Help me ride into the World Record books!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Sleezee board, we all donated enough to get him a replacement, as he was so fed up with the whole FJR debacle (he gets emotional sometimes) that he was kissing the marque off completely. The bike he has now was a wreck purchased and fixed up with that dough (a deer hit IIRC), he's still involved with the FJR bunch, so mission accomplished. No-one who contributed has asked for their money back, so I would say all is well that ends well.
To add to the story, I believe he bought "Deerslayer" because it had decent miles on it, and to that point was tick free. The commonly held belief being that if you passed a certain mileage with no sign of tick, it was less likely to appear. Guess that belief needs some additional work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know after reading a lot of these posts most people are positive to Mr. Warchild in his pursuit of this incredible run he is going to attempt.

To those of you who are worried about what might be done with money you donated to this very unselfish dude,you shouldn't have donated period.

I've been on the sleazeboard and this board since inception and have gained much more then I've given so if you make it dale I'll sling back a cold one for ya brother.

I think you're planning is well thought out, give it hell.Sorry for the Mr. shit, I just try and respect my elders and such.

Dale,

I wish you the best to accomplish this. You are truly an inspiration - there is no value that can be placed on what you have given us (this forum included, BTW.) Any dollars needed is paltry and hardly repays the debt. Now if I can remember my PayPal account login...

I wish we could watch you realtime. Is there any chance you could strap a GPS/phone tracking device so that we can watch you as travel the country?? Oh, and 2 webcams - 1 of you and 1 of the road so we can feel like you do. Now that would be coooool!! :clapping:

I just realized that you are going to put over 2x the miles on your bike in 1 week than I have on mine in 2 years!! Nutjob! :blink:

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale,
I wish you the best to accomplish this. You are truly an inspiration - there is no value that can be placed on what you have given us (this forum included, BTW.) Any dollars needed is paltry and hardly repays the debt. Now if I can remember my PayPal account login...

I wish we could watch you realtime. Is there any chance you could strap a GPS/phone tracking device so that we can watch you as travel the country?? Oh, and 2 webcams - 1 of you and 1 of the road so we can feel like you do. Now that would be coooool!! :clapping:

I just realized that you are going to put over 2x the miles on your bike in 1 week than I have on mine in 2 years!! Nutjob! :blink:

-BD
Dude, he's hooked up to sat tracking, just like the last IBR. You'll be able to follow his route, IIRHSC. Hey, I got a better idea! How 'bout in lieu of gas coinage, you donate some of your un-used miles. God only knows (as do the rest of us) you have thousands upon thousands of them...

:****:

Dude, he's hooked up to sat tracking, just like the last IBR. You'll be able to follow his route, IIRHSC. Hey, I got a better idea! How 'bout in lieu of gas coinage, you donate some of your un-used miles. God only knows (as do the rest of us) you have thousands upon thousands of them... :****:
Boom-tishhhh

bing.jpg

Dale,I wish we could watch you realtime. Is there any chance you could strap a GPS/phone tracking device so that we can watch you as travel the country?? Oh, and 2 webcams - 1 of you and 1 of the road so we can feel like you do. Now that would be coooool!! :clapping:
Dude, he's hooked up to sat tracking, just like the last IBR. You'll be able to follow his route, IIRHSC.
That's the plan, anyway.... but I seem to have less than good luck with the Star -Traxx system. Satillite coverage here in the extreme Pacific Northwest has not been 100% solid. On top of that, my Star-Traxx transceiver is in the shop to update the firmware... I hope to have it back for a BBG3000 training run this upcoming Friday/Saturday.

So ASSuming it works as advertised when I get it back, I'll set up a "Guest Account" that you'll can access and watch me throughout the week, similar to the IBR guys two years ago..

Fron June 30 - July 6, I will shatter that record by completing an ENTIRE WEEK of documented Bun Burner GOLD rides! That's seven (7) consecutive days - riding 1,500 miles per day - which will result in a combined 10,500 miles in one week's time!
Now here comes the problem.....
Umm.. all this in Nevada? I've only passed thru Nevada once, but it seems to me Nevada is a desert state, typically hot in the day, and chilly at night. So, Nevada in July is gonna be sweltering in the day, and freezing at night? For the day time temperature issues, might i suggest changing one external fuel tank for a water tank with a pump and a spritzer nozzle like they have at the amusement parks. And at night, well, bundle up after drying off.

