HD unveils new engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, captain. Excellent demonstration of what it is I dislike about HDs -- the surly asshat with the snarling attitude on the seat. The same self righteous asshole who feels the need to put loud pipes on his bike to draw attention to himself and annoy others -- it sure ain't for the horsepower. It's not all HD owners by a long shot, but thanks for coming by to pose as the paradigm example.
Wrong again. I don't ride a H-D. Cruiser yes and it's a JAP bike bro. It's a liquid cooled V-4. YOU arse-hats group em all togather, don't ya. If it looks like a H-D it is......... ;) Also, I don't wear a rag on my head, wear a leather vest OR run loud pipes either. Nice try Buckweat. :clapping:

Well..................welcome to the forum Captain America. Are you here to contribute? Or just insult all the locals?
Say what you will, but you don't see me going to other websites and insulting the natives.

So who's the arrogant, nasty, asshat?
I go to many bike forums. One of them is Labusa's. Even THEY have respect for H-D. Figure that one out Bucko. Arse-hats. :lol:
Room temperature IQ, bad breath, hung like a hamster and a penchant for erroneous assumptions. Good choice on the metric cruiser, though -- if I was ever going to go back to a cruiser (NOT), there are several that I'd choose over the present state of HDs (Street Rod would get consideration, though), especially given the price differential. Grinning my ass off at your ignorant belief that I can't tell the difference between a HD and a metric cruiser. Nice try junior.

It's a good thing you don't try to run loud pipes because metric bikes, particularly V-4's, sound completely retarded and obnoxious with loud pipes. You can hear the difference pretty easy after a while.
Wrong again! The Yamaha V-4 motor sounds wonderful with pipes. Like your daddy's hot rod baby. :D

But it's HD owners like captain america who give all the rest a bad name -- I have trouble imagining being so caught up in my ego and prejudices that I'd shun someone being friendly just because the other guy is on another kind of bike. And then there's a small group of utter morons who appear honestly to think that they have the performance edge. End of May, I had something like that go on when I was on my piped '03 XX -- you honestly want to race?!? Fucking dumbfounded -- I'm sporting close to 150 RWHP with the PCIII dialed in, running one tooth up in the rear and he's giving away 150 lbs. And *I* am the one who doesn't get it?!?!?!? Duuuude -- when was the last time you took a 600cc sport bike, and this ain't no 600cc bike.
Hello! I don't ride a H-D. Also, it ain't me wit da problem bro. I get along fine wit all biker's X'cept those ST arse-hats. :yahoo: Like I said, Labusa's don't have no problem wit H-D, so why da fook should you guy's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, this ain't Captain America. This looks like some kind of ST bike outfit! :lol:

captain-america.jpg

It's a good thing you don't try to run loud pipes because metric bikes, particularly V-4's, sound completely retarded and obnoxious with loud pipes. You can hear the difference pretty easy after a while.
Wrong again! The Yamaha V-4 motor sounds wonderful with pipes. Like your daddy's hot rod baby. :D

But it's HD owners like captain america who give all the rest a bad name -- I have trouble imagining being so caught up in my ego and prejudices that I'd shun someone being friendly just because the other guy is on another kind of bike. And then there's a small group of utter morons who appear honestly to think that they have the performance edge. End of May, I had something like that go on when I was on my piped '03 XX -- you honestly want to race?!? Fucking dumbfounded -- I'm sporting close to 150 RWHP with the PCIII dialed in, running one tooth up in the rear and he's giving away 150 lbs. And *I* am the one who doesn't get it?!?!?!? Duuuude -- when was the last time you took a 600cc sport bike, and this ain't no 600cc bike.
Hello! I don't ride a H-D. Also, it ain't me wit da problem bro. I get along fine wit all biker's X'cept those ST arse-hats. :yahoo: Like I said, Labusa's don't have no problem wit H-D, so why da fook should you guy's?
My friend with the Royal Star would disagree. He put headers on and it sounded so retarded (his words) he took 'em back off. You know what? He was right. It did sound retarded, like a VW Beetle thru a bullhorn. I have heard V-Max's that sound good loud. WTF did I just say? I must be losing it..sound good loud? I hate all loud bikes! :ph34r:

Yo, Captain -- you turn 21 yet? Get your GED yet? Kinda having trouble with the reading comprehension, aren't you?

