Help me ride into the World Record books!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really sorry to see that happen to you WC,hope that it's the best case scenerio.

Maybe a fall run would be best anyway and give you more time to recuperate and get the bike back in order.

How is the XX anyway.Best wish's to you.

WC, sorry to hear about the injury. Do as the Docs suggest as the best course of action for your recovery. It is sometimes is tough for us to accept taking it easy but it is necessary. I remember well how I felt when I was recovering from my aorta surgery in Dec 05. I took it easy during the first month after the repair, then began riding after 30 days, slowly and carefully at first, of course, but have been riding daily since then. As you know, riding is great therapy. Good luck with the recovery.

VR

Damn Man, Haven't seen colors like that since the '60s. You know what you've got to do as hard as it seems. Good Luck and hoping for the best outcome. I'll be donating to your trip after my vacation ....You got the bad shit out of the way all in a couple of days, nothing but good Karma coming back atcha now.

Man... and you wern't even moving.

I am bummed for you, what were the chances of that happening just before making a record run :(

leftbicep_Jun26.jpg

Pretty sweet, huh? :(

That's farkin nasty, probably doesn't feel too good either. Heal up man.

I had a thigh that looked like that after getting a softball laced back at me while pitching a year or so ago... hurt like a mother.

How'd the XX fair in all this... we heard stories about leaking gaskets and shit.

Hope for the best...

WC, sorry to hear about the injury.
WC,

I saw TurboDave's reply above before I saw your post and photo and thought you had a get-off or something. After seeing the photo I hope it looks worse than it is. So even though the ride's postponed, I'm betting you'll heal up nicely and be knocking out those miles soon enough. Take care of yourself.

Craig

Mannnn Ur a hairy bastage aint ya. :p

Lemme know if I can help you bro.... We are golden for tomarrow or next year.... If you need some shit first you gotta take some anti hairy pills :lol

Damn WC!! At least say you got in a bar fight or something!! Get some mileage out of this (no pun intended).

In any event, don't sweat the BBGHW. Git yer healin' done, then reassess when the time is right. Good luck on that MRI!

-BD

I would be one of the fudgepackers in question and it was a surreal scene that my brain just did not engage properly.
Don't beat yourself up over it. When destiny steps up, mortals must stand down. For some reason we can only speculate on, it wasn't meant to be, yet.

Heal up WC, and ride like a man possessed another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
May I prescribe a few rounds of the glorious givings of the Blue Agave? Dang, that's major suckage. My ribs send well wishes to your arm. ;)

Holy crap!

I was just arriving in Utah when you were leaving, Dale. I must admit you didn't look like a happy camper at that moment. I thought you had bike problems, having seen the report a week ago, and that was why you wore such a heavy frown.

Of all the things that could have possibly derailed your ride, no-way was what actually happened ever a thought.

Hey, I know you'll do this some day so I'm adding some dollars to the coffer and wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards

tel

Dale, that hurts just to look at it - ouch !!

Major Suckage!

Do what the Dr.'s say - the idea here is to get back in the saddle.

See you at WFO

WC, pretty much what everyone else said. Hope you get well soon and little pain along the way to healing. We are very interested in your endevor to break the record and we're still with ya on this. All the best bro. to get back in good health, PM. <>< :thumbsup:

You suck, dude. Had all this pent up energy that I met someone that was going to be in the books of fame....and ya blew it. Too bad ya don't have a tip jar....I'd throw some cash in it. (paypal is evil).

How'd the XX fair in all this... we heard stories about leaking gaskets and shit.
The oil leak proved to be my own doing. :angry2:

After installing new spark plugs before the 1088, upon reassembly I had pinched the crankcase breather hose closed. Pressure (obviously) builds up in the crankcase if it can't breathe, so it found the "seal of least resistance" to leak out the built-up pressure, which in this case is that little $2.98 seal that fits around the shift selector shaft.

This seal is a soft "press-fit", and is only retained by a modest 'C'-clamp, and even then, the 'C'-clamp only covers 1/3 of the seal. The pressure build-up was so great, the other 2/3's of the seal "pooched out" of its recess and allowed oil to stream out.

The seal in question is Item #21 below. The little 'C'-clamp is item #6, and as you can see, it only fits maye 1/3 of the circumference of the seal. There is (normally) very little pressure behind this seal, unless you **** up and close off the crankcase breather hose.... :angry2:

seal_diagram.jpg

After returning the hose to it's proper position on Sunday, I've put about 100 miles on the bike to test it out, some of it approaching XX-Nominal speeds out on the High Plains. Happily, the engine bay is once again bone-dry and 100% leak-free.

Which is very, very good, as I have several other items that need to get addressed before resuming the training runs. The two biggest items being:

i) the fuel pump for the two side aux tanks has gone tits-up, so I will be replacing that tonight.

ii) I am not 100% happy with my Hydration system on the XX, because the drinking tube collapses above 95-ish mph. I need to find a way to "stiffen up" the tubing such that the wind doesn't collapse it at speed, and/or otherwise re-configure the drinking tube orientation such that it sits more out of the air stream.

MEDICAL UPDATE: Went to my doctor's yesterday afternoon; he is none too please with the arm. He thinks I am a surgery candidate based upon his external exam, but he can't say for sure until I have a MRI done. I am scheduled for this procedure on July 5th.

Wish me luck. Think heavy Karma thoughts for a partially torn tendon as the worse case..... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

...... I had pinched the crankcase breather hose closed. Pressure (obviously) builds up in the crankcase if it can't breathe, so it found the "seal of least resistance" to leak out ........
MEDICAL UPDATE:[/b] Went to my doctor's yesterday afternoon; he is none too please with the arm. He thinks I am a surgery candidate .........

Wish me luck. Think heavy Karma thoughts for a partially torn tendon as the worse case..... :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Interesting Dale, that scenerio never showed up on my radar when thinking what could *possibly* be causing the problem. Of course, it now makes sense. While it cost a lot of time, grief and anxiety, ..at leat you were able to idenfity the problem, and the fix was easily addressable.

Best of luck with the arm, that is a big ouchy you got there. I'm surprised you were as mobile as you seemed after it happend ....you're either a tough SOB or had some good pharmaceuticals (perhaps both).

Good thoughts going your way. Best of luck on all.

Dale,

I just read this. :blink: Sorry to hear about the injury, bro.

Wish you luck on the surgery. I know you'll keep us updated.

Stef