GSXR1000 owners, I Need some advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honzo

Reaction score
I may be abandoning my desirefor an FJR and go after the Gixxer. The wife won't be riding with me and I have come to reason that long trips are a long way off. SHe is almost pushing me into the dealership either to shut me up about not having a bike or to collect on the life insurance, I don't know. I may not wait very long to pull the trigger on either bike, now. I know they are night and day and my vast experience was on a 92 750 nighthawk. I could scrape the pegs regularly on it so handling is not my concern. It's power. Seen some videos now of guys wiping out w/o even trying to show off. I rode a 02 R1 a while back and was a total wuss and never got it over 65mph. It would tak A LOT of time to get used to it, I thought. I figured it would rear up on me w/o warning. Are these bikes realy that unmanageable? I like the idea of the new mode slector on the Gixxer. It would give me the opportunity to not bite off more than I could chew, I think. I guess I have to admit that I am afraid, but I also do not understand how user friendly the bike might actually be or not. Anyone made a rather broad transition from a "regular" bike to a superbike? THis particular one is stunning to look at and It fits me pretty well ergowise. I can't imagine the dealers are handing out test rides on these things so it will be unknown territory when I get on one.

PS. as I mentioned over on the gixxer forum, I am 36, not interested in tricks or breaking records or being a show off of any kind. I just DO NOT want to look back one day and regret never having the brass to own such a hot rod. I also do not want to trash it or me.

Any words will help me figure this out.

Ride Well,

Hanzo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any modern sportbike is unmanageable if there is a problem with the nut between the seat and the throttle.

In simplistic terms, position C is like a 600, position B is like a 750, and position 1 is the beast. A friend of mine went from a Harley 1200 Sporty to a GSXR1000. He never took it off of position C and sold the bike with less than 500 miles on it because it scared the shit out of him.

Get a 600. Ergos are about the same. Looks are very similar. Power is more manageable. But, if you aren't careful, it will put you on your skull just as easily as any other bike out there.

What are you looking for? 'Look at me' value or are you planning on taking on the sportier side of riding? Your mention of being afraid puts up red flags all over that you SHOULD NOT be on a GSXR1000 if an 02 R1 scared the shit out of you and you never got over 65.

I agree with Randy 100%. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're not ready and don't need a superbike. For the average person, there are many 600s that will make the heart stir (in, both, performance and curb appeal) and go easier on the wallet.

Seriously, why get a superbike if you're not going to use it as intended (ie. track days)? A 600 will do well for everyday riding. I don't see it as having the brass to own one but, rather, having the brains to get the right bike to match your needs with your ability.

Regardless of whether it's an FJR, keep us posted as to what you end up getting.

Regards,

I don't think you need to buy a bike at all...if you are not going to run an R1 over 65 MPH...give it up!

Not intending to come across as harsh or overly negetive, but it sounds like you have an ego thing with wanting the Gixxer.

how about you go out and get a

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

suzscooter4.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Suzuki Burgman 650[/SIZE]

Hanzo,

I have both a Gixxer and an FJR now along with room to ride them in N Ga and all over the Appalachians. I hardly ever ride in city traffic in Atlanta. With all this room to roam, I can tell you there are few places on the street where you can pull the trigger on a 1K. Results are either wheelies or outrageous speeds. Keep in mind that a 1K delivers about 140 MPH in a 1/4 quarter mile. I toured on my 1K and have over 40,000 miles on it. Even with lower pegs and bars above the tripples, the difference in riding position and comfort with the FJR is HUGE. I've had enough time in the mountains to tell you that the FJR can accomplish everything on the street that a GSXR can offer if you have the assumption that you plan to finish the ride in the same conditon as when you started.

Based on your description of your riding style, I agree with the other opinions that you should get a more maneageable sportbike.

Good luck on your decision.

Intersting responses. So far only words of encouragement on the Gix site and they said I should make the transition just fine. I thought I would get an opinion here too. Maybe I should have mentioned that I gave up my 750 nighthawk a few years back because I was getting bored with it that I didn't ride anymore and couldn't afford to replace it at the time, so I'm not entirely unskilled.

Been riding an old wing and a Vrod off and on for the last year (borrowed from family). I just haven't known what to expect from the upgrade to a sportbike. I sould have also mentioned that I rode the R1 on an airport ramp and not on the road. If I had more room and practice to roll on the throttle, I could have gotten a feel for the old girl instead of experimenting within 1/4 mile distances with someone else's machine.

