Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Kimber.
RE: 9mm

It's the dogs dangles!

It much be. After all, the US went to it as the primary service pistol back in the 90's (iirc). But... wait... there's a new RFP out for a replacement service pistol and one of the major requirements is that it be in .45 ACP. Seems Unca Sam forgot his lessons from the .38 that Ole Slab Sides replaced when the Moros kept coming after being hit multiple times with a punk assed round. Also seems that they are re-learning that just because NATO picked the 9x19 doesn't mean that it serves its intended function as well as a good 1911A!

KIMBER ROCKS!

BioHazard - Good thing you pack. With a hat like that, you may need it.
Yea, but Uncle doesn't actually expect his soldiers to use it.

Of course the German army was huge on handguns and they issued them to everyone they could.

Keep it simple is the way to go especially if the wife will be shooting also. A revolver is the way to go. S&W .38 SPL airlite is what I carry off duty. Small enough to fit in your blue jens pocket or wherever else you might want to stash it and no worries of failure to feed etc. Good luck in your decision!

Only problem with SOME revolvers for women in the heavy trigger pull.

I don't think which gun is nearly as important, as getting a good quality friearm, and then becoming proficient with it. If you feel the need to carry a gun, then we are talking about equiptment for saving your, or a loved ones life. Doesn't it make sense to be as skilled as possible.

Keep it simple is the way to go especially if the wife will be shooting also. A revolver is the way to go. S&W .38 SPL airlite is what I carry off duty. Small enough to fit in your blue jens pocket or wherever else you might want to stash it and no worries of failure to feed etc. Good luck in your decision!
WOW! You got a Blue Jen? That's amazing.

[click][click][search][search]

Ooops! That's spelt Djinn!

Never mind.

My personal favorite is the Taurus titanium revolver in .44spl. Light to carry, easy to shoot, lots of knockdown power. Only time I ever had to use it was when a badger attacked my wife and me, came out of a nearby ditch, the little .44 turned him inside out. Buzzard

Honestly, I can think of no other gun that has great stopping power and can be easily used by a woman than the Glock Model 27. It is a .40cal pistol. I let my wife try my Glock Model 30 which is a .45 but she could not easily hold it (grip to wide) and she had problems pulling the slide. So, I had her try a Model 27 and she loved it. Fit in her hand nicely and she could work the slide with no problems. Small gun, easily concealable and will stop a human with one shot, similar to a .45

A .40Cal is a great round with very good stopping power. The Glock M27 holds plenty of ammo and is perfect for a man or a woman. That is what my wife now has and loves it. I highly recommend it.

Good Question...To answer it hands down and I'm not a Glock dealer or agent...I just carry one every day...

1. Get a used Glock model 19 period.

2. Why? Hands down reliable. Does not need to be extensivley clean nor lubed to fire reliably. Your wife will not be intimidated by the mild recoil. It's the all a rounder of guns. Many will dis the 9mm. I carry and shoot a .40 mod 22. The 9mm is back on target quicker and the ammo is cheaper if a municipality is not buying it for you. Don't buy into hype about stopping power ect... buy the 9mm and practice torso shots untill you can center punch a target using the front sight on instinct. Two-Three 9mm 124grain Speer Gold Dots to the upper torso of any human will ruin his/her day and take the fight out of them quickly.

ps if poss get the night sights.
I have to disagree about the 9mm. The main problem with the 9mm is the high velosity. The bullet can and has exited out the back of a person only to wide up hitting someone else. It is important to ensure that your bullet does not penetrate all the way through the perp. That way there are no innocents hit. Also, if you end up in a fire fight, you may not get to hit the person 2 to 3 times in the upper torso. I prefer a round (.45) that in most instances will finish the job in 1 hit. Also, the .45 will not (in most cases) fully penetrate a perp to go on and hit someone else.

As far liability, you are correct on over-penetration. As far as stopping power, the over-penetration is an issue for "Energy Dump." The bullet has "X" amount of energy when it leaves the gun. If it exits the thing you are shooting, then it still has some energy. You want 100% of the bullets energy transferred into whatever you are trying to stop.

If you can only have one pistol for you and the wife,

absolutely can not beat .38 or .357 Mag revolver.

My wife keeps her .357 in the safe by the bed.

you can practice with .38 cal in a .357 and she keeps it loaded with .38 +P's for the extra stopping power without the kick of a .357

It's a short barreled, easily concealable gun that packs on hellofa punch

Hands down the revolver is the easiest gun for a woman or anyone who is not very familiar with handguns to pick up and operate. Plus anyone without a lot of firearms training will feel relatively confident using this type of pistol.

HOWEVER:

If your looking for an auto with more round capacity, larger caliber, more stopping power, ability to add on accessories (laser site or blinding light):

my vote is hands down for the GLOCK! :clapping:

I can't say enough good about them. I have shot literally thousands of rounds through them without the first hickup or jam. I'm talking Hollowpoints, Full Metal Jackets, different bullet grain weights, etc.

