Goodby Stock Saddle...Hello Corbin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew71

Reaction score
So far so good on my weekly commute. I'm digging this new saddle. :yahoo:

P4230002.jpg

P4230003.jpg

P4230004.jpg

I know this has been covered here before, but since you started this thread I may as well get your $.02. I'm a short guy so ground clearance is an "issue" with me. Would the Corbin improve or hamper your ability to flat foot the FJR? Is the front narrower or wider than stock? Is it harder than the stock seat? What makes it better? Thanks for humoring me.

I also picked up a used Corbin and am wondering if any of you Corbin owners find that the leather seating surface is slippery in comparison to the stock OEM seat?

My pillion says she feels in danger because she slides around on the seat too much during braking and acceleration. I'm wondering if the previous owner may have applied a coat of armor-all before selling it???

Any suggestions for cleaning the leather seating surfaces??

I know this has been covered here before, but since you started this thread I may as well get your $.02. I'm a short guy so ground clearance is an "issue" with me. Would the Corbin improve or hamper your ability to flat foot the FJR? Is the front narrower or wider than stock? Is it harder than the stock seat? What makes it better? Thanks for humoring me.
Phil, the Corbin will lower the seat height about 3/4" lower than the stock seat (a guess) because you have to remove the adjustment bracket. I'm 6' 3" so flat-footing the Feej was never an issue. But for me, lowering my center of gravity has also translated into improved handling. I dunno...she just "feels' like she's sticking into turns a bit better.

The front portion of the seat is about the same width, but the portion that actually contacts your ass is wider and more anatomically correct. The foam cushioning is firmer, but it provides more support. I'm 250lbs so while the stock seat was more squishy, it didn't provide the support I was looking for. After about 30 or so miles, I'd pick up "hotspots" in each butt cheek right under the hip joints. I don't get that sensation with the Corbin, in part because of the improved foam support, but mostly because of the wider seat. But, as has been stated before, only time will tell.

So, "better" is a very subjective term. Some hate the Corbin, while some love it. I took a chance and so far its paying off.

While the Corbin does dispense with the adjustment bracket that's used with the stock seat and lowers the height of the seat, it pushes your legs further out due to the increased width. This can create issues for some, but I think overall, there's a net gain on the ability to flat foot. My Corbin appears to be slightly harder than the stock seat, but with that, I get better arse support throughout the day and more comfortable miles.

Not got my FJR yet... hopefully today... but I wanted to add my 2c worth.

My FJR when I pick it up will be my third bike with a Corbin. I really like what they do with a seat, but I learned with my first one that it's VITALLY important to have the suspension dialed in perfectly for your weight or you're never going to get comfy on it.

Because the foam in the Corbin coupled with the leather (especially after a seasoning in the sun) is harder than a stock seat for 99% of applications, if the suspension isn't just perfect then you'll feel road irregularities a lot more which leads to a "busy butt" feeling. When I got my first Corbin on a Nighthawk 750, I went back and forth with the stock seat quite a bit because it was just more comfortable to me, but then one day I had that "eureka" moment when I fiddled with the suspension settings after having a heavier pillion than usual, and accidentally adjusted the rebound just one click too few... suddenly the Corbin felt like a totally different seat. While still harder than stock, the feeling of connection with the bike was a lot better. I rode the Corbin then up until the day I sold the bike.

I don't really notice my legs being pushed out on mine. It definitely makes me closer to the ground. I'm about 5'10" so I could flat foot it without issues before the seat.

As far as the sliding someone said above, yes I notice that too although I like it. I bought the leather conditioner from Corbin, but really any leather stuff would probably be sufficient. The seat was a little more tacky prior to the first application of the conditioner and appears to get a little less slippery as it wears.

Seat still has only about 400 miles on it, but I do love it especially with the smuggler tiny backrest on it.

