Headlight Modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Kisan modulators.. High beam only, so I can choose when I want to run em.
That is the way they are supposed to work. They are legal in all 50 states and Canada, but they must go on only with the high beam and they must have a light sensor so they don't modulate at night.

I did have a failure one early morning when it was below freezing overnight and my FJR was parked in a hotel parking lot. I headed out well before sunrise and my modulator kicked in unexpectedly when I flipped on the high beams. I chalked it up to the cold affecting the electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an opportunity to start looking at LED lights for modulation. There is no filament to worry about and there are a bunch of ways to modulate power through the LEDs. Unfortunately you can't just put a filament modulator on a LED light. Is it fair to simply strobe the LEDs like an airplane's position beacon?

One needs to respect others requests to turn off a modulator. Flashing lights can trigger seizure-like events in folks that don't even know why they'e bothered by them.

Bringing up your handgun is really out of place here.

I've had one on my 2004 Mean Streak for 10 years. (It's on the list for my 2012 FJR I just purchased.) Still using the same headlight bulb; never replaced it. As indicated, mine also is switchable by turning on the brights during the day. I don't keep mine on all the time and turn it off whenever riding in a group. I figure when in a group I am noticeable enough. But standard riding, bright days, whenever I feel prompted to, I turn it on and use it. There are multiple situations where I am confident that this, like my taillight modulator, got me noticed.

Interesting!! I do not pack my S&W .357 when riding and do not drink Colt 45. I do however have a couple Double IPA's after a nice day of riding. Park the bike first!!

I had a very bad experience with a modulator I had on a Gold Wing . I was riding along in the left lane & the guy in front of me must have thought I was flashing my bright lights @ him. He slambed on his brakes while we where doing 65mph & didn't let off !!. This was an extreme 'Brown" moment ! ! He just about came to a stop on the expressway ! I had a panic stop-that I had been practicing ,luckily. @

that point I was looking for Rocket launchers to install on the "Wing" !

Any way, I will not put those on my FJR , I can't do another situation like that - I was Very lucky . Sliick

I would have to agree with Ionbeam - but with a touch of a different perspective.....

Having external "highquality" LED light - allows you to have a TEMP COLOR of your choosing - after riding my 05 for 10 years and adding the LEDRIDER LR4's - I can't express enough how much more I am being seen and NOT just blending in with the natural surroundings of the world...

Even with the strip of the side marker LED's that come on the Gen 3, I honestly don't feel they are anywhere near as bright or noticeable as the LR4 lights, which are adjustable if you get the dimmer with them....

I have found that when running down the road with the LR4's on the lowest setting - if I feel that I haven't been noticed by someone that might encroach on my path - I flash the brights and get the LR4's to full blast - those same infiltrators moving towards my path instantly slam on their brakes - wide eyed..... they have saved my butt more times then I can count.... worth every penny....

Need to figure out a way to install them on the 15, might be on the front fender side bolts - since the mirrors mounts have not yet become an option....

After a particularly close call with a left turner trying to cut across my lane a few years ago, I'm talking I watched that bumper pass only inches away from by left leg and saddle bags; I started running the Comagination modulator. I don't run it all of the time; and absolutely believe it has saved me from having to evade daydreaming cagers.

• I don't run it when I'm following.
  • I will run it when I have the lead, and clear road ahead.
  • I will run it when trailing folks camping out in the fast lane!
IMO, I recommend them and put them on all of my bikes.

I am a firm believer in modulators. I am sure they have gotten the attention of many drivers that would have tried to kill me because of talking on the phone, texting, being in a hurry, or just being incompetent, uncaring assholes. This also illustrates why carrying your .45 is always a good idea. You never know what kind of asshole you may run into, and I have vowed never to be a helpless victim, if I can avoid it.

May I just say that Headlight modulators don't switch between On and Off. They modulate the output between 100% and around 30%.

I believe the impact on the longevity of the bulb is minimal, and that they do not flash, they dim and brighten at a frequency not known to be harmful so epileptics should really have few fears from them.

They are annoying to motorists if you follow the same vehicle for any length of time.

I have, and have had for many years, modulators on all my bikes. I've run thousands of miles of experiments and am convinced that they can be quite effective as cage repellents. IF USED CORRECTLY. It's a tool. Like your sidearm, it doesn't put a protective shield around you. It offers protection only if you develop the requisite skills, maintain a high order of situational awareness, and are prepared to use it when needed.

What I've discovered is: Riding with the modulator on at all times is a waste of time. And may well result in the guy riding in front of you dismounting at the first stop and smacking you in the mouth for giving him vertigo. On the other hand; If there's a creeper (one of those half wits who can't decide if he's stopping or going) at right angles to you at the intersection or coming at you in the left turn lane, if you wait until you're 50-100 yards out and hit him with the modulator it will, nine times out of ten, freeze him in his tracks. Same thing with the dimwit drifting into your lane. You position your self right in his mirrors and hit the modulator. In the great majority of cases this will pop him right to the other side of his lane.