I personally carry a G27, or G23.

Those are the small and medium framed in .40 caliber.

Each caliber comes in mainly three frame sizes, small-medium-and large, and the magazine capicity varies with the frame size.

.40 seems to be the caliber to go with for more stopping power than 9mm and don't have to worry as much about the overpenetration of the .45 cal.

My next pistol i purchase will be a Kimber .45 1911 style pistol. I love shooting them and have practiced with many others shooting 1911's for years. I have seen them jam over and over, and would never depend on a 1911 with my life on the line, period. Others will argue that point, but I only know what I have seen and experienced, and I do not believe there is a better auto out there for dependability than a GLOCK.

No matter what you get, get to the range and practice,practice, practice.

You (and or wife) need to know weapon like the back of your hand.

Look into gun clubs in your area where they practice like IDPA (defensive shooting scenerios) that you may be put in one day if you ever had to use the gun.

when you hear a bump in the middle of the night, in the dark or low light situation, under stress you will revert to muscle memory and hopefully all of your practice and training. You have to remember to look at your sites under stress (especially if someone is shooting back at you) hopefully that will be embedded in your memory. Uder stress you don't just want to point and shoot.

I can't stress practicing enough. Most people with guns don't practice and really think they will be ok in a shootout (burglers and rapist included).

When your life and or your families is on the line, you can't afford to not be ready.

Don't pull your gun unless your going to use it,

and if you have to use it, don't stop shooting until the job is done (politically correct or not).

Remember a dead guy can't sue you.

You will go to court under this situation and remember to tell the police " you felt your life was in danger" first thing. You might check the laws in your own state on this situation, but I belive most states have done away with the law about you having to turn and run if possible to get away. Sign up for a concealed carry permit in your state if they have one yet. https://www.packing.org/ , great website for info and laws in your state.

In all honesty, a .22 pistol can be just as deadly.

We could argue and give opinions on types of pistols and calibers all day.

But it is the practice and shot placement that will really matter.

Forget the cool factor, get what you like best and is most comfortable to you, and practice with it over and over! Hopefully, it is all for nothing and you are never in the situation to need it. But it is comforting to know you are ready for trouble should it come to you.

Once you get into going to the range it will grow on you and most likely become a new hobby!

.40 seems to be the caliber to go with for more stopping power than 9mm and don't have to worry as much about the overpenetration of the .45 cal.
A .45 will not over penetrate. The round is moving at about 900 and some feet per second, which is a slow moving round. 9mm and .357 will over penetrate due to their velocity.

A .45 will not over penetrate. The round is moving at about 900 and some feet per second, which is a slow moving round. 9mm and .357 will over penetrate due to their velocity.
I would change that to "Could Over penetrate." there are NO 100% for sures when we are talking ballistics. In 9mm, ammunition selection is CRITICLE. In .357 a 125 hollow point has been the #1, one shot stopper for years until the .40 cal came along. Keep in mind that is documented shootings, which mean mainly LEO. .45 flat out KICKS ASS, but since is has traditionally been offered in only the 1911 model semi auto, some people shy away from a "cocked and locked" set up.

Again, and I will beat this horse until it is a pile of goo, get a good gun, and PRACTICE. If you wonder how much practice is enough, I will tell you I shoot with guys who can, on demand, draw from concealed and center a human size head at 7 yards in under 1 second, all day long. My best is .72 from non-concealed. :yahoo:

I would change that to "Could Over penetrate." there are NO 100% for sures when we are talking ballistics.
You are correct. My word selection was off. As for practicing, you are dead on. Practice, practice, practice. One thing I do that a lot of folks do not, I use the ammo I carry when carring concealed when I practice. I want to ensure everything it is the same from practice to the real thing if it ever comes to that. You know, train as you fight!

.357 Mag revolver. Fits nicely in my tank bag. Here in Alaska, I load it with bear quality round...
Um, OK. I don't mean to Dog Pile on this, but if you think a .357 is going to stop any Bear that is up in Alaska, I would really thing again. Maybe, just maybe, if you jambed the gun in his mouth, between bites he is taking out of your but, it might do more than piss him off. Don't get me wrong, a .357 is better than nothing, and it's not like you can pack a 300 Winchester Mag. in your tank bag, but if you are thinking specifically for bear, I would look at the short barrel version of the .500 Mag., and get a bigger tank bag. Gel insert riding gloves might even help with the recoil from the hand cannon if you needed to shoot it.

Handgun bear ammo is a never ending, and very heated topic on almost all gun forums.

