Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would Suggest a Spingfield XD in 40 or 45 acp or even 45Gap .Great gun for money 499-529 new . We sell a ton with great reviews.

I would Suggest a Spingfield XD in 40 or 45 acp or even 45Gap .Great gun for money 499-529 new . We sell a ton with great reviews.
+1 on the XD45 ACP... 17yards, 25 head, 24 chest, 1 gutshot for kicks...

XD45-17yds-25head-24body-1gut.jpg

Where the fu*% are you guys riding that you think you need to carry a pistol?
Anywhere.

I live in a neighborhood of Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Ex Secret Service you name it.

When I first moved in here over 5 years ago, cops had a sting op going as some punk kids were robbing people at gun point as they were jogging and walking around.

I work near DC, I could link you to story after story of guys actually walking up to people while on their motorcycles and demanding they give it to them.

Yep, and I can't carry in this State or DC and the damn criminals know it.

I wish he would walk up on some of my friends who are body guards or off duty cops and try that crap!!!

Can happen anywhere...

I grew up in Texarkana Texas, stories of punk ass gangs killing an old couple while fishing because they were in their spot.

Can happen anywhere.

Are you going to be a victum or able to protect yourself and family when it happens?

Your choice in some states, not in others...

all over the country. ever pull off the side of the road under a bridge to put a rainsuit on? someone sees an out of state bike - obviously you're traveling and, most likely, you've got some cash on you. i'd prefer to not leave myself so vulnerable.

Here in metro Denver this week:

one could get shot @ the local KMART :(

Or

@ the Safeway distribution center :(

Or

the typcial drive by shooting :(

Ride safe and if needed shoot straight!

rublenoon

Hey,, Groo! That shotgun is patterning very nicely! What kind of choke are you using on it? :arrowheadsmiley:
it's the tightest freaking choke you've ever seen... only let's one pellet out at a time... ;)

For all day economical plinking I would recommend a Ruger Mark I, II, or III. .22 LR.

You can shoot all day for $20. My wife loves shooting mine.

I never owned any semi-auto centerfire pistols but I do have 2 revolvers, both Dan Wessons.

A .357 with a 4" barrel which is a tidy package and a .44 Rem. magnum which is a large gun with large recoil. I used it for metallic silhouette shooting. Dan Wessons are known for their accuracy because of the way the barrel is attached.

If you are going to shoot centerfire you will probably want to get into reloading. Dillon precision makes some fine progressive reloaders.

What about conceal carry for my Rock River AR-15 with 20 round clip.

I will definitely attract some attention :D :p

I use to take Hapkido with this guy who had a voice that would make you run home to mommy it was so deep and loud when he would yell. I told him one day he didn't need to know martial arts, just yell at someone and it would be enough to scare them to death.

Pulling out the .44 mag is about the same, they would take one look at that thing and give up :D

I have had a few guns pulled on me over the years, mostly by cops and let me tell ya it is no fun. Breathing becomes optional...

Randy have you made up your mind already??? It is like motorcycles, once you buy one it becomes a sickness and you have to keep trying different ones.

I like all of mine for different reasons. Some sentimental like my Ruger 45 long colt Vaquero, others like my Glock simply because of how well I shoot it and it never fails. The springfield is my touch of historic importance and the AR is my childhood thoughts of the Vietnam War. All of them mean something different to me...

Get out and shoot and introduce a friend to the sport. It can be a lot of fun other than the self protection aspect!!!

Or

Or

rublenoon
Update :(

the brother of the Safeway killer was shot in a drive by yesterday :dribble:

[drive by's don't ususally make the news, unless a child or a "known" person is harmed ] :eek:

rublenoon

Last edited by a moderator:

Or

Or

rublenoon
Update :(

the brother of the Safeway killer was shoot in a drive by yesterday :dribble:

[drive by's don't ususally make the news, unless a child or a "known" person is harmed ] :eek:

rublenoon
Don't they consider drive by's darwinism. As long as an "innocent" isn't hurt they figure it is just gangs doing society a favor?

Randy have you made up your mind already??? It is like motorcycles, once you buy one it becomes a sickness and you have to keep trying different ones.
Not yet. Leaning towards the Sig P239, but, need to find a Springfield dealer that has the XD.

Not yet. Leaning towards the Sig P239, but, need to find a Springfield dealer that has the XD.
Springfield Dealers in PA
Thanks! I'll try to drag the wife out this weekend.
A guy at work has one in 9 and we went shooting years ago and it was a very nice gun. I can't shoot a 9mm anything I am so use to 45 but he is x-millitary and even shot on a shooting team while in and he liked it alot.

Don't they consider drive by's darwinism. As long as an "innocent" isn't hurt they figure it is just gangs doing society a favor?

Seem to be the case! :huh:

rublenoon

I know there are quite a few folks on here that are packin' and mouths start watering when the topic is guns. Looking for something decent under $400 (if such a thing exists). Cabella's has a selection of used guns, so, if I need to look more in the $400-$500 range (new), I might be able to find something gently used that would be in my price range. Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil.
Pack a can of "bear spray" cheaper, safer and less problems. Shoots about 30 feet. Multiple sprays from one container. I carry one when traveling in my tank bag. Anybody says anything I just tell them I am going camping in bear country.

I know there are quite a few folks on here that are packin' and mouths start watering when the topic is guns. Looking for something decent under $400 (if such a thing exists). Cabella's has a selection of used guns, so, if I need to look more in the $400-$500 range (new), I might be able to find something gently used that would be in my price range. Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil.
A few years ago, I started looking for a good concealed carry gun with many of the same requirements. Most of what I found that were small enough to carry often were .380s and 9mm. I wanted something with more power. The clerk asked if I had looked at the Glocks. I said yes but they were butt ugly. He showed me the Glock 27 in .40 S&W. It was small, light, powerful, strips down with no tools, holds 9 rds and is extremely reliable, and accurate. I bought it that day. My only complaint is the trigger "bites" my finger a bit with stiff loads. I added a Peirce Grip magazine extension which greatly improves the grip of the small pistol.

I have seen these at gun shows and dealers in the $400 to $500 range. The Glock 23 is midsize in 40 cal and only slightly larger than the 27.

Today, there are several other brands of similar pistols on the market.

I have several other handguns and each is good for a specific purpose. Picked up a Kimber Stainless Gold Match in .45 ACP for IDPA matches. Would love to carry it concealed but its pretty big and heavy.

Charlie