I guess something great must have happened in the last 2 months ...congrats!!!

So, you post on gsxr.com yesterday and got the last of the replies last night. Then you post on an FJR site today looking for more responses. What, exactly, were you looking for when you posted here? If we agreed with what they said, then you were going to get a 1K. If we disagreed with them, you were going to, just as you did, say 'well, they said it was OK, so, it must be OK...adios...I'm getting a 1K'.

Could you ride a 1K? Sure. The reality is, anyone with riding experience can ride just about any bike. It's up to you to respect what a bike can do. A bigger bike demands more respect. A smaller bike will provide you a bigger margin of error. But, ultimately it's your decision to do what you want and get what you want and it's up to you to decide whether you want to give the bike respect or if you will let it put you on your ass the minute you get cocky with it. I don't care how many footpegs your scraped on your Nighthawk or your friends' Wing or VRod - this is a whole different ballgame.

From everything you posted here and there, I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want a 1K other than to be able to tell yourself, like you said here and there, that you have the brass to own a 1K. If that's your mindset, then that's what you're gonna do and there isn't anything that anyone can say to you to change your mind.

Good luck with your new bike and check back in with us after you've put some miles on it.

OH BOY!!!!!!! Another sportbike I can smoke with the FJR,

or the Vstrom, and maybe the KLR.

Don't you enjoy your sportbike? Having the brass is a figure of speech. My only mission would be to have a good time with the ownership. I research all big purchases and want opinions from those most similar to myself. That's all. Really, I don't mind a little lashing. All perspectives are welcome as they will help me decide if I really don't belong on the machine. I never intend to race but my guess would be that most corvette owners don't either. The assumption on difference would be that I will not likely be dragging or looking to be "seen" by many. Not interested. I'll take questions and complements on it if I get them but if asked how fast I've done a quarter mile I won't be able to answer, for I won't ever care. Would like to have some real power at myfingertips for once in my life, though. 1700 HP airplanes don't cut it because the experience is 5 miles from the ground. But you might interpret my aprehension as being oh so respectful of what I think this bike is capable of. Just want to hear how other people have handled a wide transition up to a superbike from something less capable. THe story about the buddy that was scared for 500 miles does help in my thought process, but what kind of a rider was he?

Ride well.

I have an 06 FJR AE and had an 05 FJR. recently acquired an 05 R1. Let me tell you that IMHO the R1 is a lot more powerful in all ways than the FJR. It is a dangerous bike to ride on the public roads at even 1/2 of its perforance capabilities. If you really want to wring out the R1, the best place to do it is in a closed environment like a race track on a road course. I suggest getting a 600 or 1K sportbike but if you want to go fast, please do it on the track. I am 67 years old and I decided to do track riding on a race course just to satisfy my desire to add one more riding experience to my biking resume. I STRONGLY recommend it to anyone as it will improve your riding skills especially if you go thru the available riders school.

How much overall experience do you have? Mileage, variety of conditions, etc?

There is no reason for a 1000 to be unreasonably scary if you:

(1) Have enough experience on more docile bikes such that you've developed good riding habit and reflexes, and aren't making ham-fisted errors with the throttle or brakes anymore

(2) Have the self-discipline not to do anything stupid with the power that lies in your right hand.

After 1 year and 12000 miles of riding a Suzuki Volusia cruiser, I moved to a ZZR1200. While not quite as insane as a current-model litrebike, it was still a HUGE leap for me to make, but I didn't have any trouble with it thanks to adequate prior experience and a healthy sense of my own mortality.

I also have a ZX-14 now, and I'm not any more likely to kill myself on it than I am on my ZZR, or my old cruiser, for that matter.

(1) Have enough experience on more docile bikes such that you've developed good riding habit and reflexes, and aren't making ham-fisted errors with the throttle or brakes anymore

(2) Have the self-discipline not to do anything stupid with the power that lies in your right hand.

