HD unveils new engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I KNOW we're going to get another round of claims that this is JUST about bashing HD for the sake of bashing HD. You guys think what you like. But at some point, we're allowed to discuss the technology issues of different bikes, even if negative comments about HD in that regard are blasphemy to the pious.

One bike that really intrigues me and has since it came out, is the Buell Ullyses. Problem is that it's powered by an overweight, underpowered Sportster motor -- made by HD and not much changed for decades, of course. If the motor in that bike had innovations on a par with the rest of the bike, it'd probably be well up my dual sport jones list. That's just me -- probably lots of guys buy it BECAUSE it has that Sportster anvil in it. For my tastes, though, I wish Eric Buell would get hold of an RC51 engine, retune it for dual sport use and let's see what kind of a bike that might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take this however you want because I really don't give a shit.

My brother-n-law owns a Harley and his decision was based on sitting and riding many different bikes Jap and American to find a bike that fit him best and the type of riding he wanted to do. In the end the Harley was what he felt was the bike for HIM!

I commend him for that and more power to him. He is constantly wanting to ride the bikes I own just to see what else is out there and going on in the bike world. AWESOME ATTITUDE..

Now here comes the ones I can't stand and will never Understand.

I have many friends that growing up bashed every bike but HD. They would never own anything else and it was prejudice as thick as any other prejudice. If you road a jap bike you were anti-american. It wasn't about anything about the bikes in particular but to them they were the BEST because they were AMERICAN, end of story nothing else to discuss in their mind.

When they see other bikes in their mind they don't understand how anyone wouldn't want a HD.

It is this simple minded mentality that gets me!!!

I have 2 other HD owning friends who have owned them for years and are now thinking about buying either a pure sport bike or a bike like the fjr. They are open minded and we can sit around and discuss bikes, what we like about our current ones and what we would like to see in our next.

HD does not equal supporting your country and this is what I see in many HD owners...

HD does not equal supporting your country and this is what I see in many HD owners...
I hear you and I agree, prejudice is prejudice. I like your friends feel an affinity for a variety of bikes, I would like to own, and have owned many different bikes, most all have something unique to offer. However, not to quibble (although we do that so well on this forum, and even though you don't give a shit anyway), I don't understand why you feel buying an American made product from an American based corporation is not supporting our country/economy? The profit dollars from the sale of each cycle/product stays at home and does not flow to a foreign based corporation. I believe that would qualify as supporting our economy, would it not?

I hear you and I agree, prejudice is prejudice. I like your friends feel an affinity for a variety of bikes, I would like to own, and have owned many different bikes, most all have something unique to offer. However, not to quibble (although we do that so well on this forum, and even though you don't give a shit anyway), I don't understand why you feel buying an American made product from an American based corporation is not supporting our country/economy? The profit dollars from the sale of each cycle/product stays at home and does not flow to a foreign based corporation. I believe that would qualify as supporting our economy, would it not?
No doubt but you know the dealership, salesmen/women, mechanics, truck drivers, etc etc that I buy all of my Jap bikes from are all AMERICAN!!!

My bike burns the same expensive 91 octane fuel not rice from some asian rice patty field!!!

Oh for that matter don't start trying to tell me no parts from HD don't come from Japan.

Where are the parts of your computer from?

Even the HD clothes???

I know you are a smart guy and I don't have to tell you any of this.

No doubt but you know the dealership, salesmen/women, mechanics, truck drivers, etc etc that I buy all of my Jap bikes from are all AMERICAN!!!

My bike burns the same expensive 91 octane fuel not rice from some asian rice patty field!!!
Yes, true but the profit (that is the profit the manufacturer makes on the sale of the bike to the dealer, which is several times the amount the dealer makes on the sale the bike to you) goes, in your case, to the land of the rising sun.

The VRSC powerplant in any of their other bikes would be an improvement. But it will probably take 50 years or so before they get around to it.

They also need to do away with the flexi-flyer frames. First time in 30 years of riding that I was ever nervous on a bike was riding through the canyons of Utah on a Harley-Davidson™ Anniversary Edition bagger in 2004. Most unstable bike in the corners I have ever been on, including my very first Schwinn. Twitching, darting and dragging parts through the entire corner. Their frames need alot of help. Perhaps Porsche can engineer something for them. They obviously don't have the resources to do it on their own.

