HD finally admits that Loud Pipes cost...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe those with loud pipes never had to regularly commute on a small engine bike screaming at 7500 rpm (and that's when below the speed limit!). Otherwise they would appreciate being able to afford a nice and powerful motorcycle you can cruise quietly.

The bike I had before my FJR was a Honda VTX1800. I put Vance&Hines Big Shot pipes on it for two reasons. I liked the sound, and the power increase was immense. I could make that bike scream if I wanted to, but that wasn't the point.

I rode to a friend's house one day to meet her and some other riders. When I rolled up, in her gated community, there was a bunch of Harleys in the driveway. When I went inside, the conversation led to what I rode. When I said it was a Honda, one of them remarked, "Oh, that's why we didn't hear you pull up." I responded with, "No...The bike can make plenty of noise, but I prefer not to be an asshole in people's neighborhoods at 8 in the morning." For some reason, that guy and I never really bonded. Dip shit.

About a year after that, I was riding with another friend of mine who rides a Harley but is an experienced rider with great skill and Reinhart exhaust that we installed in my garage. Like me, he enjoys the rumble of his own bike, but is never obnoxious. I again ended up being the only Honda out of a group of Harley tools who thought their entire 68 horses meant something.

We went to dinner and ended up in front of the door of the restaurant as we were leaving. One of the straight pipe guys was in front of me and while I was putting on my helmet, he revved the engine so hard, it made my ears ring. Since I was only two steps away, and right in the blast, I kicked his bike over with him on it. He got up mad, but lost the nerve when he realized I was pissed and totally prepared to kick his poser ass. He picked up his bruised ego and rode away talking big shit, but in the numerous times I've ridden with Nate, I've never seen that asshole again.

I don't mind bikes with pipes. What I mind are the assholes that assume all of us are going to be impressed with how much useless noise they can make. That goes for Crotch Rockets, Harleys and Pocket Racer cars with those piece of shit huge cans sticking out the back and bass making my house windows shake. I think the smaller the penis, the bigger the need to show off and make people look.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the straight pipe guys was in front of me and while I was putting on my helmet, he revved the engine so hard, it made my ears ring. Since I was only two steps away, and right in the blast, I kicked his bike over with him on it. He got up mad, but lost the nerve when he realized I was pissed and totally prepared to kick his poser ass. He picked up his bruised ego and rode away talking big shit,
Ha ha! Wish I could have been there for that!

:yahoo:

I don't mind bikes with pipes. What I mind are the assholes that assume all of us are going to be impressed with how much useless noise they can make. That goes for Crotch Rockets, Harleys and Pocket Racer cars with those piece of shit huge cans sticking out the back and bass making my house windows shake.
EXACTLY - you can ride a loud bike LOUD or silent it all depends upon gearing and throttle. Having said this, I DID enjoy pissing the Feejer Faithful off at Mill Valley. Of course, I only BRAPPED the throttle a dozen or so times, just to be sure they wouldn't kick me off the FeejerForum 4ever! :p

I don't mind bikes with pipes. What I mind are the assholes that assume all of us are going to be impressed with how much useless noise they can make. That goes for Crotch Rockets, Harleys and Pocket Racer cars with those piece of shit huge cans sticking out the back and bass making my house windows shake.
A-fucking-MEN! Use any extra power when it's called for and keep the rpms down when it's going to annoy folks. And that last part ain't all that hard to figure out, unless you're completely brain dead -- 10 pm to 7 am in a residential neighborhood or passing the outdoor seating of a cafe are NOT times when power or noise are necessary -- it's just plain fucking obnoxious!

That sorta thing gives all motorcyclists a bad name, and results in even more freedoms being limited . . . just to reign in the A-holes among us.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the straight pipe guys was in front of me and while I was putting on my helmet, he revved the engine so hard, it made my ears ring. Since I was only two steps away, and right in the blast, I kicked his bike over with him on it. He got up mad, but lost the nerve when he realized I was pissed and totally prepared to kick his poser ass. He picked up his bruised ego and rode away talking big shit

Good on ya dillo fecker! I think...

I found a picture from that little incident and.....

Well, I'll let others decide if you were justified

2504062-a-young-boy-who-has-crashed-his-bicycle.jpg

I don't mind bikes with pipes. What I mind are the assholes that assume all of us are going to be impressed with how much useless noise they can make. That goes for Crotch Rockets, Harleys and Pocket Racer cars with those piece of shit huge cans sticking out the back and bass making my house windows shake. I think the smaller the penis, the bigger the need to show off and make people look.
LOL! So true. The same riders who irritate and annoy with their loud pipes also drive pick up trucks that never go off road but have massively jacked up suspension.

In reply to another post, I do agree that many FJR (and other riders) will occasionally go a tad over the speed limit. That does show the same disrespect for the law that exceeding the decibel limit does. However, if you maintain control of your bike and don't cause an accident, you're not going to affect anyone else by your actions. How many people does one loud bike affect? or one group of fifty loud bikes?

Admittedly, there are far too many overly loud bikes on the road. But will all of this apply to the obnoxiously loud import "tuner" cars and jacked up 4x4's I also have the "pleasure" of listening to, or only bikes?