Umm.. all this in Nevada? I've only passed thru Nevada once, but it seems to me Nevada is a desert state, typically hot in the day, and chilly at night. So, Nevada in July is gonna be sweltering in the day, and freezing at night? For the day time temperature issues, might i suggest changing one external fuel tank for a water tank with a pump and a spritzer nozzle like they have at the amusement parks. And at night, well, bundle up after drying off.
Rest assured, he's got the Nevada thing down pretty well. ;)

As with any financial decision I need a list of plus and minuses:

+ : Invaluable technical support over the years.

One hilarious deer strike story.

Introduction to the soup sandwich.

- : Putting my whole riding season in one week, firmly establsihing me as a candy butt rider.

All right I'm in for a few gallons, where do I get that candy butt sticker from? :lol:

I wrestled quite a while trying to decide to post this or not, but... if I don't do something soon, the event may not happen at all.
Here is the deal:

I intend to establish a new World Record for Endurance Riding, and I intend to use the Blackbird to do it. This ride has been almost a year in planning.

One of the Iron Butt Association's "Extreme" Rides is known as the Bun Burner GOLD, which is a documented ride that covers 1,500 miles in less than 24 hours. There's also a "BBG3000", which is two back-to-back Bun Burner GOLD rides. In 2003, I was rallymaster for such a ride, and myself and 25 other riders set a new World Record during that event.

Since that time, several adventurous souls have tried to better this mark by attempting 3 (and even 4!) back-to-back BunBurner GOLD riders. As of this writing, a very small handful of riders have been able to complete three (3) documented back-to-back Bun Burner GOLD rides, and one has managed to complete four (4) consecutive Bun Burner GOLD rides. The latter is the current record as of this writing.

Fron June 30 - July 6, I will shatter that record by completing an ENTIRE WEEK of documented Bun Burner GOLD rides! That's seven (7) consecutive days - riding 1,500 miles per day - which will result in a combined 10,500 miles in one week's time!

When I first started planning this project almost a year ago, I budgeted gasoline at $2.70/gallon. Now that it is closing in on $4.00/gallon in some of the regions I'll be riding in, this is turning out to be a huge issue. I am endeavoring to mitigate the problem by introducing steps to increase my MPG range (throttling back a little, doing painfully slow starts, and going up to a 18T countersprocket, etc).

However, I now calculate that I am several hundred dollars short on my fuel budget.

It's demoralizing, in that I have actually garnered quite a bit of sponsorship for this event already.... Avon North America is providing tires (3 sets of Storms), Western Power Sports has donated a case of Silkolene 10-50W Race Synthetic and 4 K&N oil filters: BLM-Accessories.com built and donated the extra fuel cells to allow me to carry 21.6 gallons of fuel, VancoSport has donated chain and sprockets, etc, etc, etc.

Yet, I'm unlikely to find a oil company that's going to give me a unlimited fuel card, so... fuel cost I must bear alone.

I will need approximately 375 gallons of fuel strictly during the event itself As fuel is going for $3.50 to $4.00 per gallon, event fuel cost alone is going to run me anywhere from $1400 to $1500!!!!

ONLY IF YOU FEEL SO INCLINED, you can donate to help me put a mark in the World Record books buy tossing some $$$ into a PayPal account set up strictly for this "Bun Burner GOLD Hell Week" event:

[email protected]

No amount is to large or too small; all amounts are graciously accepted. I will be using these donations for a single purpose only: to purchase pre-paid gas card from Shell, Chevron, Mobil One, etc. This way, I don't have to be concerned of a credit card/debit card going offline due to the bank seeing heavy number of fuel purchases every day from June 30-July 6.

If you don't (or won't) do PayPal, you can certainly send donations by snail-mail and/or purchase fuel cards directly and send them my way! You can score pre-paid gas cards at https://www.svmcards.net Just drop me a PM if you need a mailing address for me.

Well, there it is folks...... if I'm going to set a World Record, I need a little help from my forum brethren.

Again, any donation at all is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!