Yes, true but the profit (that is the profit the manufacturer makes on the sale of the bike to the dealer, which is several times the amount the dealer makes on the sale the bike to you) goes, in your case, to the land of the rising sun.
I added a few comments above but just to repeat hd parts come from jap and the clothing!!! So you too are supporting Jap

Kinda hard to keep up with you Sparky - your all over the place. I didn't try to tell you that no HD parts come from Japan, I don't know what is or isn't produced in this country. I believe what you are trying to describe is 'product content. Some of HD parts (and accessories) I'm sure do come from and are manufatured overseas, so what? How does that change anything? Bottom line is - when you buy a product from a foreign owned corporation - the profits (made when the manufacturer sells the product to the supply chain) go to that corporation, in the country where it is located. If it is an overseas corporation the profits go overseas.

Kinda hard to keep up with you Sparky - your all over the place. I didn't try to tell you that no HD parts come from Japan, I don't know what is or isn't produced in this country. I believe what you are trying to describe is 'product content. Some of HD parts (and accessories) I'm sure do come from and are manufatured overseas, so what? How does that change anything? Bottom line is - when you buy a product from a foreign owned corporation - the profits (made when the manufacturer sells the product to the supply chain) go to that corporation, in the country where it is located. If it is an overseas corporation the profits go overseas.
All over the place??? I mentioned my friends connection between HD and USA support.

You didn't understand how I don't see the relation and that I am supporting Japan by buying japanese bikes.

I pointed out how I am still supporting Americans.

While you want to nit pick that while some portions go to Americans, some portion also goes back to Japan.

So I pointed out that purchasing a HD also sends money to Japan as many parts on a HD are still made elsewhere. The clothing which we all know is a major part of the HD corporation is not made here either.

So in conclusion my point was that those who buy HD thinking they are red blooded Americans supporting only American corportations are in fact blind and are also sending money to Japan.

Also if you go one step more. HD sells bikes in almost every country. Creating an economy for local merchants, salesmen, mechanics in those regions so they also support other countries.

So really WTF does it matter!!!

Ran into a Feejer out on the open road today in a slow zone (doing some road work). That sums-a-bitch gave me the cold shoulder when I passed him, very typical I might add. :D

:( I give up -
Give up on what???

Nothing to give up on!!!

I understand everything you are saying. You seem to think that because a bigger portion goes to America that is ok because the percentage is different. So what, a portion still goes out of the country. Heck if you want to get real pissy on the economy issue the employs of the HD factories and stores should be restricted from buying Hondas, Toyota etc and no one is allowed to own cell phones, radio's, computers nothing as they are then sending HD american money back to Japan.

It is a circle and the exact reason I don't understand my friends reasoning behind only buying HD because they are American???

I "gave" up, got me a nice cruiser that is waaaaaay more comfy for doing the distance than the Feejer. To each his own. I've owned standard, sport, sport touring & cruiser bikes. Some of those new cruiser baggers are wonderful bikes, but they look like H-D's. Heaven forbid. :yahoo:

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I "gave" up, got me a nice cruiser that is waaaaaay more comfy for doing the distance than the Feejer. To each his own. I've owned standard, sport, sport touring & cruiser bikes. Some of those new cruiser baggers are wonderful bikes, but they look like H-D's. Heaven forbid. :yahoo:
Good for ya! As far as waving, I don't wave at anyone unless they wave to me. I am passed all day by people on all kinds of bikes that don't wave. Sometimes every type of bikes that passes me does wave and I wave back, I don't associate it with the bike. Just some people wave at bikes some don't.

I use to own Jap cruisers and enjoyed them but I really didn't know anything else.

Recently I road a few HD's and I like them very much.

While I enjoy my sport bike very much and don't see myself ever going back to cruisers, if I do the HD will be near the top of the list. I have a few others I am interested in such as the Victory and some "customs" such as big dog etc.

For now tho the GSXR will be with me a long time!!!

Enjoy your cruise

NnnOOOOO! not the dead horse!!!!