I don't find my seat any stiffer than stock and that may have to do with the fact that the stock seat only had 7k miles on it and not completely broken in? Not sure, but I feel this seat is softer with the perfect ass pocket for me. Like I said above I love being able to slide back a bit and contact the smuggler, makes me feel nice and snug in there! :p

Nice looking saddle... not that I'm looking. :rolleyes:

Enjoy, and ride safe.
+1... Corbin makes some nice lookin' saddles BUTT-

I have to admit that I read the title and thought... "Goodbye wood... Hello brick"

I remember searching endless thoughts on seats, I think I wore "Google" out. I will say

that they look nice. They also look like they have made some nice changes, but I have to

ask "How do they feel on extended rides?" I also realize every rider is different in what fits

their own riding needs. I have never ridden an FJR with a Corbin, so my questions are sincere.

Are there any LD riders who favor Corbin? I ask this question with a fairness to all who google

looking for the right seat for themselves. I LOVE my Russell Day Long on my FJR and am now shop-

ping for a more comfortable seat for another bike. Should I consider a Corbin for long distance?

I always keep the stock seat for normal riding- but for distance... I need comfort.

Does the Corbin work for you all? And for how long? Is there a "Break-in-period"?

Thanks,Tony

Nice looking saddle... not that I'm looking. :rolleyes:

Enjoy, and ride safe.
+1... Corbin makes some nice lookin' saddles BUTT-

I have to admit that I read the title and thought... "Goodbye wood... Hello brick"

I remember searching endless thoughts on seats, I think I wore "Google" out. I will say

that they look nice. They also look like they have made some nice changes, but I have to

ask "How do they feel on extended rides?" I also realize every rider is different in what fits

their own riding needs. I have never ridden an FJR with a Corbin, so my questions are sincere.

Are there any LD riders who favor Corbin? I ask this question with a fairness to all who google

looking for the right seat for themselves. I LOVE my Russell Day Long on my FJR and am now shop-

ping for a more comfortable seat for another bike. Should I consider a Corbin for long distance?

I always keep the stock seat for normal riding- but for distance... I need comfort.

Does the Corbin work for you all? And for how long? Is there a "Break-in-period"?

Thanks,Tony
Plan on a few thousand miles of break-in. I had a Corbin on my FZ6 and have one on my FJR; the FZ Corbin took around 3k miles to start feeling good while my FJR's Corbin is doing the same (just passed 3k miles on it). Corbin seats are definitely a love 'em or hate 'em affair. I'd love to try a Sargent seat one of these days as a point of comparison (they look just as good as Corbins). I do supplement my Corbin with an Alaskan Butt Pad...probably don't need to, but the ABP is really nice to have.

I suppose if I were closer to Cali, I might consider a Russell and a custom fit, but for now, the Corbin suits me perfectly.

Phil, the Corbin will lower the seat height about 3/4" lower than the stock seat (a guess) because you have to remove the adjustment bracket. I'm 6' 3" so flat-footing the Feej was never an issue. But for me, lowering my center of gravity has also translated into improved handling. I dunno...she just "feels' like she's sticking into turns a bit better.

The front portion of the seat is about the same width, but the portion that actually contacts your ass is wider and more anatomically correct. The foam cushioning is firmer, but it provides more support. I'm 250lbs so while the stock seat was more squishy, it didn't provide the support I was looking for. After about 30 or so miles, I'd pick up "hotspots" in each butt cheek right under the hip joints. I don't get that sensation with the Corbin, in part because of the improved foam support, but mostly because of the wider seat. But, as has been stated before, only time will tell.

So, "better" is a very subjective term. Some hate the Corbin, while some love it. I took a chance and so far its paying off.
With the adjustment bracket being removed and the seat lowered by the 3/4", did you notice any different feeling in how your knees were bent?

Is it possible to still use the adjustment bracket to raise the seat height back to stock height for the knees?

With the adjustment bracket being removed and the seat lowered by the 3/4", did you notice any different feeling in how your knees were bent?

