Heli Triple Clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancasterFJR

Reaction score
I have had the Heli TC installed for several months now. Sorry to say, but the bike isn't nearly as comfortable as I had hoped it to be. I am thinking of removing it and going back to the stock TC.

As you recall, the Heli install was quite an involved process that included drilling off the tamper proof nuts at the bottom of the ignition assembly. So, basically what is left is the original TC with two partially sawn off screws that, I am sure, cannot be removed from the TC.

Just wondering if any one has reinstalled the stock TC and what that involves. Any thoughts? Sam

The sawn off bolts will come out - they are just in with loctite. So, clamp them in a vice and rotate the top yoke. They do come out (I have done it).

Having said that, I too am thinking of reverting back. The bar grip angle has changed and it's not too comfortable. But I'll see how it goes for a week or so.

Alan

Yep Ive taken my bolts outs as well! If they prove to be stubborn a little heat added to

the process would do the trick but I really dont think you are going to need it!

The sawn off bolts will come out - they are just in with loctite. So, clamp them in a vice and rotate the top yoke. They do come out (I have done it).
Having said that, I too am thinking of reverting back. The bar grip angle has changed and it's not too comfortable. But I'll see how it goes for a week or so.

Alan
Could you be a little more specific about what it is that you dont like about the new grip angle? I thought that the Heli rotated the bars forward a little more than stock, which is the way my hands seem to want to be anyhow. Is there something else different about the grip angle or does this just not happen to fit you?

Thanks

Roy

Alan
Could you be a little more specific about what it is that you dont like about the new grip angle? I thought that the Heli rotated the bars forward a little more than stock, which is the way my hands seem to want to be anyhow. Is there something else different about the grip angle or does this just not happen to fit you?

Thanks

Roy
Roy

While waiting for Alan's response, I'll give mine. I like the Heli a lot. Excellent workmanship and well thought out. The probalem has to do with the particular rider. In my case, I have neck and thoracic arthritis and I feel a little less comforable setting up straight as the Heli forces you to do. There is also more buffeting despite having a larger screen (I have a v-storm). I am sure the combination of seat/handlebar/screen/rider is very individual and what works for one rider may not work for another. Heli will take their TC back minus a percentage if you are not satisfied. May be worth a try. Sam

Alan

Thanks

Roy
The bars seem to be turned towards me - when what I want is for them to be straighter. Also, sitting further back, I seem to be more "remote" from the screen. Buffetting is not a problem.

Anyway, they are coming off tomorrow and I'll see how the original ones feel.

Alan

The bars seem to be turned towards me - when what I want is for them to be straighter. Also, sitting further back, I seem to be more "remote" from the screen. Buffetting is not a problem.

Alan
Thats odd, I thought the Heli clamp rotated the bars forward slightly, thereby straightening them as you say you want them. That is certainly how I want them, if they are rotated back towards you instead then that makes the angle situation worse instead of better.

Roy

Alan
Thats odd, I thought the Heli clamp rotated the bars forward slightly, thereby straightening them as you say you want them. That is certainly how I want them, if they are rotated back towards you instead then that makes the angle situation worse instead of better.

Roy
No they are back. I know this because I have a PTT switch on the LH handlebar. With the Heli's on, it just touches my baglux cover on full lock and has made a mark. With the ordinary top yoke on, the PTT switch is OUTSIDE the line - indicating that the heli's pulled the bars in as well as pulling them back.

Alan

I am also considering going back to a stock clamp. Anybody know the size/pitch of the ignition cyl bolts that get destroyed in the removal process?

I bought my bike with the Heli installed and have no info.

Thanks!

I am also considering going back to a stock clamp. Anybody know the size/pitch of the ignition cyl bolts that get destroyed in the removal process?I bought my bike with the Heli installed and have no info.

Thanks!
I think the bolts that hold the ignition assembly to the Heli TC should also work with the stock TC. Sam