In short, the modulator is used to suddenly introduce visual disruption in the cager's filed of view. Left on all the time, it merely fades into the rest of the optical noise out there.

...they can be quite effective as cage repellents. IF USED CORRECTLY. It's a tool...If there's a creeper (one of those half wits who can't decide if he's stopping or going) at right angles to you...hit him with the modulator it will...freeze him in his tracks. Same thing with the dimwit drifting into your lane. You position your self right in his mirrors and hit the modulator....
Same technique I used with my PIAA driving lights and now with my LED lights that are triggered with the high beam. If the nimrod offending driver is in front of me, I make sure the lights hit him in his mirrors and may slightly wiggle the handlebars creating an affect similar to headlight modulators. So far the ratio of drivers pulling over vs getting pissed is around 100:1. Often it is just a matter of waking up a totally vegged out driver. We rode back from an EOM with the Axeman he commented that it was amazing the way people pulled over for me but he didn't know why.

One other point I neglected to make -- the main reason I have a headlight modulator: It flashes eight times when I hit the horn. So, in addition to my air horn going off loudly, my headlight flashes. This is worth having even if I didn't have the option of running the modulator at other times. I still feel that using them appropriately can be a big benefit.

Aside from comagnination, what is the consensus on the best plug-and-play modulator that can be configured to run the hi-beam?

My vote is Kisan is a 15 minute job - i fed the light sensor up through the back of panel b

I have said modulator but i actually rarely use it, as i added led lights that with low beam make me very visible, however as akjistu said , where i feel a need for more visibility, mainly when approaching on-rampers who feel the need to to jump in the HOV lane and not looking. On group rides when i only had the modulator and i was asked to run high beam (sweeping) , i carried some electric tape and just taped over the sensor so it thought it was night

Bill, As you can see their are different opinions on modulators. I say do what you think is best for you. Use common sense when following bikes or cars. They are easy to turn on or off. I have just ordered one for my gen 3. I had one on my gen1 and felt that I was more noticeable. I already have the yellow jacket and helmet. In Georgia I feel I need all the help I can get.

Aside from comagnination, what is the consensus on the best plug-and-play modulator that can be configured to run the hi-beam?
Check out https://www.pashnit.com/product/signal_dynamics.html . Nice thing about these units is you can wire them to modulated high or low beam. I have Clearwater Lights wired to my high beam switch so running a modulator on the high beam filament would make the Clearwaters go nuts. Having ridden with others that have this particular unit installed, I have seen how it gets the attention of California drivers. I've ridden in front of motos with modulators and they don't bother me and that's probably because those folks have them installed on low beam. For the FJR, I wouldn't modulate both but I would intstall on just one side, low beam.

Here is an opportunity to start looking at LED lights for modulation. There is no filament to worry about and there are a bunch of ways to modulate power through the LEDs. Unfortunately you can't just put a filament modulator on a LED light. Is it fair to simply strobe the LEDs like an airplane's position beacon?
Just saw this thread...

Years back, at Deals Gap, I saw a Goldwing with a white strobe (like atop a school bus). As I re-call, I think it was mounted under his front fairing.

Like a school bus with it on, it certainly wasn't obnoxious or annoying and was quite visable...

To find a very small unit like that, probably velcro (with a switch or tie into the running lights) would be the cats meow...

Simple, effective, visable without being bothersome..

I use Signal Dynamics Plug N Play Modulators on three of my bikes. Good price, easy installation and I've not noticed any shortening of bulb life.

Although I've heard a lot of people say they dislike them, they see them, correct? Isn't that what it is all about - being seen?

If I'm on a ride with others or have fallen in behind someone traveling my speed on the freeway, I will turn them off.

Cagers are stupid. And because they are stupid and distracted, they will do unexpected things on the road....especially Tommy and Tammy Teenager.

Modulators serve to confuse cagers. We've heard stories of people slamming on the brakes, pulling over, cagers turning left in front of the bike because he thought the bike was blinking "go ahead", and on and on. Modulators are confused with LEO, confused with EMS, and causes the cager to perform sudden and unexpected moves. Modulators are not understood by police, and there are many stories about police citing those running modulators. Just becasue they are legal does not mean that LEO knows all the technical aspects nor does it mean that LEO is an expert on the law pertaining to modulators nor does it mean that he won't cite you. It's happend several times to others and will continue to happen to those that insist on running these irritating devices.

All this said, and it's all true, it seems to me that the downside to modulators heavily outweighs the upside of the visibility they are intended to provide. There are much better and safer ways to make your bike more frontally visible.

And for the dude bragging about your damn gun....
icon_special.gif