Wanna explain how you get along so fine with everyone, when it's you who intentionally "stiffs" other riders who wave at you solely based upon the kind of bike they're on? When it's you who searches out another forum to make your first several posts insulting everyone? You mentioned your riding apparrel. Does it look something like this:

:asshat:

Wanna explain how you get along so fine with everyone, when it's you who intentionally "stiffs" other riders who wave at you solely based upon the kind of bike they're on? When it's you who searches out another forum to make your first several posts insulting everyone? You mentioned your riding apparrel. Does it look something like this:

Seems to me the H-D bashing is here on THIS forum. Besides, ST owners don't wave to me, more so that those dang old Wingers! :glare: I know you FJR'ers think your on top of the bikers heap. Well, I'm telling ya - you ain't! :blink: I don't wave at ST riders anymore, everyone else I acknowledge. :D

Seems to me the H-D bashing is here on THIS forum. Besides, ST owners don't wave to me, more so that those dang old Wingers! :glare: I know you FJR'ers think your on top of the bikers heap. Well, I'm telling ya - you ain't! :blink:
Ok things have gone too far, it's starting to sound like a bunch of children. I'm sure we can calmly work out our differences like the mature adults we are. Isn't that right Captain Poopy Pants? :****:

Seems to me the H-D bashing is here on THIS forum. Besides, ST owners don't wave to me, more so that those dang old Wingers! :glare: I know you FJR'ers think your on top of the bikers heap. Well, I'm telling ya - you ain't! :blink: I don't wave at ST riders anymore, everyone else I acknowledge. :D
So you're here for what reason? Many of us have children and are used to pointless tantrums. So go ahead and scream in the middle of the crib, junior -- you or yours are the ones who have been wronged. WAAHHHHH!!!!

I haven't seen one sentence from you that shows you know shit about wrenching on any kind of bike, riding on the street, in dirt or on a track. You do know this is a motorcycle board, but all you can contribute is to say you refuse to acknowledge sport touring bike riders who wave at you? Whatever, little dude. I get it -- it's about you getting attention. Seems to me there is an ignore feature here somewhere. (Yep -- click on his profile, go to profile options in top right corner, click on ignore user -- terminate attention seeking brat.)

In case it's misunderstood, my apologies to HD owners -- as Captain America has so ably demonstrated, there are dick head poseurs on every kind of bike. Nice to have a tool around to make the point, I guess.

"I go to many bike forums. One of them is Labusa's. Even THEY have respect for H-D."

First, respect is earned not purchased. :stop:

Second, go back to Labusa's then. We don't fucking care! :****:

Captain America = Captain :asshat: leader of the :asshat2: gang.

Y'all are havin' way too much fun feeding the troll!

HD? Never owned one. Might someday though. While they're not performance kings, they don't claim to be, and that's not the point. I've got an old Norton that I ride once in awhile. It's very different than the FJR, and satisfying in some ways that the FJR isn't. And the FJR is many things the Norton will never be. Diversity makes more fun, not less. For me, adding a Harley to my stable would be adding another dimension to it, something with its own appeal.

BTW, all new Harleys sold in the US meet the same DOT noise emissions standards as the FJR. The new one will too, more power or not. It's the owners buying open headers that make the noxious noises.

Also keep in mind that HD is increasing their EXPORTS of US made manufacturing goods every year. So even if their domestic market softens, there's a whole world out there waiting to discover the Harley Mystique. They won't be running out of customers anytime soon, as long as they stick to their business plan.

And yeah, the ST groups I've been a part of all seem to have a bit of smugness. Most enthusiast groups do.

I hate everybody. It's worked out well.
+1 to that.