I have plenty of experience and my natural tendencies lean toward small surgical adjustments. Long ago I noticed that my reactions are fast and precise for the most part, ie, break only as much as needed combined with swerve when Mr. squirrel runs across my path. Dodged plenty of cars and stay the hell out of blind spots, something I don't think they teach in drivers ed anymore. Overcorrection is easy to do and am pretty sure I've grown out of it. Just jittery about an unknown territory is all. I've done about 50K miles in my life. The nighthawk was one of those bikes that wouldn't do much for you if you gripped and ripped. It would lug too much of you did that. You got a lot more out of it by rolling on the throttle. That's how I ride any bike now. But there were plenty of times I wished she had more accel more stop more turn. I'll be debating this up to the minute guys.

I have plenty of experience and my natural tendencies lean toward small surgical adjustments. Long ago I noticed that my reactions are fast and precise for the most part, ie, break only as much as needed combined with swerve when Mr. squirrel runs across my path. Dodged plenty of cars and stay the hell out of blind spots, something I don't think they teach in drivers ed anymore. Overcorrection is easy to do and am pretty sure I've grown out of it. Just jittery about an unknown territory is all. I've done about 50K miles in my life. The nighthawk was one of those bikes that wouldn't do much for you if you gripped and ripped. It would lug too much of you did that. You got a lot more out of it by rolling on the throttle. That's how I ride any bike now. But there were plenty of times I wished she had more accel more stop more turn. I'll be debating this up to the minute guys.

You have nothing to worry about. Go get the GSXR. Hell, get a ZX-14. ALOT more comfortable. Smoothest motorcycle engine ever, feels like an electric motor. Stunning brakes, fine handling, and just plain fun as hell to ride. :p

Split the dif and get a 750.

A liter bike is too much for most folks even on a track. I feel a 600 is too small for me and while the R1 I rode put smiles all across my face (believe me I did more than 65 in the first few feet). I opted for the 750 and am not disappointed in any way.

Liter bikes are no slouch. I have a buddy that went from a R6 to a Hyabusa in about month. This month was the only riding experience he had ever had. In less than a month after switching to the busa he had it sliding down the highway at 120mph on its side... He didn't have the experience for a machine like that and got stupid on it (he is lucky he only got some road rash from it). Those bikes are only made for one thing, To Go FAST, and they do it well. But they have to be respected to be ridden safely...

I was going to say this but ZZR beat me t it: get a ZX-14 or a busa, and get the fast bike you want plus a long-er distance GT bike.

Right?

-BD

I dont blame you for wanting one. Who cares if you'll never use that power, its still there. I'll have one someday. I decided to go the route of getting a gixxer 600 first, to learn the art. I may turn this one into a track only bike someday and get a 1000 for the street and occasional track day. All of this being said, my Feejer will never be sold or replaced. :)

Interesting resposes. In 2003 I owned a 2000 Honda VFR800, a great bike but not a powerhouse by sportbike standards. My riding buddies had R1s, Gixxer 1Ks, etc. I figured I was missing out on something ? So I went and bought the most powerful bike you could buy, 03 ZX-12R about 160hp. Man was it great at first....new and shiny and fast...mostly fast. But then a funny thing happened as I put more miles on, I realized the bike had very little utility and was only fun if doing the ton or better.

It sucked as the sport tourer I tried to justify it as, no center stand to lube the chain, riding position, only 35 mpg and NO storage. I've never done a track day and wouldn't take 1200cc to the track even if I did. You sound like you're not interested in track days either, so you need to answer why you _really_ want that 1K Gixxer. I'm not afraid you'll wreck as much as I am you asking yourself in two years or less.......why did I buy this narrow focus machine ?

I sold that 12 with less than 10k miles last spring and it's by far my biggest loss of dollars/mile of all the bikes I've owned. I put 15K miles on a DL650 last year that has ~60 hp. It was the best summer in 20 years of riding. It really opened my eyes in terms of what a motorcycle should be. In my opinion, HP is the most overated quality of motorcycle.

Like you, I'm also trying to justify a bike I'd like to buy, the 08 FJR. I just can't honestly answer the why do I really want it question....yet.

Brian

Why do you want another bike?

1. To ride fast & look like you are a race god ?

Get the Gixer, stop being a wuss and take a few track days and get used to the power. If you are still scared of it sell it.

2. For a sporty performance with good power, the ability to go fast when it suits, and renouned stability and handling?

Get the Feejer, get used to the power slowly, which the FJR will allow better than the Gixer, run it for a couple of years then think again whether you want a Gixer........or to upgrade on your Feejer.