Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody out there have a Glock 23 or 27? How's the recoil of the .40 S&W as compared to a 9mm? Looking for something for the love of my life and want a capable round w/as little recoil as possible. May settle for a 9mm, but don't really want to. She has fired a .38 and my .45 1911 - she actually shoots pretty darn well!

Thanks!

Jim

Anybody out there have a Glock 23 or 27? How's the recoil of the .40 S&W as compared to a 9mm? Looking for something for the love of my life and want a capable round w/as little recoil as possible. May settle for a 9mm, but don't really want to. She has fired a .38 and my .45 1911 - she actually shoots pretty darn well!Thanks!

Jim
My moms carry gun is the .40cal Glock. She use to carry a .357. My mom is only 5'4" or so. As with all this stuff comes down to each persons personal choice but I think she would be happy with the .40. My wife shoots my .45 just fine but the glock doesn't fit her hand well. She shoots my Springfield .45 and likes it better, especially with the rubber grips I have on it.

This may be a little incorrect for some but might I suggest every once in a while practicing a few shots with your ear protection off. My Mom&Dad both cops and Dad Vietnam vet say that in the heat of battle your adrenaline is going so much that you don't even notice the sound.

The first time I took my ear protection off it scared the heck out of me, I had no idea it was that loud.

Now every now and then I take it off for a round or two just to remember what it's like so it's not a complete surprise.

Just a thought, yours may very!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awe hell, just ride at the back of a pack of Harley's. That will prep your hearing for the kind of noise you are talking about, and you may have the added bonus of having to dodge parts, to sharpen your reflexes.

Awe hell, just ride at the back of a pack of Harley's. That will prep your hearing for the kind of noise you are talking about, and you may have the added bonus of having to dodge parts, to sharpen your reflexes.
It isn't a sudden bang like a gun. A Harley pipe has nothing on the ringing bang of a gun either.

Just a thought that I hope I never have to test in real life.

In real life you won't have ear plugs in! The first time it damn well brought me to my knees!

Gotta say you want to be carefull shooting w/o ear protection. 26 year Marine artillery - my hearing loss is in my left ear because I always left that earplug out to hear commands going to the gunline, etc. But, most loss (left ear again) came from a couple of years teaching small arms and again leaving the left plug out for the same reason. Nothing like the sharp crack of rifle/pistol/machine gun to remind you that you're earplugless (yes, that's a word). Except for the 106mm Recoilless Rifle - that's the loudest friggin' thing I've ever heard!

Thanks for the perspective on the .40.

It isn't a sudden bang like a gun. A Harley pipe has nothing on the ringing bang of a gun either.

Just a thought that I hope I never have to test in real life.

In real life you won't have ear plugs in! The first time it damn well brought me to my knees!
That was a joke. I am a competative shooter (+/- 50K rounds per yer) I know that the sounds, and how your ears react to them or totally different. :assassin:

Gotta say you want to be carefull shooting w/o ear protection. 26 year Marine artillery - my hearing loss is in my left ear because I always left that earplug out to hear commands going to the gunline, etc. But, most loss (left ear again) came from a couple of years teaching small arms and again leaving the left plug out for the same reason. Nothing like the sharp crack of rifle/pistol/machine gun to remind you that you're earplugless (yes, that's a word). Except for the 106mm Recoilless Rifle - that's the loudest friggin' thing I've ever heard!
Probably hard to conceal that 106mm on the mcy trips I suppose. :D

I hear ya, that's why I only it do it for 1 or 2 shots at the most and right back with the ear protection.

Like everything, I figure it is good practice to at least remind my brain what it sounds like for real.

Good luck with the .40 decision.

...and six of 'em is even harder to hide!

ontos2.jpg

Anybody out there have a Glock 23 or 27? How's the recoil of the .40 S&W as compared to a 9mm? Looking for something for the love of my life and want a capable round w/as little recoil as possible. May settle for a 9mm, but don't really want to. She has fired a .38 and my .45 1911 - she actually shoots pretty darn well!Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I have both the 23 and 27.

Recoil is definately a little more than a 9, but very manageable.

I've had two 23's for years but just bought the 27 on a whim that I would start carrying it instead. smaller, lighter, more concealable.

After the first day at the range with it (only 150 rounds or so), I definately like the 23 better.

just fits better, better recoil, more accurate for me, and fit all your fingers around without a mag extension.

I may be selling this shortly and buying a kimber for the range, but i will always keep packin my 23.

38 revolver, train significant other with light target loads. if you are going to carry more than shoot, air weights are nice. if you don't mind the extra weight of steel, there are more choices out there, police trade ins etc.

Springfield Armory XD .40 ported.......good solid round ports help with recoil.....

want just a neat gun Walther P22 I just love that thing.....I carry it more than the other.

Love my p22, also my Springfield XD9. Check the difference between the price of ammo between a 9 and whatever else you are looking at. A 9 is fairly cheap to practice/plink with.

Love my p22, also my Springfield XD9. Check the difference between the price of ammo between a 9 and whatever else you are looking at. A 9 is fairly cheap to practice/plink with.
True, but not the best stopper in the world. .40 cal is getting to be pretty cheap as well, and is a much better stopper. Winchester White Box is usually inexpensive at Wally World.

Then again, reloading is a fun pastime as well. I load .45 ammo for about $4.00 a box of 50. Yes, I buy my supplies in VERY LARGE quantities.

Pretty ignorant of me....put this post up and then not follow up after everyone took the time to respond.

I appreciate everyone's input.

After shooting some of the semi's, I decided to go with a revolver since this was something that the Mrs. would also be shooting. Plain and simple, the semis are a pain in the ass to reload and the revolvers are easier to maintain.

S&W 686 6" (not the plus - 6 shots is plenty). Was looking at the 4", the 6" and the 6" PP (power port). Since this wasn't going to be my c/c piece, the extra size of the 6" barrel wasn't a concern.

Additionally, got a chance to tour the S&W plant. Very impressive.

Pretty ignorant of me....put this post up and then not follow up after everyone took the time to respond.I appreciate everyone's input.

After shooting some of the semi's, I decided to go with a revolver since this was something that the Mrs. would also be shooting. Plain and simple, the semis are a pain in the ass to reload and the revolvers are easier to maintain.

S&W 686 6" (not the plus - 6 shots is plenty). Was looking at the 4", the 6" and the 6" PP (power port). Since this wasn't going to be my c/c piece, the extra size of the 6" barrel wasn't a concern.

Additionally, got a chance to tour the S&W plant. Very impressive.
.38 or .357?

I know there are quite a few folks on here that are packin' and mouths start watering when the topic is guns. Looking for something decent under $400 (if such a thing exists). Cabella's has a selection of used guns, so, if I need to look more in the $400-$500 range (new), I might be able to find something gently used that would be in my price range. Just looking for something of decent quality to go plinking with that packs and field strips pretty easily. The wife will be shooting it, too, so, don't want something that will kick her ass with recoil.
I have a number of guns but for cc I'll take my little 380 Bersa Thunder over anything else. Light, easy to conceal and shoots straight. May not have the stopping power of the large calibre hand guns but will still get the job done.

When I originally started this thread, I was under the impression that I could get 1 piece to cover everything that I want. I probably could have, but, along the way, I determined that I'm gonna end up with 2 separate pieces. Still trying to figure out what I'm gonna get for the 2nd one, but, it will probably be a .380 or a small 9 or .40.