In case it's misunderstood, my apologies to HD owners -- as Captain America has so ably demonstrated, there are dick head poseurs on every kind of bike. Nice to have a tool around to make the point, I guess.
Yeah, just making a point. I've ridden pretty much all types of motorcycles. I've got lots of friends that ride H-D and I get a little upset with all the bashings they get on ST forums. The H-D products are getting pretty nice these days and I bet the new 96ci will be a real winner. As much as they try, the Japs will never take over the H-D market. Sure, their are the bar morons, but my experience is, H-D sells many bikes to serious long distance people, the same kind of people attracted to the FJR's.

Here's the CB450 somewhere in Cali back in its day.

honda4501150634642.JPG

Correct Skoot - HD aren't the leaders, never claimed to be to my knowledge, and probably won't be a leader anytime soon, and Ski's point is? I'm thinking you don't have to necessarily be the leader in those areas to be the sales (profit) leader, or to sell your bikes. Strange what attracts people to something like a motorcycle. Cook Nielson did a great story on the new Super Glide in a recent issue of Cycle World, (wish I had it here) with a great quote (the quote was on the editorial page). Something along the lines of "they (HD) might not lead in technolocy but they lead in spirit - and that they have in excess" or something along those lines. There is a whole (large) segment of the motorcycle population who don't care about carving corners, draggin pegs, 1,000 mile days, 0-100 in 3.6 secs, or 10,000 rpm redlines, and/or having the latest and greatest in any walk of their lives, including their bike. They just want to get on their bike (in this case an HD) and cruise and enjoy the experience, their ride, their way - not yours. And, I guess there are a whole bunch of people that feel that way, 330,000 or so last year alone. For them, I guess its not about technology or engineering leadership (Marketing - I'm sure some of them) . So, to each their own, different strokes for differrent folks I guess. If we all wanted to run with the leaders, we'd be watching our Fujitsu Plasmas, sipping a good single malt, after a hard day of piloting the Porsche Carrera GT (or S2000, LS460, M6, SLR McLaren, etc.) home from our Yahoo office in Santa Clara.
Well - this has certainly been an interesting thread. Just thought I end with the real quote mentioned above from Cook Neilson from the Jan 06 issue of Cycle World (UP FRONT page) - I think he hits it dead on:

"Have to say I was impressed by everyone and everything back in Milwaukee. Harley's selling upwards of 330,000 motorcycles per year, which means that their gross sales revenue for bikes ALONE amounts to something like $4 Billion. Not bad for a little Midwestern company that was literally minutes away from bankruptcy 20 years ago and which today builds products that are quite pricey and, by come measures at least, functionally uncompetitive. But their stuff is spiritually competitive. To Harley and us all, that means everything." - Cook Neilson

Well - this has certainly been an interesting thread. Just thought I end with the real quote mentioned above from Cook Neilson from the Jan 06 issue of Cycle World (UP FRONT page) - I think he hits it dead on:
"Have to say I was impressed by everyone and everything back in Milwaukee. Harley's selling upwards of 330,000 motorcycles per year, which means that their gross sales revenue for bikes ALONE amounts to something like $4 Billion. Not bad for a little Midwestern company that was literally minutes away from bankruptcy 20 years ago and which today builds products that are quite pricey and, by come measures at least, functionally uncompetitive. But their stuff is spiritually competitive. To Harley and us all, that means everything." - Cook Neilson
Getting tariffs imposed to protect your market and excellent brand marketing will do that. It's a business success story, no doubt. It's not an example of doing it through engineering, though. Which gets us right back to the new motors, I believe.

"At Harley-Davidson™ we don't sell motorcycles. We sell a lifestyle and an image. The motorcycle is secondary in the purchase."

Former Chairman and Chief Executive Office of Harley Davidson Jeffrey Bluestein :eek:

As for the new motors, The Motor Company™ is moving in the right direction. As I said before, Harley-Davidson™ only trails Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Victory in available displacement. Before the new engine was available they trailed Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Victory. They have moved from 5th place to 5th place. About the usual pace of "innovation" at Harley-Davidson™.

Harley Davidson, when only the finest in kickstand technology will do.... :lol: