Heading South

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does SE mean Richland? Dont forget a Spudnut.
Are you going to get as far north as Mt Baker? The road to Artist Point will have you looking in your view mirror to see the road ahead.
There are lots of PNW forumites if you have BC/WA questions.
-Steve
The road to Artist Point looks fun but I don’t know if I’ll try that this trip. I’ll likely come across hwy 3 in BC to Osoyoos after riding the west side of the Koocanusa as recommended to me by Big Sky on this forum many years ago. I followed many of his other suggestions and am very thankful for his guidance before he passed.
I plan to come across the North Cascades and then go down to Paradise at Mt Rainier. Not decided about Mt St Helens but if the wrist is holding up I would like to do rattlesnake grade / Hells canyon before headed back east.

All FJR worthy travels. Paradise area can be spendy, if thats where you are staying the night.
Have fun, stay safe and post a ride report.
-Steve

Some final thoughts -
The heat was a real challenge. The FJR has too much weather protection when its 95F+. At least for me. Standing on the pegs at speed so some air could run thru my gear was helpful.
A literal lifesaver -View attachment 7723
This half gal water jug sits on the passenger peg, secured with the small Roc-strap. The idea isnt mine, another forumite posted a rig like this with hose and bite valve, sorry, I cant recall who. A few times I had to fill this twice in the same day.

The high elevation was another factor, combined with the high temps. I think I was 7 or 8 days in a row above 7500’ in elevation, 2 or 3 above 8500’. I live at 270’, like 5 blocks from an ocean beach.

Total trip mileage was 4354, 47.12mpg overall, which seems high but I did the math twice, so I think its right. North Bend WA had the most expensive fuel, $4.499, and Green River WY was the least expensive $3.189. Very little extra legal speed may have contributed to the mileage number.

Thx to all who came along for the ride and the positive comments.
Ride safe and enjoy the rest of the summer.
-Steve
If you got the hydration idea from me it's because I got it from looking at the fancy, read more costly set ups. But hey it works. (y)

Attachments

• fjr n tent.jpg
    fjr n tent.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
Jiiihaaaa now i know how you felt. we had 35°c in the shadow (95°F i did the conversion for you )
and i did not put my motor jacket and protecting pants on, because i was all ready sweating before i was on the bike!
stopped at some friend for some drinks :)

20240811_153926.jpg

later this week went to the woods, hoped it was cooler down to the water, but still to hot to walk more then 10 km.
I truly admire you for driving several days in that temperature!!
IMG_0031.JPG