at 44 psi.

Today I am going back to the superior car tire, this time with the Michelin Exalto AS. I ain't never going back to a motorcycle tire with this bike! I've got several Avon Storms take off tires in my back yard just rotting away. I pulled them off when I had a trip coming up that would wear them out before I got home. With the car tire I don't have to worry about rear tire life.

Eric, thank you for starting this madness way back when, it's been fun!
tongue.gif

Brodie