Is it possible to still use the adjustment bracket to raise the seat height back to stock height for the knees?
Update....the seat still rocks. We had some serious rain over the last few weeks and the Corbin took it in stride. It didn't soak up any water that I could tell after sitting in a day's worth of downpours at our office. I haven't noticed any real difference in how my knees are bent with the lower height. It continues to be a very comfortable and stable ride.

As for the question of re-using the stock seat bracket, I don't see how that's possible without making a modification to the Corbin seat pan.

New guy here, just picked up my '11 FJR yesterday. I am also "vertically challenged" and the seat height is a VERY SERIOUS concern for me. Although it did not keep me from buying the bike, I know that I will not really feel comfortable with it until I feel more secure regarding the seat height and getting a more positive stance. I am 5'6", with a 30" inseam. I can balance the bike on both tippy toes, or solid on one foot (like at red lights), but I would REALLY like to have both feet (if not completely) at least more solid on the ground.

Even before I purchased the bike, I ordered the Corbin modular front saddle and the smuggler trunk. Not that I don't care about comfort, but seat height is the absolute priority for me. I am confused because I hear conflicting information. Corbin claims a 29" seat height, compared to the stock 31.7" in the lowest setting. I hear that the Corbin is wider and that would obviously somewhat offset the lower seat height, but one of the members states that the front of the seat is about as wide as the stock seat, that the part your butt sits on is the wider part. Sooooo, I am TOTALLY confused! If the seat height is 29", and it's actually not much wider in the front part where your legs go over it, why would it not be 29"? Am I missing something? Granted, since I have not received the seat, I only have pictures and descriptions and my stock seat for comparison, just trying to see if I just wasted $300!

Corbin tells me that I get one free "re-do" so that if the height is not low enough, they can rework it, but suggested I try it first, and after a few hundred miles, make a decision whether or not I need to have it redone.

I am sorry if this is one of those "beat to death" topics, I just hope someone that has been in my situation and found a solution can help. Input from short people like me regarding the Corbin seat would also be really helpful!

New guy here, just picked up my '11 FJR yesterday. I am also "vertically challenged"... Even before I purchased the bike, I ordered the Corbin Am I missing something? Granted, since I have not received the seat, I only have pictures and descriptions and my stock seat for comparison, just trying to see if I just wasted $300!

...I just hope someone that has been in my situation and found a solution can help. Input from short people like me regarding the Corbin seat would also be really helpful!
Corbin saddles, in my experience, seem to have a 'patent' seat profile that forces the rider to sit in the Corbin-bucket they've built into the seat. On some I've seen, that 'bucket' is rather rear-ward and would cause your thighs to need to go out and over the edge before your legs could go down to the ground. They have made Corbin "close" models that allow the rider to be closer to the tank and maybe able to get their legs down easier.

Many (re-design) lower the motorcycle chassis to make the whole bike closer to the ground -- that may seriously compromise the FJR's chassis performance?

Are you sure the FJR's the bike for you...? :unsure:

Well, it is now! It's in my garage! LOL!

I will try the corbin, if that does not work I need to find the link for a guy in FL that will re-do the stock seat to lower height (and not wider). So, I am confident I will reach a good compromise, just don't want to spend 5,000 to do it. That's why I am looking for other short riders that have the corbin modular front saddle, and to see if the "re-do" by corbin helped, or if it's good out of the box

Well, it is now! It's in my garage! LOL!

I will try the corbin, if that does not work I need to find the link for a guy in FL that will re-do the stock seat to lower height (and not wider). So, I am confident I will reach a good compromise, just don't want to spend 5,000 to do it. That's why I am looking for other short riders that have the corbin modular front saddle, and to see if the "re-do" by corbin helped, or if it's good out of the box
https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

That's the link to Spencer's, who'll rework the stock seat. He does a great job and has a pretty fast turnaround time (took about a week total for mine to leave, get done, and return when I did it last year).