Web Site for this event: BunBurner GOLD Hell Week

FrtRtQtr_KA-6D.jpg
Twenty five on way via pay pal.I hope the Nevada heat doesnt smoke you Dale

June 13 Update:

Finally got the Speedohealer all dialed-in to re-calibrate the Blackbird's odometer.

The stock odometer wasn't terribly accurate before making gear changes, but after going up one tooth up front to a 18T counter-sprocket, my odometer was reading artificially high.

Got a Speedohealer v3.0 installed, and after several trial & error settings, my stock odometer, the Sigma BC1200 and the GPSIII+ all singing and dancing in harmony. When the GPS says 100.0 miles, the Sigma reads 100.1 miles, and the stock odometer reads 100.3 miles. Can't beat that!

Departing Friday morning at 5AM for another BBG3000 training run..... this is essentially the last "warm-up" run I'll get to do. The following weekend (June 22-24) is the Utah 1088. The Friday after that.... BBG Hell Week starts! :eek:

June 26 update:

I am sad to report a rather major setback has occurred.

As many of you know, last weekend (June 22-24) was the Utah 1088 rally, which I was going to use as yet another training run in preparation for BBGHW. Thursday evening, there was a BBQ at the rallymaster's house that I attended.

Unfortunately, being about 105 degrees outside, I failed to properly put both feet of the centerstand on concrete.... you guessed it; after a while the bike starts to sink into the asphalt and tilt to the right. Myself and some others dashed over to pull the bike upright. I slung a leg over it just as it begins to completely topple. As soon as the bike began to fall, the three or four other dudes who were standing RIGHT THERE next to the bike just danced out of the way! I mean, they LEAPED out of the way like fudge-packing ballerina dudes. :angry2:

So now the Blackbird is lying on it's right side. I gather the 3-4 dudes to help me pick up the bike. "On the count of three... 1 - 2 - 3!" We all pull up the bike simultaneously....... and that's when I hear "snap-snap-snap-snap-snap-snap-snap-POP-snap-snap-POP-snap-snap".

My left bicep has been severely torn. :( The June30 start date for BBG Hell Week is pretty much out of the question now. :( :( :(

I just got back from my Doctor, and I am scheduled for a MRI on July 5th. Depending on what they find, if the shit looks bad, I am looking at surgery to re-attach the tendon.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: If it's simple case of big-time muscle tear, there is little to be done except for a little rehab therapy. I'll work the issue as best I can, but I won't be able to start this BBG Hell Week run on the original schedule.... I will slip the date to the first full week in August (which will be Aug 5-11).

WORSE CASE SCENARIO: The tendon is completely ruptured and requires surgery to correct. Depending on the severity, the surgey could be arthroscopic, or, they might have lay the arm open.. If this happens...... the rehab time and physical therapy will likely be for many weeks afterward. If this is the case... I will pretty much be forced to postpone the BBGHW run until next summer. :(

And for those of you who have never seen the results of a severely torn muscle, here's what my left arm looks like as of this afternoon:

leftbicep_Jun26.jpg

Pretty sweet, huh? :(

I would be one of the fudgepackers in question and it was a surreal scene that my brain just did not engage properly.

Sorry my friend.

2 seconds of bike dumpage and then 4 seconds of bike lifting. Then the look on your face and the words...."I felt something pop and tear." :dribble:

....I won't utter the "s" word. It's gotta be the best case scenario. (cross fingers)

I thought your arm would have been stronger than that!! (with all those 12oz curls and all) :D

Since you have the graphic up, for all those wondering about Scab. take that pic, put it on your ribs, make it blacker, and add a few gashes.

Dale, this just proves the FJR is the Karma Bike for this attempt. :)

Hope you feel better soon.

Oh, If you get delayed to next summer, take the donations and put them in a CD or something. maybe with the yeild from savings you'll be able to afford to do 4 of the 7 davs at next years gas prices ;)

Wow, man............psychedelic! :wow:

Dale, sorry to hear the rest of the continuing story. Now its a matter of time to heal. I've heard that Nevada is really nice in the Fall..... :unsure: ....so put the funds in escrow, get yourself back into riding shape....and go for it! :yahoo:

The most important part is that you get well.

