Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your going to Daytona, stop by The Helmet Shop. They are some of the most professional helmet people I know. If you by one, you can put your old helmet in the box and ship it home. Usually free shipping.

I use a neotec for the last 4years, I wear glasses, so modular is the best. I wear a large, went to cycle gear to try on a Schubert's c3 pro and needed an XL, lt was just too tight. Whilst there they mentioned the c4 is coming out next month so there may be deals to be had on the c3. So I'm going to wait till it comes out and see what happens

I have a Neotec, before that a Multitec, before that a Spyder, and then something else. All modular. I love to be able to open it up to get a drink out of the hose to my footpeg-mounted water bottle, or to just let in some cooler air. Or to talk to somebody, ask for directions, spit out a bug or whatever I want to spit out. And as a recent thread reminds us, have somebody be able to give me CPR without trying to pull off my helmet, should it ever be wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the best helmet you can afford. An ex-girlfriend who rode v-twins asked me, "Why do you spend so much on your helmets?" To which I replied, "How many heads do you have?"

Most important is fit.

Heads and helmets come in a wide variety of shapes.

Fit is also a major factor in the quietness or noise level of the helmet.

It is my experience that a well fitting cheap helmet can be quieter than a more expensive one that doesn't conform to your head quite as well.

Shoei RF1200 may not be the best choice for use on sports touring bike. I will compare 2 of my helmets. HJC RPHA 11 (similar to Shoei RF1200) is designed for tucked race position, when I wear this helmet the vent doesn't flow air that well on the FJR. But on CBR 1000, it flows a whole lot of air due to tucked riding position. My other helmet HJC RPHA max is for sports touring bikes and flows a lot more air thru the vents when riding the FJR, because this helmet is designed for more upright riding position. If you want a Shoei and use it on the FJR primarily, the better choice would be GT Air.

Agree about the fit, but I try to get a brand that has a reputation for quality. Really don't want to find that the "deal" I got didn't have great quality control.

My wife and I t-boned a van at 55mph, I went head first into where the passenger door pillar meets the drip rail (the first hit) and my Shoei did everything it was suppose to. Chin bar actually cracked from the impact. Never will I question the price again!

Helmets and boots are probably the 2 most subjective things you'll ever buy. I've had Arai, HJC, Bell, and Shoei helmets through my riding life. Currently I have an Arai Corsair V and a Shoei Neotech. Both fit differently yet I'm comfortable in either. Wife and I each got Neotechs shortly after we started rallying and long distance riding. The ability fo flip up the chinbar to grab a quick drink or snack is a feature I'll never again go without. If you have any doubts about their abilities in an accident just look for RedFishHunter's recent posts about Pop's accident. He put up some photos of his dad's Neotech helmet after a crash and I'm quite impressed.

Ultimately you need to find what fits your head. When you try one on let it on for a while.The typical 5 minutes or so is not enough. My wife choked on the prices initially but after wearing a HJC then a Shoei for at least 15 minutes each in the store she began to understand the difference in the comfort of each. Not that HJC is a bad helmet, it's not. The materials and the way they feel against your skin and your scalp, the ventilation, even how tightly the face shield closes all come into play and you get what you pay for.

Good luck

Bought my wife a neotech for Christmas from motorcycle superstore. They could not ship right away so they gave me a substantial discount.

Second helmet I bought from them. So far been good to work with.

I've always been a die hard full face helmet guy. I've work, Shoei, Arai, and Suomy being my favorite. However, after the recent event of Pop's crash, I've decided to go with a Neotec as well. I tried on every helmet there was at Iron Pony before deciding on the Shoei for comfort and fit. That's the most important thing, like everyone has said. What fits my melon, won't fit yours. And so what if the one that fits the best is $$$. You only get one head, it's worth protecting.

Shoei RF1200 may not be the best choice for use on sports touring bike. I will compare 2 of my helmets. HJC RPHA 11 (similar to Shoei RF1200) is designed for tucked race position, when I wear this helmet the vent doesn't flow air that well on the FJR. But on CBR 1000, it flows a whole lot of air due to tucked riding position. My other helmet HJC RPHA max is for sports touring bikes and flows a lot more air thru the vents when riding the FJR, because this helmet is designed for more upright riding position. If you want a Shoei and use it on the FJR primarily, the better choice would be GT Air.
I have both helmets and prefer to use the GT - Air, however the RF - 1200 is snell and dot approved where the GT - Air is only dot approved.

When I had worne out my X-Lite 1002 I really wanted a Schubert C3....but it just didn´t fit my head, so I got me a Shoei Neotec and it´s perfect for my head.

(Shoei Neotec has better noise reduction than X-Lite 1002.)

Same with me.. local dealer had a ducati test ride day, and they also had loaner C3s. I tried a couple of sizes and it wasn't as comfortable as my Multitec, so when it was time to get a new helmet, I just found a Neotec that fit, and I've been happy ever since.

I started a thread about a year ago where I asked: Are more expensive motorcycle helmets really any safer?

After over 60 posts the conclusion was that spending more doesn't necessarily get you a safer helmet, but you do generally get more creature comforts, which should not be totally ignored in the purchase decision, especially considering the amount of time you'll have your squash squeezed into that bucket.

In the end I sucked it up and bought myself a Shoei Neotech, which is about the best helmet I found all things considered. Getting a pinlock shield with the helmet also softened the price shock a little. I did buy it in plain white, both for the higher visibility of the white, good heat reflectivity of the lighter color, and also because it is cheaper than other colors or graphics (except black). Almost a year later, I am very happy with my decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't it take you a while to actually use the pinlock insert? Seem to recall some resistance, but perhaps I'm thinking of someone else?
rolleyes.gif

No, your remembery is good, that was me. I was hesitant to use it at first since there is a bunch of liability covering language about not using them at night, but I am a convert to the pinlock system now, and I no longer want to be without it.