Wow, this thread has taken a left hand turn, and I think I helped spin the wheel!?! :rolleyes:

.357 Mag revolver. Fits nicely in my tank bag. Here in Alaska, I load it with bear quality round...
Um, OK. I don't mean to Dog Pile on this, but if you think a .357 is going to stop any Bear that is up in Alaska, I would really thing again. Maybe, just maybe, if you jambed the gun in his mouth, between bites he is taking out of your but, it might do more than piss him off. Don't get me wrong, a .357 is better than nothing, and it's not like you can pack a 300 Winchester Mag. in your tank bag, but if you are thinking specifically for bear, I would look at the short barrel version of the .500 Mag., and get a bigger tank bag. Gel insert riding gloves might even help with the recoil from the hand cannon if you needed to shoot it.

Handgun bear ammo is a never ending, and very heated topic on almost all gun forums.

Wow, this thread has taken a left hand turn, and I think I helped spin the wheel!?! :rolleyes:
:blink: Hello Trigger T,

I definitely concur with your thoughts, another notable round that would do well is .454 Casull.

If memory serves me right and I remember the jist of the article, I do believe the largest Kodiak bear was taken with a .22mag, but was just as you stated....Bear reared up on hind legs and person literally stuck barrel of revolver into roof of mouth and pulled the trigger.

Talk about lucky shot and major laundry problem, but the happy camper survived.

I recently received photos from friend of person who survived polar bear attack, polar bear was finally killed by other campers, but photos were taken in physicians treatment facility and I didn't know a person could survive that much damage.

This guy definitely had the will to live.

:unsure:

I've got a small 5 shot .22 magnum revolver that is reasonably priced & very easy to conceal. Main conceal carry gun is my .45 Colt Defender. I have a concealed carry permit....

Friend of mine got shot with a .22 magnum. His ex-wife, well, she was his WIFE at the time, but now she's his ex-wife. Anyway, he's running away (duh), and feels a sharp pain in his calf. Bullet enters the meaty part of calf, missing the bone. Entry wound about as big as a nickel, exit wound about like a quarter.

He proceeds to a small rural hospital, where they patch him up and release him. She does not even get interviewed by law enforcement. It seems my friend was um, known by the County Sheriff's department, and I guess they made a judgement call. No (serious) harm, no foul.

The really sad thing in this whole story is she got to keep the pistol in the divorce. It was one of those Rugers with the 10" barrel and interchangable cylinders, .22 LR or .22 Mag. Sweet shooting hand gun. I know, I've fired that very same pistol before.

The only thing that saved him, I think, was the extreme range. I've seen her poke that thing out the front door and blast away at a pack of feral dogs. Got two of them. :trinibob:

Does anyone know if the Glock 23 is well suited to left handed shooters or not? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a pistol for a while now. The last time I thought about this, the Sig Sauer was the only one expressly made in a left handed model. I'd be willing to consider similar models from Kimber, Steyr, etc.

Thanks,

Jim

Does anyone know if the Glock 23 is well suited to left handed shooters or not? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a pistol for a while now. The last time I thought about this, the Sig Sauer was the only one expressly made in a left handed model. I'd be willing to consider similar models from Kimber, Steyr, etc.
Thanks,

Jim
My wife is left handed and shoots all of my guns with no problem.

With that said the glock doesn't have a safety per say so there is no ambidextrous stuff like that you can get on the 1911 guns with the safety being on both sides.

The clip(mag release sorry) release will be on the left side for a right hander to use with his thumb. For a Lefty as many do they will just learn to use a different finger of their left hand.

I think I recall some guns that have mag releases on both sides but I don't remember what they are.

The slide stop is usually just on the left side also and some do operate it well using the left hand index finger.

Left handed people are more ambidextrous than us righties as you have to be to live in this world.

With that said I bet you can learn to use any gun just as well using the left hand.

The shell extract will come out the right side but no matter what hand you use I don't see this a problem.

I HATE safeties so for me the glock is perfect.

Ever see the video on Cops where the jeweler gets robbed, he then gets a carry permit. A guy starts to walk out of his store and reaches in his pants and pull out a gun. The store owner was actually quicker on the draw but guess what, his safety was on and never got off a shot and the gunman unloaded on him and even came back to steal his watch and pulled the trigger at his head, luckily it was empty. SAFETIES suck, and if you use a gun properly, no finger on trigger until at target, you don't need one!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"...Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil."

The original post didn't mention any use other than "plinking". If that is the limit to it's use, a double action short barreled .22 LR meets all of your requirements better than anything else. Ah, but then we must get into the testosterone issue. So, a .22 LR probably won't do. Next in line is a .38spec. A new stainless 2.5" barrel double action from Taurus can be had in that price range. It meets all of your requirements better than anything but the .22LR. It does have the advantage as being a suitable defensive weapon. I am betting that the "automatic" fans will jump me on my recommendation. That's ok. I've probably owned more, shot more, handloaded more automatics than most. If the environment is right and I don't need to consider the possibility that a family member that isn't real familiar with handguns, might have to bring the weapon to bear in an emergency, I also choose an auto. Else, there's a double action .38 nearby. No slides to rack, to safety's to worry about; point & pull the trigger. It requires the least experience to use effectively.