WC, sorry to see that, it really blows.

Damn that hurts just lookin at it. yeeouch! hope it's just the muscle issue.

:jester:

I wrestled quite a while trying to decide to post this or not, but... if I don't do something soon, the event may not happen at all.
Here is the deal:

I intend to establish a new World Record for Endurance Riding, and I intend to use the Blackbird to do it. This ride has been almost a year in planning.

One of the Iron Butt Association's "Extreme" Rides is known as the Bun Burner GOLD, which is a documented ride that covers 1,500 miles in less than 24 hours. There's also a "BBG3000", which is two back-to-back Bun Burner GOLD rides. In 2003, I was rallymaster for such a ride, and myself and 25 other riders set a new World Record during that event.

Since that time, several adventurous souls have tried to better this mark by attempting 3 (and even 4!) back-to-back BunBurner GOLD riders. As of this writing, a very small handful of riders have been able to complete three (3) documented back-to-back Bun Burner GOLD rides, and one has managed to complete four (4) consecutive Bun Burner GOLD rides. The latter is the current record as of this writing.

When I first started planning this project almost a year ago, I budgeted gasoline at $2.70/gallon. Now that it is closing in on $4.00/gallon in some of the regions I'll be riding in, this is turning out to be a huge issue. I am endeavoring to mitigate the problem by introducing steps to increase my MPG range (throttling back a little, doing painfully slow starts, and going up to a 18T countersprocket, etc).

However, I now calculate that I am several hundred dollars short on my fuel budget.

It's demoralizing, in that I have actually garnered quite a bit of sponsorship for this event already.... Avon North America is providing tires (3 sets of Storms), Western Power Sports has donated a case of Silkolene 10-50W Race Synthetic and 4 K&N oil filters: BLM-Accessories.com built and donated the extra fuel cells to allow me to carry 21.6 gallons of fuel, VancoSport has donated chain and sprockets, etc, etc, etc.

Yet, I'm unlikely to find a oil company that's going to give me a unlimited fuel card, so... fuel cost I must bear alone.

I will need approximately 375 gallons of fuel strictly during the event itself As fuel is going for $3.50 to $4.00 per gallon, event fuel cost alone is going to run me anywhere from $1400 to $1500!!!!

ONLY IF YOU FEEL SO INCLINED, you can donate to help me put a mark in the World Record books buy tossing some $$$ into a PayPal account set up strictly for this "Bun Burner GOLD Hell Week" event:

[email protected]

No amount is to large or too small; all amounts are graciously accepted. I will be using these donations for a single purpose only: to purchase pre-paid gas card from Shell, Chevron, Mobil One, etc. This way, I don't have to be concerned of a credit card/debit card going offline due to the bank seeing heavy number of fuel purchases every day from June 30-July 6.

If you don't (or won't) do PayPal, you can certainly send donations by snail-mail and/or purchase fuel cards directly and send them my way! You can score pre-paid gas cards at https://www.svmcards.net Just drop me a PM if you need a mailing address for me.

Well, there it is folks...... if I'm going to set a World Record, I need a little help from my forum brethren.

Again, any donation at all is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!

Web Site for this event: BunBurner GOLD Hell Week

FrtRtQtr_KA-6D.jpg

WarChild,

Just made a small contribution to help with your gas. Just a little token to thank you for all the help you have provided me.

You may be interested in knowing that home for me and my FJR is on the very eastern side of the island province of Newfoundland, Canada. This is as far east as you can go in North America.

Good Luck,

Newfie Bullet

WC,

Sorry to hear the news. I thought my torn tendon in the right elbow was bad enough, but you have the bruising to go with it. Heal well, heal fast, and I look forward to hearing of your success with this venture.

I would be one of the fudgepackers in question and it was a surreal scene that my brain just did not engage properly.
Sorry my friend.

2 seconds of bike dumpage and then 4 seconds of bike lifting. Then the look on your face and the words...."I felt something pop and tear." :dribble:

....I won't utter the "s" word. It's gotta be the best case scenario. (cross fingers)

The shame!!! and a fellow Tri-Cityian...

Dale - hope this doesn't keep you out of the race too long - keep us posted.

You still-da-man.